R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-17-2003, 10:18 PM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Woooohooooo, ready for TCS this weekend!!! Car rebuilt, bearings relubed, ball diff ready, gears replaced, universals set, shocks rebuilt....
ALL I NEED NOW IS SOME MAJOR LUCK!!!!
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:55 PM   #62
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Mini cooper, what setup do you use and what chassis? Can you post some pics. Really hard to find a real mini cooper racer here in the Bay Area. Maybe you can share some setups that work on your local track or Tamiya's track. Thanks...
sipaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:39 AM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown

Hey sipaboy - This is my setup: front yellow springs with 80 weight oil, rear with blue springs and 15 weight oil also TL01 rear hubs. TA03 ball diff with thick grease. 60D slicks. As far as being a "real mini cooper racer" I am not but the above has worked for me. I borrowed the above setup from Burien Toyota Racing Team (thanks!!) As far as my electrics, they are huge by mini standards (tempest ESC and regular size Airtronics receiver) they are mounted as low as possible on the rear sides. I'll post a picture tomorrow

BTW do you know Chris AKA weaponr tec? he's fromthe bay area
Old 08-18-2003, 03:04 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by dirk
I run nicads too. do you know this guy called Schumacher on this forum, his real name is Sanj and he used to have the best rc website. he wrote an article that said tere are two dfifferent ways to charge, peak charging and thermo. and I think he mentioned when a battery is peak carged it will be at a certain temperature...Sanj said this was a more accurate way of charging packs because batteries tend to false peak once in a while. this hot summer is doing a number on my memory but maybe we can lure him here so we can extract some information.
Peak charging is recommended for NiMH's, NiCd's can be peak or thermal charged. Batteries heat up when you charge them, so there is a certain point where you can cut them off because of temperature.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:26 AM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Minicooper, yes I know Chris weapon r. I bought his Yokomo before and he works for our LHS. so, looks like you're usingt softer front springs[yellow]? What chassis?mo3 or mo3L
Old 08-18-2003, 09:24 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sipa the yellows are the new TA04 rate yellow so it is stiffer it carries better corner speed. Don't use any ride height spacers with these. It will set the nose at about 3mm, just right. Also make sure the insert is stiff or you will pick up a traction roll.

Mini where do you have the droop at 4 o-rings is a touch too much and 3 o's is good with stiffer 40-50wt oil
Old 08-18-2003, 09:43 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic

What inserts do you use? I have the stock tamiyas but doesn't feel it fills up the type a tires.I also tried the hpi mini inserts but still too low and soft. Heard that firm in front is better. Any tips on any type of inserts to use. Also the type a is reinforced and too hard to put 2 foam inserts in each wheel[to firm it up]. What type combo[front/rear] do you use. Locally the hpi x patterns work well but since we're concentrating on TCS the type a fronts and tamiya soft radials at the rear seems to work great for me. Any comments appreciated.How about carpet setups?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:30 PM   #68
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by sipaboy
Also the type a is reinforced and too hard to put 2 foam inserts in each wheel[to firm it up].
Hard to do but possible, it just takes awhile and a little finese
Old 08-18-2003, 12:53 PM   #69
Tech Elite

I've never run the Mini on carpet a friend back East did and used most of the same set-up just Foam tires.

As far as insert I use a Tamiya 24mm insert first then a 50d shaped insert inside that the diameter is just a hair smaller than the HPI. You might also try the Yokomo thin inserts as they are a touch thinner than the Tamiya's. I also use the black shaped 50D insert for the rear it leaves a nice air gap and awesome grip but does groove the inner part of the tire over time.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:24 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Mini and TCS

So is the mini still allowed as a second class at the nats or have they changed their minds because of the large number of entrants expected this year. Is mini still going to be run at regionals next year.

davesrctracks.net
premierrcpdx.com
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:05 PM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Urgh, now I have to find a mabuchi motor

Difuser - not using o-rings, I am using plastic spacers. The front is roughly 3.5 mm and the rear about 3mm right around there. It is a little more than 3 o-rings.

(revised my post, don't know what I was thinking )

Last edited by minicooper; 08-19-2003 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:48 AM   #72
Tech Rookie

Difuser,

I haven't tried that insert combo for the front mini tires. A couple of questions.

1) The 24mm insert. Are these the standard non-shaped sponge foam?

2) 50D shaped. Are these inserts Blue or Black?

Do you recommend Sway Bars on the M03?

My car has a slight traction roll problem, however I have 60D foam firm inserts on the front still.

thanks for any info.
johntrickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:14 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic

I finally got my tires/inserts finished.Using type A. I had hpi mini soft blue shaped inserts in first, then I cut about 1/2 inch of the stock foams then glued them together. I placed the stock foam over the rim[tight fit] and slowly inserted the rim in the tire. Even though I used soft hpi insertd[blue]. The tires still feels firm with the foam combo. Only drawback is it is heavier.Hoping this would be my TCS front tire. Tried the rear with same type A but with stock foam inserts only. It was still too grippy. Tried the radials at the back with foams and that was tghe perfect combo with the front insert/foam combo. Anybody else have the same setup for the tires/inserts?
Old 08-19-2003, 02:45 PM   #74
Tech Elite

John it is the normal insert for Tamiya or Yokomo Sedan 24mm tire. It is the closed cell shaped insert.
50D insert is black.
I never used the swaybars on my M03 it is out for a friend to run at Nats this year and I know he is just starting to use them. I relied on the M04 most of the time and did not spend alot of time developing the M03 but without bars it has been great I would think you could shave a 1/10 or 2 with the bars.

Tom not sure if Fred is going to or not. I thought I saw only 1 class in the last rules release.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:51 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Okay, so I ran TCS this past weekend. Boy, did I do bad!!
c - main!!! oh well, it was a great day of racing!!