R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #9091
Tech Elite
 
Drifting101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 2,199
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
I think it's just the bodyshells that are the talking point. They are very nice. I wouldn't run one myself, though. Our racing is fair too brutal to subject something that nice to.

There seems to be a battle brewing between HPI and Tamiya right now. HPI just beat Tamiya to the punch. They've introduced their new mini, cup and F1 racers to the market before Tamiya could, and now the big T is playing catchup.

I think Tamiya will probably come out on top in the long run. They've got deeper roots in the market than anyone else.

Jim
But HPI stuffed up bad with the switch trying to beat Tamiya that it isn't much competition
__________________
::Mi4::17.5::::::M03R::HW 3000kv::::::T4::7.5::::::HB Cyclone D4::5.5::

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #9092
Tech Fanatic
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 945
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
I must admit, I'm bewildered as to the huge fuss that people are making over the Cup Racer anyway. It's just another 4WD Mini chassis. Sure the bodyshells are cool, but the chassis itself isn't all that exciting.
I couldn't agree more. HPI and ABC 1:12scale cars are basic rc designs made smaller with very detail bodys.

Tamiya makes them scale looking, scale function(scale drive train) and tough as steel!
__________________
MyForum> www.uncovertruth.forumotion.com
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #9093
Tech Elite
 
tony gray's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,212
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

This is the actual production version of the Team Atlas Beat ISW.



Quite why anyone would buy a Cup Racer when you can get something like this is beyond me. Simple design, clean, and just flat-out awesome.
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #9094
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
This is the actual production version of the Team Atlas Beat ISW.



Quite why anyone would buy a Cup Racer when you can get something like this is beyond me. Simple design, clean, and just flat-out awesome.
Probably because the Beat is nowhere to be found in the US and its belt versus shaft, shaft being more dirty parking lot friendly.

Frankly the design is the same for all the cars. Just shrunken 10th scale TCs.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #9095
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiko View Post
Well Granpa, first and foremost thanks for replying to my post. Letís start with the track surface, carpet and asphalt. These are the two surfaces that Iím planning to race on as soon as I can get all my things together.

As for the inserts I have the Muchmore pinks and the Tamiya mini gray foams. Also when you say Muchmore on the outside and the Tamiya inside as a starting point do you mean doubling both of these inserts together?

Thanks Tiko
That's right. Put the cut insert in the tire and and then lay the foam in. After inserting the wheel, you'll be able to judge whether that's the firmness you want. Generally, the longer the insert, the firmer the tire will be.

I'm strictly an asphalt racer. Know diddly-squat about carpet. However, there will be a carpet track opening here so I'm looking forward to that. I suspect that the 55mm tires stuffed hard might be an answer, but will have to bow to experienced carpet racers like Jim,aka Monkeyracing.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #9096
Tech Fanatic
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 945
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
This is the actual production version of the Team Atlas Beat ISW.



Quite why anyone would buy a Cup Racer when you can get something like this is beyond me. Simple design, clean, and just flat-out awesome.
That's sweet! Looks like a shrukin down TA05IFS lol but the shocks are more like the CupRacer.
__________________
MyForum> www.uncovertruth.forumotion.com
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #9097
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iti20090 View Post
Hi Tony

It would be useful to update the list for the outside diameters as well. The nature of our local tracks makes the extra legs of the 60D tyres a must and I have long trolled the net for a 60D alternative to the Tamiya 60D, without success, maybe because that specification is not always mentioned.

Kind regards
Dave
I may be wrong, but the HPI cup racer comes wth 60mm tires. You have to use their rims tho
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #9098
Tech Fanatic
 
tiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 937
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tiko
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
That's right. Put the cut insert in the tire and and then lay the foam in. After inserting the wheel, you'll be able to judge whether that's the firmness you want. Generally, the longer the insert, the firmer the tire will be.

I'm strictly an asphalt racer. Know diddly-squat about carpet. However, there will be a carpet track opening here so I'm looking forward to that. I suspect that the 55mm tires stuffed hard might be an answer, but will have to bow to experienced carpet racers like Jim,aka Monkeyracing.
Thanks Iíll try that.
tiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #9099
Tech Master
 
sim600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,624
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to sim600
Default

I think the Cup Racer has been selling like hot cakes because of the
1. adjustable wheelbase
2. neat variable battery holder gimmick
3. those datsun shells!
4. Hara going round beating people with his Cup Racer
but ya, mostly, it was because of the Datsun shells.

