R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #10666
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm starting to wonder if the M-05 was actually worth switching to. It seems that a lot of people are having difficulty finding a good set-up and finding consistency. I have learned that it's a much harder car to traction roll than the M-03, but given all the compromises one has to make...

I suppose the other problem would be maintenance. The car is harder to work on if you've stripped a gear. I can swap out gears in an M-03 in between heats easily enough. The 5 takes a little more time.

I wonder if they have perhaps over-complicated things and that maybe the simplicity of the M-03 is the right way to go.

Doesn't matter this weekend though. I'm running the M-04.

Jim
Old 11-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #10667
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
I'm starting to wonder if the M-05 was actually worth switching to. It seems that a lot of people are having difficulty finding a good set-up and finding consistency. I have learned that it's a much harder car to traction roll than the M-03, but given all the compromises one has to make...

I suppose the other problem would be maintenance. The car is harder to work on if you've stripped a gear. I can swap out gears in an M-03 in between heats easily enough. The 5 takes a little more time.

I wonder if they have perhaps over-complicated things and that maybe the simplicity of the M-03 is the right way to go.

Doesn't matter this weekend though. I'm running the M-04.

Jim
i have to agree totally

but i got the gearbox out in 5 mins on this M05 too i think it is the same to take apart as the M03

i hope to get it as good if not better but first impressions are not good
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #10668
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So...everyones finally coming to the same conclusion that we did fairly quickly...

It's not a BETTER car, it's a 'different' car...

Yes it can be made to work, but it's a hard road to get it there sometimes. Going back to the M03 is like the Ass Groove in Homers couch...
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #10669
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
So...everyones finally coming to the same conclusion that we did fairly quickly...

It's not a BETTER car, it's a 'different' car...

Yes it can be made to work, but it's a hard road to get it there sometimes. Going back to the M03 is like the Ass Groove in Homers couch...
do you have a good set up for one on carpet !!!

PLEASE HELP Mr RCmini
Old 11-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #10670
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We don't run em - we all still run M03's.

All our M05's are just occupying space on the shelves.
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #10671
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
We don't run em - we all still run M03's.

All our M05's are just occupying space on the shelves.
SHIT !!!!

i will not be beaten by the bloody thing LOL
Old 11-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #10672
Tech Adept

My first NEW kit in FIVE years and this thread is depressing me before I have even sat down to build it!!

I have been saving for this and savouring the thought of great a night sitting down and building it with all the hop ups. Stop spoiling it please!!!

Per rcmini.net it seems to need some 'wearing in' and suddenly it works, lets stick to that until I have at least had 2 races with it!

Could it be tire related? Works best with Tamiya tires?

The pulling to the left/right I cannot understand as the drivetrain is unaltered from M03. That leaves tires, shocks, uprights, links and diff (but experienced racers would not all be 'forgetting' how to set diffs all together). So, shouldn't we be looking at these? (hopeful! )
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #10673
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
My first NEW kit in FIVE years and this thread is depressing me before I have even sat down to build it!!

I have been saving for this and savouring the thought of great a night sitting down and building it with all the hop ups. Stop spoiling it please!!!

Per rcmini.net it seems to need some 'wearing in' and suddenly it works, lets stick to that until I have at least had 2 races with it!

Could it be tire related? Works best with Tamiya tires?

The pulling to the left/right I cannot understand as the drivetrain is unaltered from M03. That leaves tires, shocks, uprights, links and diff (but experienced racers would not all be 'forgetting' how to set diffs all together). So, shouldn't we be looking at these? (hopeful! )
i enjoyed the build

just the driving was arse

i will persist with it and see how it goes

i am going to use the standard diff and re do the shocks TRF ones

and remove the front Adjustable upper arms as i think they are only usable for the rears
Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #10674
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shangrila, the M05 is a much better car depending on the track. It is worth buying.

In the 2009 Tamiya Asia Cup held in Thailand, the winner (who will represent Asia in Japan Worlds) drove an M05. I believe the top 7 cars in the A main were M05. I drove an M03, ended up 8th. (Yes I tested both M05 and M03 on my local track and chose to run M03 in Thailand). But for that track, the M05 was quicker. I regretted not bringing my M05.

The strong Hong Kong team (who has dominated M chassis in Asia for 6 years) started out with M03s. Later on they all eventually switched to M05s.

Spend time tuning your M05, you made the right choice buying it.

Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #10675
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, I feel for you too, but it is worth to persevere.

