Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

been reading the silver can vs brushless thing.

As a self proclaimed n00b I find it very surprising that some people are totally cool with motors that can perform so differently as people say. And when you start talking about 'water dipping' them at x volts for y minutes to get a better engine you're probably not a novice? I see people with tire warmers, laptops, battery coolers, etc etc I don't think that those people are worried about cost.

There's an engine rpm limit in most form of motorsport right? why not mini RC?

I don't even race yet. some of you scare me with how serious you take it...anyway that's my 2 cents
Old 08-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skitee
Our TCS series has been runing Sport Tuned motors for the last 3 seasons, we gear them with the 20t pinion and they've been lasting anywhere from from one and a half seasons to two full seasons with frequent cleaning etc.
Thing is there can be so much difference between one sport tuned and another.

I tended to get only a few races out of one before it was noticably slower.

The hobbywing combo though, lasts and lasts, and from what I've seen are very consistant one motor to another.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

torg,

Different countries have different mini rules. That is why some run silver cans, black cans and BL systems.

The inequality between Tamiya sport tuned motors,(black cans) was reducing the number of racers running in the mini class, to the extent that numbers were falling at major competitions. Some racers would purchase a box of motors and keep the best four or five and sell the rest. Thats how serious the top racers are.

To bring back equality etc, here in Australia we experimented with a variety of BL systems using 17.5, 21.5 and then using the Hobbywing system with a 3300 Kv, motor and then finally a 3000 Kv motor. The system that was universally adopted was the Hobbywing 25 or 35 Amp speed control matched to a etched 13T motor,(3000Kv). This has been adopted by most states here within Australia as have the mini rules, so that we are all running the same.

What we have found by doing this, is that the mini class has grown considerably and that at the major meets the mini class has the most entries. For us it has been a win/win situation. We have also seen the cars are all equal in speed and it comes back to setup and driving skills.

I am not proposing that everyone has to adopt the same rules as us in Australia, just that we are very happy with the results. All that most racers have said in this thread is just how good it has been for us.

The BL system is relatively cheap and makes for almost nil maintenance. I am not going to argue about prices of speed controllers and brushed motors etc, as to be competitive we all spent more on this than the cost of a BL system.

For info we have always run 20 tooth pinions with black cans and the BL system. If you run a smaller pinion you will not be competitive. Simple as that.

Am I happy with our approach, you had better believe it. The class is growing quickly and the introduction of the MO5 has seen the class grow even faster. A lot of our gun drivers are beginning to run mini as they see how much fun we have and the close racing adds to the thrills. The MO5 with its better handling characteristics has proven that it traction rolls less than the MO3.

We have also opened up the body shell rule which has seen a grid of completely different cars which adds to the spectators enjoyment.

That's my two bob's worth, take it or leave it.

Have a nice day and Happy racing.

Later,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 08-31-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: xtra text.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mild seven
mild seven FYI , Im glad you edit that post , you had some harsh words on there . ( I can see everything)
Old 08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Anyone know how much weight (approx) you have to add to an M03R with a 2400 orion Lipo ?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
Square have released alloy C hubs for the MO5 and two degree alloy rear uprights, same configeration as the 1.5 degree.

Regards,

Calvin.
What is the easiest method to purchase "Square" products. I live in Canada, so jumping on a plane would be a little to pricey. The internet sites I've found don't have their (Square's) full catalogue of parts. Any online sites that you can recommend?? I want the titanium rear axles, and a couple other mini related parts.

It's my understanding that Champ sells alot of their products. Is there any other places that are good?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Redbones,

Are you sure the camber links are for the front of the MO5? I see that in the kit there is only enough parts to make one set. Although you do get extra bits, they do not supply enough mounting hardware for two sets to make front and rear. I am sure they are for the rear. These would not be necessary on a MO5 PRO.

After translating the text through Babelfish, the Tamiya hopups will not be available until the afternoon of 19 Sep.

Scribbler,

I would try Champ or Jason's store on Ebay.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by caltek1
Redbones,

Are you sure the camber links are for the front of the MO5? I see that in the kit there is only enough parts to make one set. Although you do get extra bits, they do not supply enough mounting hardware for two sets to make front and rear. I am sure they are for the rear. These would not be necessary on a MO5 PRO.

After translating the text through Babelfish, the Tamiya hopups will not be available until the afternoon of 19 Sep.

Scribbler,

I would try Champ or Jason's store on Ebay.

Regards,

Calvin.

Yeah I thought it was funny too that they give you extras if it was only for the rear. You'd think that they will be specific enough to say "rear upper arm set"
Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scribbler
What is the easiest method to purchase "Square" products. I live in Canada, so jumping on a plane would be a little to pricey. The internet sites I've found don't have their (Square's) full catalogue of parts. Any online sites that you can recommend?? I want the titanium rear axles, and a couple other mini related parts.

It's my understanding that Champ sells alot of their products. Is there any other places that are good?

Thanks
You could try Rainbow 10, their service is good, but the prices are full japanese retail ... that's still cheaper than a lot of places though. They have a lot of Square parts listed on their Inventory list ... and a lot of other mini parts you don't see listed in other places

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html
Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jag- An M03R built out of the box with normal sized electronics will come in pretty much at 1200 grams. That was the weight minimum at the TCS Nats this past weekend and most racers were running somewhere between 1200 and 1240. My long M03 was at 1226, and I had maybe 30 grams of lead in it but no lightweight (e.g. titanium or carbon) parts. Some guys like to add weight because with their setup it lessens traction rolling, but we have not had that problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Hey Calvin- your last post shows a lot of widsom and knowledge-
Thanks, Eric
Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Hello Eric,

Not sure which post, but if it is the one concerning the mini rules here in Aust, then Tony Gray, TonyP and Tim are responsible for them. Some of us others had a minor input. The biggest hurdle was to get them accepted by the other states within Australia.

The situation has seen a boom in Mini racing here in Australia and it shows no signs of stopping. If this continues then perhaps mini will be the biggest class at the majority of events.We like that.

Happy Racing,

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Calvin I was referring to the one to torg. Tony Gray, TonyP, and Tim-
Thanks! sure could use the help here in Central Calif. re:track layouts, etc. Hobbywing is a rare animal here in the US- at least I think it is. I haven't found any suppliers. Our LHS's are mostly order only and have limited (if any) Mini Cooper parts. The M-05 has caught my attention and I will be on the hunt.
Thanks for all the info!
Eric
Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Interesting question about the Hobbywing 13T BL system: Will they manufacture it without any changes for long enough for it to become a "standard"?

Mabuchi has been making the same motors for decades, so they've become completely accepted as the standard. Can other companies provide the same longevity, or will they constantly change their designs to suit the moment?

It would be nice if these motors were to gain the same sort of status as a silver can.

Jim
Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Interesting question about the Hobbywing 13T BL system: Will they manufacture it without any changes for long enough for it to become a "standard"?

Mabuchi has been making the same motors for decades, so they've become completely accepted as the standard. Can other companies provide the same longevity, or will they constantly change their designs to suit the moment?

It would be nice if these motors were to gain the same sort of status as a silver can.

Jim
Like all things if it became a standard there would be no need to change it so higher usage would ensure its survival.

At this stage Hobbywing have no intentions of changing it. The Version 2 only really had USB compatability added to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.