Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default chrome cleaning...

Denatured Alcohol from you local hardware store does the trick, just don't drink it unless your kidneys are disposable. True it might not be a "Numbers Matching" chrome chassis, but it isn't $196 either...even in the 1:1 world a 'fake' Hemi 'Cuda still used to bring $100k, lol, so the $5 option is just fine by me...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default BTW-

I never meant to come accross as a hater...just as there will always be a market in the 1:1 world for those guys that have to have their proper date coded fan belts and spark plug wires, and then there are the guys who see a car, see the Hemi in it and say "Nice car" before (if ever) asking "Is it real?", there will be the guys who are willing to pay real money for the rarities in the mini would and those of us who are ok with a 'fake'.

Back in my 1:1 Mustang days one of the running jokes was how much money we could make if we could just find a tank of air compressed in April 1964 so the concourse nuts could say "I have real 1964 air in MY tires!". It got so bad that guys would build cars with no fluids in them so they wouldn't ever leak...needless to say they had 3500 pound paperweights they had to push around, but they won shows because their cars were cleaner. They actually had to start teching cars to make sure they ran so no one could pull this trick. So likewise, while I'll build a lid for shelf queen duty (and spent $140 on the Linder---don't drink and ebay!), my chassis' have to be runners, which means the $5 option for me...
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tony gray
Now, just what the hell would do THIS to a Mini?

For Tims full (and funny) story on the Wodonga 1000 lap Mini Enduro, go HERE now.
dude that enduro sounds insane. a thousand laps? i suppose its good ad for the hobbywing brushless too cos you went all the way through with no trouble.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well not entirely true, as Tim changed the motor part way through (by mistake), however that motor was already 5 months old anyway!

The ESC though went through the entire race - in 47+ C temperatures! I don't know of a better way to test any system and they came through with flying colours.

If the Hobbywing system can survive that, they can pretty much survive anything. And as an aside, the actual motor(s) and ESC from the Enduro car are still being used now....and are still running perfectly.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChattyMatty
Back in my 1:1 Mustang days one of the running jokes was how much money we could make if we could just find a tank of air compressed in April 1964 so the concourse nuts could say "I have real 1964 air in MY tires!". It got so bad that guys would build cars with no fluids in them so they wouldn't ever leak...needless to say they had 3500 pound paperweights they had to push around, but they won shows because their cars were cleaner. They actually had to start teching cars to make sure they ran so no one could pull this trick. So likewise, while I'll build a lid for shelf queen duty (and spent $140 on the Linder---don't drink and ebay!), my chassis' have to be runners, which means the $5 option for me...
Yup, I have to deal with people like that at work.

They could go to any auto parts store and buy an 1157 lightbulb for a buck or two, but they insist that it has to be in the correct packaging, or it's not good enough. So, they'll spend $25 with me, and when you take the bulb out of the package, it's EXACTLY (manufacturer, part number, specs) the same bulb they could've bought for a few dollars. They're still happy, though: They've got a cheesy cardboard box that says "Porsche" on it.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Well not entirely true, as Tim changed the motor part way through (by mistake), however that motor was already 5 months old anyway!

The ESC though went through the entire race - in 47+ C temperatures! I don't know of a better way to test any system and they came through with flying colours.

If the Hobbywing system can survive that, they can pretty much survive anything. And as an aside, the actual motor(s) and ESC from the Enduro car are still being used now....and are still running perfectly.
now i won't hesitate on buying hobbywing esc and brushless motor.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I never meant to come accross as a hater...just as there will always be a market in the 1:1 world for those guys that have to have their proper date coded fan belts and spark plug wires, and then there are the guys who see a car, see the Hemi in it and say "Nice car" before (if ever) asking "Is it real?", there will be the guys who are willing to pay real money for the rarities in the mini would and those of us who are ok with a 'fake'.

same with me.. hehehe! thats why my chrome mini (which i dont have any idea before that it was rare) is being used for racing.. and it win races. hehehe!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ah, ye olde 1157...

you're givin' me flashbacks here...lemme see if I remember that one right...twin poles/dimples on the bottom, 2 pins at 180 degree on the sides, about the size of a cherry tomato? it's been a long while since I played car guy...though I do remmeber paying like $10 ro $15 bucks for the old school ones made out of amber glass rather than the ones painted with orange paint "because they just look right"...for a parking light under my front bumper that there was no friggin' way I could EVER see from behind the wheel...lol, I had the disease too you see....

If I do this right here's a pic of the old girl...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-scan.jpg  
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you're givin' me flashbacks here...lemme see if I remember that one right...twin poles/dimples on the bottom, 2 pins at 180 degree on the sides, about the size of a cherry tomato? it's been a long while since I played car guy...though I do remmeber paying like $10 ro $15 bucks for the old school ones made out of amber glass rather than the ones painted with orange paint "because they just look right"...for a parking light under my front bumper that there was no friggin' way I could EVER see from behind the wheel...lol, I had the disease too you see....

If I do this right here's a pic of the old girl...
Yup, two filaments, two pins offset vertically=1157. Single pole, two pins level with each other=1156. These two bulbs have been the basis for every automotive lightbulb for the past 50 years.

Porsche had a neat trick up it's sleeve for some bulbs though. They look exactly like a 56 or 57, but the pins are offset differently around the circumference of the base. Bastards!

Anyway, less bulbs, more minis.

Jim
Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Anyone looking for a Mini Cooper with extras check out my add http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ooper-m03.html
Old 03-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Stop posting !!!! No one wants your used mini !!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi! Would anyone know if the Toyota Corolla TE27 shell from ABC Hobby will fit on a Tamiya M-03 chassis? The seller says it will with some body post mods. Just want to confirm from people on here. Thank you.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM
mjw
Tech Adept

Yes it will fit. I've got one for my M03. I don't remember if I had to drill a hole in the posts to sit the body lower or not, but it will fit. I had the front as low as I could get it until it rested on the plastic of the chassis.

Mike W

[QUOTE=Mark Flores;5615213]Hi! Would anyone know if the Toyota Corolla TE27 shell from ABC Hobby will fit on a Tamiya M-03 chassis? The seller says it will with some body post mods. Just want to confirm from people on here. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks Mike! Got any photos?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys, I'm in need of some help here. I have searched everywhere (except the right place obviously) and I cannot find a part number for the front upright for the m03 chassis. I have found the aluminum ones, but I am just looking for a stock replacement. I'm sure tower hobbies is bound to have them, but I just can't seem to find them. Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.