I bought the M-05 Pro when it was first available in Asia a couple of months ago. Being the first mini I had, I built it exactly as per the instructions except that I used 50mm Yeah shocks front and rear. I installed a Yeah 13T BL motor to power it. Enjoyed the build very much and then I hit the track. On the standard tires the car had way too much understeer. It was like skating through the corners, but a lot of fun. It was very twitchy in steering, but did not pull to one side when accellerating. Then I started tuning it. Took out as much slop from the steering. This made the car awful to drive. Could not hold a straight line at speed. I also stuffed the diff with grease to simulate a tight ball diff. During accelleration this caused the car to pull to the left like a rocket. Put in 60wt oil in the shocks which caused massive oversteer. So now I am back to where it was before - stock standard, no tuning except for the afore mentioned shocks and 35wt oil. I have also replaced the tires with Tamiya 60D's. There is still some understeer, but much less so and the car is a pleasure to drive. On the 60D's it does not roll, no matter how fast or how sharp I turn it. Yes, there is slop everywhere and the diff spins freely without any grease in it. I fixed the twitchy steering by adjusting the steering expo on my radio and added 60g weight on top of the right hand side battery holder to even out the weight distribution. After 20 minutes practice runs the motor is at 130F and the only hop up I am considering is the alluminium motor mount in anticipation of the hot summer coming up in Australia.

The M-05 is a fun car to drive. Keep it bog standard and leave all the slop in it. Once you get used to the twitchy steering you will get hours of fun. I do.
brrrrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #10676
Tech Adept

Feeling much better!

Thank you. I now look forward to building it late this week

I did get the TA03 ball diff tho, I don't feel like wasting it tho so I will put it in during the build. I could only afford a second hand set of TRF shocks (no instructions though), but that left enough to get the correct M chassis new shafts and cylinders (the 2nd hand set are the old larger size for touring cars) so I am looking for info on how many orings, if any, I should put inside the shock to set the height?

I will be running on carpet, race in 2 weeks, and will post up how it feels!

Thanks for putting up the positive comments!
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #10677
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shangrila, tighten that ball diff to full lock and use locktite to keep from loosening. Also put the gear side offset to the right side of the chassis. Put enough orings (probably 3) so arms are level, that should be ballpark setting.

Try red springs front, blue rear. 30 - 40wt oil. Tell us how you do in your race.

ty.

p.s. i find the m05 to also have better rotational speed than the m03. smoother around the corners.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #10678
Tech Apprentice

I bought an M-05 Pro as soon as it was released, and like a lot of people, initially found it difficult to setup and get it to have consistent handling. But, I've been running it one race night per week for a couple of months now, and I feel it's now run in and handles well. I still take my M-03 along as a backup car, but it only rarely gets used, if something on the M-05 breaks and I don't have the time/parts to fix it trackside.

What setup works is going to vary a lot from person to person, track to track. I race on an indoor carpet track, and my current setup is:

Front -
Blue springs
50wt oil
3-hole pistons
Hard (silver) anti-roll bar
Ride 3035 hard tyres w/ Spice 5mm hard inserts
Suspension arms level

Rear -
Yellow springs
40wt oil
3-hole pistions
No anti-roll bar
RP 24 soft tyres w/ Much More Sweep soft inserts
Suspension arms level

Yeah Racing 13T brushless system
3Racing alloy steering kit and F+R alloy shock mounts
Tamiya TRF M-chassis alloy shocks, CVD's, alloy motor mount w/ heatsink bars, alloy uprights F+R
X-Spede spool
~1350g ready to race

Last edited by Toon; 11-09-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #10679
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi guys!

New to this thread and my first post. I have been searching and reading it for a few days now. I too am one of those M03 owners who just bought an M05 Pro kit, ignoring the initial reviews, simply because it's design makes a lot more sense. I look forward to the build, the drive, and the challenge of making it faster than my M03 which is on rails right now.

Now what I really wanted to ask about is TCS rules, and bring back the topic of the 3racing fast gear set. I read back a bit that most people had deemed this gear set illegal, but rule number 2 of the general rules says:

#2 Any manufacturer's electronic speed control, radio equipment, servo saver, antenna, antenna mount, pinion and spur gears, ball bearing, tire inserts, motor fan, motor heat sink are allowed in all classes.

So if that is the case, and you run just the smaller spur gear, and keep the 20t pinion, but just run it in a different hole, it should be legal.

....again all this meaning that you don't run on a tiny track where you can't use it. I will be running this winter season on 2 different tracks, one being quite a bit smaller than the other one so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to do it at all at the tighter track.... but just wanted some reaction and thoughts.

Also has anyone tried any of the really thick silicone fluids in the gear diff to see what they did... like 300K kyosho or traxxas stuff??

Thanks!
Speedy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #10680
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

3 things made a massive difference to the car.

use a rear tire with a full insert - many 03's had a thin or oeven foam stip insert, the 05 seems to wander on anything but a harder packed tire.
Go back to the kit plastic rear uprights, being 2 degree instead of 1.5 for the alloy locks the rear in a million times more.
turn your steering speed way down, i think mine is on around 50% speed, with about 30% neg expo. The rack seems to give the steering servo extra leverage. I also eliminated the servo saver, just put a dodgy cut down kit arm in, metal gear servo, the dodgy servo arm will break first.

It is still a little hairy on power in a straight line, but these changes made it a million times better.