I almost got one myself but it was a lot of money for a mid-range car, so I got an ABC Genetic instead. If I had more sense, I would have just gotten back into 2WD and kept my M03. Haha.
sim600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #9100
Tech Regular
 
Low_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Posts: 353
Send a message via MSN to Low_E
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
That's right. Put the cut insert in the tire and and then lay the foam in. After inserting the wheel, you'll be able to judge whether that's the firmness you want. Generally, the longer the insert, the firmer the tire will be.

...
may I ask what the benefits are of a harder tire?
I will be racing on an asfalt track soon, in stead of the carpet races we usually drive with our Mini's, so I'm most interested.
Also, as we can only use Tamiya-tyres, I guess I should go for the A-type mini-tires?
__________________
thou shall think twice or trice before hitting thee SEND-button
Low_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #9101
Tech Master
 
PizzaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Parts Unkown
Posts: 1,015
Default

[QUOTE=sim600;5830655]I think the Cup Racer has been selling like hot cakes because of the
1. adjustable wheelbase
2. neat variable battery holder gimmick
3. those datsun shells!
4. Hara going round beating people with his Cup Racer
but ya, mostly, it was because of the Datsun shells.
QUOTE]


My guess would be availability, because HPI has a readily established dealernetwork all around the world.
All the other manufacturers of mini 4wd's don't!
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #9102
Tech Master
 
edwintklee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wonderfull place called, MALAYSIA.
Posts: 1,592
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim600 View Post
I think the Cup Racer has been selling like hot cakes because of the
1. adjustable wheelbase
2. neat variable battery holder gimmick
3. those datsun shells!
4. Hara going round beating people with his Cup Racer
but ya, mostly, it was because of the Datsun shells.

I almost got one myself but it was a lot of money for a mid-range car, so I got an ABC Genetic instead. If I had more sense, I would have just gotten back into 2WD and kept my M03. Haha.
well your old M03 its up for grabs again....
__________________
I am a Red Star, Blue Star, Fans......
edwintklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #9103
Tech Elite
 
tony gray's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,212
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_E View Post
may I ask what the benefits are of a harder tire?
I will be racing on an asfalt track soon, in stead of the carpet races we usually drive with our Mini's, so I'm most interested.
Also, as we can only use Tamiya-tyres, I guess I should go for the A-type mini-tires?

Type A's are ok...but they are compromised on turn-in. I'd be inclined to lean toward S grips myself...
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #9104
Tech Apprentice
 
ScionBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim600 View Post
I think the Cup Racer has been selling like hot cakes because of the
1. adjustable wheelbase
2. neat variable battery holder gimmick
3. those datsun shells!
4. Hara going round beating people with his Cup Racer
but ya, mostly, it was because of the Datsun shells.

I almost got one myself but it was a lot of money for a mid-range car, so I got an ABC Genetic instead. If I had more sense, I would have just gotten back into 2WD and kept my M03. Haha.
After reading this thread...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...cup-racer.html

...and judging by the numerous posts in that thread of people having to...

shim this, cut that, droop this, change that screw out, smooth out that bearing seat, use F201 springs, degrease the kit's bearings, swap out the thrust assembly with a spare Tamiya one and shaving off suspension arms, among other fixes too numerous to mention...

...the Cup Racer sounds like too much trouble.

It convinced me to buy the new Tamiya M05 chassis when it comes out.
ScionBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #9105
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_E View Post
may I ask what the benefits are of a harder tire?
I will be racing on an asfalt track soon, in stead of the carpet races we usually drive with our Mini's, so I'm most interested.
Also, as we can only use Tamiya-tyres, I guess I should go for the A-type mini-tires?
You adjust the handling of the car with the tire and insert combinations. Works the same as springs and shock oil. Where you'd go with a stiffer spring or heavier shock oil, you use a harder tire. Tires give larger changes than any spring or shock oil change in most cases.

Most of us around here have given up on the new generation 60d slicks or the A type for rear tires and only use them in the front under certain track conditions. S-grips seem to be the tire of choice except for the few who have the old cpd 60d slicks. Even those guys use them on the rear and use a soft S-grip in front.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:51 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0