Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 10-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

hi. i was wondering what i can do to reduce traction roll....

i can't keep up corner speed as much as i want on a sweeping corner coz of traction rolling entering the corner... if not for it rolling i could easily pilot the car around at 3/4 throttle, but i can now only do it at 1/4 throttle... which is costing me probably about 1/2 a second per lap.....

i already got the electronics within the center....

what sort of setup idea ideas can help with rolling??

lighter/heavier oil?
harder/softer springs?
more/less preload?
more/less droop?

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

MO3 chassis are like that, easy to get traction roll. You can minimize the traction by some of these :

1. lowering ride height like 4mm front, 6mm rear. ( use tamiya short springs )
2. stiffen up front springs
3. use smaller diameter tires, tamiya have normal super slick for mini ( Not 60D tires ).
Old 10-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

What tires are you running? I've learned that if you have M grips up front, they tend to expand after a while. This leads to a roll in high speed turns. A couple of guys told me to try different tires, I have "A's" in the front and "S's" in the rear. I'm thinking of trying S's in the front also just to see what it's like. I was stumped for months trying to figure this out. The car works great now.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CSeils
What tires are you running? I've learned that if you have M grips up front, they tend to expand after a while. This leads to a roll in high speed turns. A couple of guys told me to try different tires, I have "A's" in the front and "S's" in the rear. I'm thinking of trying S's in the front also just to see what it's like. I was stumped for months trying to figure this out. The car works great now.

i use s on the front and hpi x-pattern on the rear...

M up front are ok for large turns, but just dont work on the tighter corners coz they push way too much and make u run wide.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default mini

slam the front via:inside the shock give it about 1/4 travel 60w oil white springs ,slam the back the same way but give it about 1/2 travel yellow springs 30wt Mgrip ft S grip rear glue the side walls ft & rear run the body as low as u can and drive it 1st no dope add as needed rear 1st then ft keep tires clean at all times....it works I won TCS mini in Cinci and 3rd at Trackside
Old 10-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default New Alfa Romeo M04M

Here's a few pics of my new Alfa. Just for fun. Nobody races them around here.

It's got a few upgrades already:

1. Manta Ray Diff
2. Tamiya Universals
3. Hollow Carbon Gear Shafts
4. S.S. Hinge Pins
5. M04 Motor Heatsink
6. Ball Bearings

On the way:

1. Lightweight Kingpins
2. Titanium/Alum screw mix.
3. Red and Blue locknuts-red on left side of car , blue on right.

On a personal note, I wish Tamiya would re-release some bodies from previously released but now discontinued cars like the Fiat Abarth, the Renault Alpine and VW Beetle. And more upgrades-re-release the discontinued M04 sway bars and motor heatsink. Maybe even come out with a new M04 based Porsche 911 RSR and BMW CSL?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-cf.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-ch.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-cfb.jpg  
Old 10-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just got done building my M03. I put bearings, a ball diff and cva shocks on it. My question is, should i have put limiters or something in the shocks because they seem pretty long and the thing is riding pretty high.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by primusblowsgoat
I just got done building my M03. I put bearings, a ball diff and cva shocks on it. My question is, should i have put limiters or something in the shocks because they seem pretty long and the thing is riding pretty high.
Yes, get some silcone o-rings and put them in the cva shocks so they don't extend too much. I use 2 or 3 o-rings per shock.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default LOOKS HOT ED

THAT ALFA LOOKS HOT ED............

Regards,
Eric
Old 10-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by primusblowsgoat
I just used the plastic spacers that came with the shock kits. My mini rides real low I will be going lower.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 10-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default SoCal Mini Coopers

Anybody on this forum running at SoCal? Over the last 2 months we've been running Mini's on Tuesday night. Lot's of fun; have had between 5-8 drivers each week. Running silver can motors. Not overly fast but driving has been close and fun. SoCal is holding their Grand Prix Nov 5th, would love to have as large a showing as we can.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2005, 06:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

well i dug through my pile o stuff, and found an unopening package of AE shock downstops or limiters or whatever you call them, its riding pretty low now.

hopefully today or tomorrow ill get it painted and post some pics.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Phenochilus
Yes, get some silcone o-rings and put them in the cva shocks so they don't extend too much. I use 2 or 3 o-rings per shock.
I think too many o rings for suspension is not suggested, especially if you run in bumpy and dusty tracks. Why ? First of all, you reduce the volume of oil inside ( the plush feelling is gone ). Secondly, you need some droops to make the cooper stick to the ground and feeling stable during cornering. I suggest to use Tamiya shorter spring set OR simply remove the adjustable collar so the front and rear suspension could have some droops ( droop = the amount of shock collapse as soon as the tires touch the ground ).
Old 10-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default size does matter

front shock total size 2.11 rear is 2.23 shim the inside to get it..
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default mini

tcs 1st and tcs 3rd mini
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-s4010003.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.