R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #11221
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Carter View Post
Niznai,

Were not allowed to use slicks at our club will the M grip radials be ok? I take it there better than the kit tyres? And are M's softer than S's?
I was talking about M grips, wasn't I? I found slicks don't work on our track (low grip carpet) at all. Outside, on high traction tarmac it's a different story. I am not sure about softer but they are grippier.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 01-09-2010 at 08:25 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #11222
Tech Adept

Default Tyres

Been reading loads about tyres M grips & S Grips etc but can someone tell me what are the standard tyres inthe M05 Pro kit are they any good do they work on carpet or tarmac or should I just leave em in the box??
Bosscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #11223
Tech Elite

The kit radials are not that bad. I don't remember the part number, but you can have a look on the Tamiya site at any M-chassis kit and it will be int he part listing. RTR kits have a different tire, i think the compound is similar, but the size is smaller (they're the same size as HPI tires).

They're good for tarmac, not so good on carpet. Not sure if they're the best (I think S-grips are marginally better) and there's scores of other tyres, but really for tarmac I don't think you need to worry too much (unless you're running on a very small twisty track where they don't really help curb understeer). M-grips or S-grips work better. Slicks work too. Use hard inserts (foam) or TC car inserts cut to size, or mini-size inserts (same material as TC). HPI x-pattern are even better.

On carpet it gets tricky. What I found was that the best grip was with S-grips. M-grips are close, so if you're after fine tuning the grip balance between front and rear, S-grips and M-grips can be used in conjunction to bias the rear or the front as the situation requires.

There are also plenty of slicks of all sorts, but I found none works on carpet.

One other aspect I found was that inserts can make a difference just like for TC. This is a matter of experimentation but you can start by using readily available inserts, foam or TC inserts cut to size. A firmer insert can help you increase grip to a point so you have to be keep a keen eye out to catch what is happening to the car as you change various inserts. Some people use even TC car inserts and foams inside the insert to make the tires extra stiff. This doesn't work on carpet. On tarmac it does but be careful again, your car may grip roll.

Anyway, it is just a case of experimenting. To keep costs down, you might want to not glue the tires so you can change inserts and glue them once you're happy.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #11224
Tech Rookie

anyone have the abc mini pickup body on a m03? ive read you need to run the tl01 body posts in the rear, but im concerned about the width.
ryhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #11225
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Andrew_Carter

I dont no if you guys over the pond have these, but everyone seems to use these on carpet in the UK, but the wheels are super brittle.There Ansman tyres.
Anybody ran them??

Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #11226
jcr
Tech Regular

I got the M03 and M03L... now want to convert one of the M03 to the M03M.... is it me or it is a pain in the butt to make it a M wheelbase because you need to take the front of the chassis a part in order to install the chassis. Is there an easier way?
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #11227
Tech Rookie

Default Mo5

I will be buying a Mo5 tomarrow. This will be my first Tamiya kit. I could use some help on setting this car up. I know i will get some help from the hobby
shop i am buying it from, but could also use some help from other folks.
I have read on line to use TRF shocks, and to use the "M" tire on the front
and the "S" tire on the rear. Any other help would be apreciated.
NC State
nc state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #11228
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

jcr,

You only need to undo four screws on the MO3, put in the extender, which can be done with the chassis together and then bolt the rear to the extension.

There are two internal and two external screws. I have not had to pull the front chassis halves apart.

Later,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #11229
jcr
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
jcr,

You only need to undo four screws on the MO3, put in the extender, which can be done with the chassis together and then bolt the rear to the extension.

There are two internal and two external screws. I have not had to pull the front chassis halves apart.

Later,

Calvin.
Calvin, how do you put the internal screws in without pulling it apart? Screw driver kind of having a hard time reaching in from that angle
Old 01-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #11230
Tech Elite

nc state,

Not sure if you intend to use the car for TCS racing, however we hardly use the Tamiya tyres here in Australia. Some use them on carpet, but we have found the 55mm diameter tyres to be way better. We have found that the Tamiya tyres do not wear well and push on entry to corners. The smaller diameter tyre is faster overall on the majority of our tracks.

We use the Ride slicks up front 3035's and Cross 36 on the rear. Use a firm insert in both.

The Ride, Pit Shimizu, Cross, Spice, Powers, Sweep and Solaris mini tyres are all long wearing. The x-patterns do not last very long any more and are not as good as the others listed. For carpet Kawada, HPI M grips and those Ansman are good tyres.

When you get your MO5, let me know via PM and I will pass on some info.

The other place to read all about mini's is to go to this web site:

http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index.php

Regards,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 01-11-2010 at 05:30 AM. Reason: xtra text
Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #11231
Tech Elite

jcr,

Seperate the front and rear of the chassis if MO3 and if MO3L then remove the 239 spacer. Take the two 225mm spacers and then screw to the front chassis half using a screw driver at an angle. The top two screws will go in easily and the bottom just a little perserverance. It can be done. The alternate is to use hex heads screws and use a ball hex to put the screw in. Then just mount the rear of the chassis to the extension piece.

I am looking at my MO3M chassis now and that is how I did it when I changed it from a short.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #11232
jcr
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
jcr,

Seperate the front and rear of the chassis if MO3 and if MO3L then remove the 239 spacer. Take the two 225mm spacers and then screw to the front chassis half using a screw driver at an angle. The top two screws will go in easily and the bottom just a little perserverance. It can be done. The alternate is to use hex heads screws and use a ball hex to put the screw in. Then just mount the rear of the chassis to the extension piece.

I am looking at my MO3M chassis now and that is how I did it when I changed it from a short.

Regards,

Calvin.
ok guess it works. Needed to pre tap the threads into the plastic then use a narrow shaft screwdriver for the bottom screw.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #11233
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Carter View Post
I dont no if you guys over the pond have these, but everyone seems to use these on carpet in the UK, but the wheels are super brittle.There Ansman tyres.
Anybody ran them??

2 kids at our club run them !!!!!

they are shite , no grip and smaller then the tamiya , thus no top speed

i use M grip front and S grip rears , that combination works well
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #11234
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosscat View Post
Been reading loads about tyres M grips & S Grips etc but can someone tell me what are the standard tyres inthe M05 Pro kit are they any good do they work on carpet or tarmac or should I just leave em in the box??
Im not an expert, but Ive been running MuchMore Sweeps. Really good price (for a pack of 4), heaps of grip & outlast any of the tamiya tyres Ive tried
Ive a 9T brushless, so I was going through a pair of Tamiya tyres every other session. Still on the same set of Sweeps.
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-min...?cPath=35_1385
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #11235
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Mini body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhi View Post
anyone have the abc mini pickup body on a m03? ive read you need to run the tl01 body posts in the rear, but im concerned about the width.
I had one a while ago on an M03. It was a perfect fit and the best looking of all my bodies. I only had it for show and it attracted lots of attention. I will definately be getting another one.
Terry
Team Ash is offline   Reply With Quote