Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Someone help us with this one please...what the best procedure for break-in in a new motor??? Does the 21t make a difference? According to TCS rules its illegal, but there are too many divers out there running Mini coopers who are clearly faster...what's the secret...
21t pinion definetely is faster than stock 20t. However, if you get caught using it, you might loss the champioship, banned, and lose face. So, it's not worth it.
Those people who run faster because they have done few of the following :
1. Complete motor break in. Completely dipped the motor into water for 20 - 30 minutes. Spray it with motor cleaner and re-oil the bushing. If possible buy few mabuchi motors, and use motor master to find the best motor. For mabuchi motors : the older the faster.
2. Almost zero volt for NiMH or Zero volt for NiCD before charging.
3. Charge battery at higher amperes, eg. 4.5 amp for NiCD, 5.5 amp for NiMH
4. Dedicated matched battery ( racing use only )
5. High voltage battery eg. 1.197+ per cell
6. Perfect racing lines everytime with zero mistake.
7. Perfect car setup.
8. Tamiya Super Slick 60D.
9. Some said Not to grease the gears.... I oppose it. Not too much grease is preferable because your mini's gears must endure 3 heats and 3 finals.
10. Set ESC to stock mode, around 1 KHz - 1.5 KHz
11. Ice cool the motor between heats eg. muchmore thermocooler