R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #9601
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And I agree, the 3Racing ball diff give a less than satisfactory performance. To top it off you have to modify the chassis to get it in.
scribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #9602
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer

[QUOTE=monkeyracing;6101396][QUOTE=tamiyarcracer;6099255] Put the bearing in the diff housing first, then the 2 clam shell washers, then the bolt.
Quote:

Hi, hate to keep asking questions about this, but...

So, after removing the thrust bearing and washers, the only parts reinstalled are the bearing and 2 washers? Just want to be sure I'm not messing it up when I try it.

Jim
Don't forget the bolt,

But yes you are correct.

bolt 2 washers and 1 bearing
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #9603
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default MO5

Well I have just returned from some more testing of my MO5 at Whalan. I experimented with more tyre combinations and the car can be as fickle as a MO3. The car is more forgiving if the combination is incorrect, doesn't traction roll, just slides the rear out. I have found that the car does have more corner speed and seems to sit flatter on the track.

The track surface was very dirty and the car still went where I wanted it to go. I also ran my MO3L which works very well at the same track and the MO5L is easier to drive.

I will do some more experimenting tomorrow with car setup, rather than tyres, as I have a seven different combinations that work with my current car setup. I just want try differnt springs and camber positions on the car. THe MO5 is less susceptible to initial corner traction rolls, which allows you to run more rounded tyres on the front. From experience here in Sydney we have found that the squarer edged tyres on the front are more stable on the MO3 and induce less traction roll problems.

At present my car weighs 1318gms minus transponder, with 44 gms of lead added above the battery. I have found the car to be very planted at this weight. My MO3L is on the heavy side at 1497 gms to remain upright.

This car has so much potential, just needs to be played with more. I should have mentioned I do not use Tamiya mini tyres in my racing or testing at this time. I use Spice,Pit Shimizu, Rides, Kamakaze and Cross all with different inserts and combinations.

Anyway these are my thoughts.

Later,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 07-23-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: xtra text
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:50 AM   #9604
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Is/was the M05 Pro a limited release? I've tried to get one and no-one seems to have any stock, albeit they would've sold out pretty quick anyhow. Otherwise I'm out for all the hop-ups.
$$$... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #9605
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$$... View Post
Is/was the M05 Pro a limited release? I've tried to get one and no-one seems to have any stock, albeit they would've sold out pretty quick anyhow. Otherwise I'm out for all the hop-ups.
Limited release .. most likely will be back later. But for now the standard M05 kit is being released
Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #9606
Tech Elite

$$$...,

The MO5 PRO was a limited release. The MO5 is released and can be purchased O/S with the hopups if required.

Tamiya 58438 M05 Mini Cooper Racing kit

Tamiya 54180 M05 Titanium screw set

Tamiya 54177 M05 Aluminum front knuckle set

Tamiya 54178 M05 Aluminium Rear Upright

Tamiya 54121 Aluminium Horn for High Torque servo saver

This will make your kit at a higher spec than the PRO, except for the shocks. The standard kit shocks are terrible and you will also require bearings and high torque servo saver to use the aluminium horn. If you want the blue bling stuff you will have to buy that as well.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #9607
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Bugger... oh well good thing I'll be getting a tax return soon
$$$... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #9608
Suspended

Default wheel spin

what's the best way to lessen the wheel spin on my M-03

I even tried installing TT-01 wheels and still the same problem.

BTW its just a silvercan w/ stock gearing,

so its not over power
cheech&chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #9609
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Limited release .. most likely will be back later. But for now the standard M05 kit is being released
There must be some M05 Pro Kit "hold backs" for the US??? There are a number of shops advertising both the Pro and Basic kit, but it seems they haven't reached our shores yet. Maybe the Tamiya ship sank and there are thousands of M05's floating in the ocean somewhere off the coast of California.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #9610
Tech Elite

Default MO5 and MO5 PRO

Geppetto,

I think you will find it is the same for Australia, as the release date is scheduled for mid August.

Better go, have more testing today with the MO5 PRO.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #9611
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
There must be some M05 Pro Kit "hold backs" for the US??? There are a number of shops advertising both the Pro and Basic kit, but it seems they haven't reached our shores yet. Maybe the Tamiya ship sank and there are thousands of M05's floating in the ocean somewhere off the coast of California.
Please don't say that!! I ordered one from my LHS but when he told me he won't get it until mid-august he told me to go ahead and get it online. 2 weeks later, still nothing
Watch, I'll go to the beach one day and find a bunch of M05's washing up on shore.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #9612
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
Please don't say that!! I ordered one from my LHS but when he told me he won't get it until mid-august he told me to go ahead and get it online. 2 weeks later, still nothing
Watch, I'll go to the beach one day and find a bunch of M05's washing up on shore.
Tower Hobbies has just adjusted their availability date for the M05s. It's now "Mid August".

I could order from over seas, but I'll just wait. That will give me more time to decides which servo, ESC and Rx to buy.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #9613
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech&chong View Post
what's the best way to lessen the wheel spin on my M-03

I even tried installing TT-01 wheels and still the same problem.

BTW its just a silvercan w/ stock gearing,

so its not over power
Its FWD. Only way is to go easy on the throttle.
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #9614
Tech Regular

Funny thing happened about 30 minutes after I made my last post, I got my M05 Pro!!!

Spent the whole night assembling it. Would've been less had I not been um, "mind-altered" but assembly was a breeze. I think having the titanium hex screws on hand during assembly made things much easier.
One big snag though. I installed a ball diff from an old TA03F Pro and was in such an excited rush I didn't bother tearing it down and rebuilding it. So now it was giving me problems during my initial runs. I am so not looking forward to tearing down the car just to get to it.

Still, for whatever few laps I managed to put in, the car felt great and am looking forward to getting it even more hooked up. It didn't sound like a "garbage can" (that's what my Cup Racer driving buddy says about the M03's) and was actually quite quiet. My initial run also felt really good compared to the 1st time I drove my Cup Racer.

Pics to come soon but this is my M05 Pro so far
Motor: Express Duo 17.5
ESC: LRP SPX Comp Stock
Batt: Orion Carbon somethingorother lipo (temporary)
Body: Colt Toyota Yaris
Option parts: front alum uprights, titanium screws, TG10Mk2Pro fluorine shocks (temporary until I get my M-type dampeners), Ta03 ball diff

Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #9615
Tech Regular

Finally...

Body is not done yet. That'll be up tomorrow. I had to take the ball diff out and put in that monstrous drum gear diff thingy. Noticed the car seemed a bit noisier.