R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #9076
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Tamiya also had the wheelbase change option on the FF01. The Renault body was a short wheelbase, you flipped the rear assembly to shorten it.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #9077
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Except, of course, for the mention of the M-02. Yeah, it's only a mention, but it's there.

Anyway, we've actually got a lot of M-04 running at KARZ right now. Seems people have figured out how to get them dialed in and win races with them. I'm going to run an M-04 for a while, at least until the M-05 comes out.

Jim
Old 05-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #9078
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tiko

Hi fellows Iím new to this thread, I just started to play around with my M03. I would like to know what are the best inserts or what type of inserts can I use with Tamiya 60D super grip tires thanks.

Tiko
tiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #9079
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiko View Post
Hi fellows Iím new to this thread, I just started to play around with my M03. I would like to know what are the best inserts or what type of inserts can I use with Tamiya 60D super grip tires thanks.

Tiko
Wow, lots of variables here starting with track surface and layout. Generally tho, the softer the insert, the more grip. I'd start with Tamiya
hard foam inserts all around. If the car is loose, start packing the tires firmer. Where I run, most of the guys running S-Grips are using foam in the rear and a medium soft tire insert combo up front.

To get a medium soft tire, double stuff with a cut down touring car insert and the soft Tamiya foam insert. You can vary the hardness or softness by the length of the insert. Try starting with a soft TC insert cut to 160 mm. You can make the tire softer by shortening the insert. As you can see there are many combinations you can try by varying the length of the insert, the type of TC insert, the hardess and thickness of the foam ineer insert.

Try starting with a Hpi yellow or a Muchmore pink cut to 155 to 160mm on the outside and the Tamiya soft blue foam on the inside as a starting point. Unfortunately, it's all trial and error. Frankly, if you don't have to run Tamiya tire, why bother. There a tons of tires on the market that are much better on most surfaces.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #9080
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone tried the Much More 'Sweep' slick mini tyres?

Tyres: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/tire-w...id=246&sort=1a
Inserts: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/tire-w...id=246&sort=1a

I think they are a recent release, and they're not on the tyre list at rc-mini.

I was trying to get some more Powers 32's from Dinball/rcMart, but they're currently out of stock, then saw these Sweep's and thought I'd give them a try. I've ordered a set of the 25's and a set of the 33's, along with sets of the soft/medium/hard inserts, so should be able to find a combo that works for me.
Toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #9081
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Wow, lots of variables here starting with track surface and layout. Generally tho, the softer the insert, the more grip. I'd start with Tamiya
hard foam inserts all around. If the car is loose, start packing the tires firmer. Where I run, most of the guys running S-Grips are using foam in the rear and a medium soft tire insert combo up front.

To get a medium soft tire, double stuff with a cut down touring car insert and the soft Tamiya foam insert. You can vary the hardness or softness by the length of the insert. Try starting with a soft TC insert cut to 160 mm. You can make the tire softer by shortening the insert. As you can see there are many combinations you can try by varying the length of the insert, the type of TC insert, the hardess and thickness of the foam ineer insert.

Try starting with a Hpi yellow or a Muchmore pink cut to 155 to 160mm on the outside and the Tamiya soft blue foam on the inside as a starting point. Unfortunately, it's all trial and error. Frankly, if you don't have to run Tamiya tire, why bother. There a tons of tires on the market that are much better on most surfaces.
Well Granpa, first and foremost thanks for replying to my post. Letís start with the track surface, carpet and asphalt. These are the two surfaces that Iím planning to race on as soon as I can get all my things together.

As for the inserts I have the Muchmore pinks and the Tamiya mini gray foams. Also when you say Muchmore on the outside and the Tamiya inside as a starting point do you mean doubling both of these inserts together?

Thanks Tiko
tiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #9082
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toon View Post
Has anyone tried the Much More 'Sweep' slick mini tyres?

I think they are a recent release, and they're not on the tyre list at rc-mini.
They're pretty damn good...

p.s. They're not on the tire list yet because we couldn't get any pics of them until we actually got some!
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #9083
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default HPI Cup Racer

I see some talk about the HPI Cup Racer throughout this thread... but has anyone driven one? And raced with a Tamiya M03?

At first I thought it was the HPI Swift that was reviewed by RC-MINI.Net, but on closer inspection... clearly different cars.

A lot of interest with this car for Silver Can indoor carpet racing with M03's.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #9084
Tech Champion

The HPI cup racer is an AWD car as opposed to the FWD Tamiyas. So it apples and oranges. Wouldn't be a fair comparison between the two of them.

The HPI Switch is their entry into the FWD M chassis market. Don't know if it's comparable or not.

Jim
Old 05-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #9085
Tech Elite

Certainly hardly fair to run a Cup Racer against an M03. As Jim said, very much apples and oranges.

But I'd be happy to run an M03 against a HPI Switch, it'd just be a question of how many laps in front the M03 was at the end...

I must admit, I'm bewildered as to the huge fuss that people are making over the Cup Racer anyway. It's just another 4WD Mini chassis. Sure the bodyshells are cool, but the chassis itself isn't all that exciting.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 AM   #9086
Tech Champion

I think it's just the bodyshells that are the talking point. They are very nice. I wouldn't run one myself, though. Our racing is fair too brutal to subject something that nice to.

There seems to be a battle brewing between HPI and Tamiya right now. HPI just beat Tamiya to the punch. They've introduced their new mini, cup and F1 racers to the market before Tamiya could, and now the big T is playing catchup.

I think Tamiya will probably come out on top in the long run. They've got deeper roots in the market than anyone else.

Jim
Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #9087
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i have a M03 blue plated chassis set for sale if anyone is interested.

Tamiya M03 Blue Plated Chassis set
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #9088
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Frankly, if you don't have to run Tamiya tire, why bother. There a tons of tires on the market that are much better on most surfaces.
Would you care to recommend some that could cure carpet tailspin on an M02 ?

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #9089
Tech Initiate

Default Are there other manufacturers of 60D Mini tyres?

Hi Tony

It would be useful to update the list for the outside diameters as well. The nature of our local tracks makes the extra legs of the 60D tyres a must and I have long trolled the net for a 60D alternative to the Tamiya 60D, without success, maybe because that specification is not always mentioned.

Kind regards
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
They're pretty damn good...

p.s. They're not on the tire list yet because we couldn't get any pics of them until we actually got some!
iti20090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #9090
Tech Elite

Thats because there aren't any alternatives (to my knowledge)... Only Tamiya do 60D tyres..