R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #7051
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If anyone wants a Manta Ray ball diff I have a new in package one I have no need for. PM me and I'll make you a deal.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #7052
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
Yes. The rules for this year's mini class at the TCS Nationals in Aliso Veijo are:

1200 grams minimum weight
2400 Orion Lipo batteries.
Motors will be silver can hand out and you have to leave the motors in tech. You cannot take your hand out motor back to your pits!! You go to tech before your heat, put your motor in your car and run your race. After you race, your car goes into impound and after you turn marshall, you go to impound, remove your motor and give it to tech to hold until you next race. We might have to use plugs as well!!!
Do the battery packs go to tech as well? So with the min weight change are people still adding weight? My mini with the Orion 2400 lipo was hooked up...but I was using nitro shoes not mini rubbers.
FOXY923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #7053
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXY923 View Post
Do the battery packs go to tech as well? So with the min weight change are people still adding weight? My mini with the Orion 2400 lipo was hooked up...but I was using nitro shoes not mini rubbers.
Yes you will need to add weight to get to the new 1200 gram minimum if you are using the Orion 2400 lipo. Not sure if the batteries have to remain in tech but probably not as how would you charge them?

The Tamiya TCS organizers are really trying to get the Mini class back to a driverís class so they are going to have RPM limits on the hand out motors (the RPM maximum being discussed is 14,000). They will test your motor when you take it out of your car and turn it in. If it goes above 14K at 5 volts, then penalties could be handed out. It has not been announced how they will dish out the punishment. The challenge is going to be how to keep your motor from going over that 14K. After you run one of these silver cans, the brushes break in, the bushings break in and the heat will drain the magnets, all causing a motor to increase in RPM.

It's going to be a hoot!!! I can't wait.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #7054
Tech Elite

Quote:
The Tamiya TCS organizers are really trying to get the Mini class back to a driverís class so they are going to have RPM limits on the hand out motors (the RPM maximum being discussed is 14,000). They will test your motor when you take it out of your car and turn it in. If it goes above 14K at 5 volts, then penalties could be handed out.
I find all of that very, very interesting. We started a mini class here this spring and with loose enforcement it took about 4 races for it to not really be a "driver's class" anymore. We're also trying out a couple other spec silver can classes so I'll be watching how the new TCS system works out closely.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #7055
Tech Lord

Quote:
Yes you will need to add weight to get to the new 1200 gram minimum if you are using the Orion 2400 lipo. Not sure if the batteries have to remain in tech but probably not as how would you charge them?

The Tamiya TCS organizers are really trying to get the Mini class back to a driverís class so they are going to have RPM limits on the hand out motors (the RPM maximum being discussed is 14,000). They will test your motor when you take it out of your car and turn it in. If it goes above 14K at 5 volts, then penalties could be handed out. It has not been announced how they will dish out the punishment. The challenge is going to be how to keep your motor from going over that 14K. After you run one of these silver cans, the brushes break in, the bushings break in and the heat will drain the magnets, all causing a motor to increase in RPM.

It's going to be a hoot!!! I can't wait.
rumor has it you wont be able to take your motor back to your pits at Nationals. it hasnt been posted on the rules sheet yet, but this rumor came from a tamiya employee who works the TCS races. this is for both GT2 and Mini i believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I find all of that very, very interesting. We started a mini class here this spring and with loose enforcement it took about 4 races for it to not really be a "driver's class" anymore. We're also trying out a couple other spec silver can classes so I'll be watching how the new TCS system works out closely.
correct me if im wrong, but since minis have limited gearing, why not just run a 21.5 brushless? wouldnt that help even the field with everyone receiving motors "closer" in performance and not worrying about a brush getting broken in/seated?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #7056
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
correct me if im wrong, but since minis have limited gearing, why not just run a 21.5 brushless? wouldnt that help even the field with everyone receiving motors "closer" in performance and not worrying about a brush getting broken in/seated?
I would love that, but our mini class is really being targeted as a really cheap, fun way to grab a kit and get into R/C racing. It's just that some of us (admittedly, myself included) have gotten a bit too serious with it.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #7057
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Where i race as long as the lipo is on the roar list and the M03 is 1330g or above your good..................and the reason i ask is because a mini has so much wheel spin slightley more weight will help it gain traction and also low down weight will help the rolls =P

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #7058
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

We've been running minis with Lipos (Orion 3200s) for nearly 2 years now. And until the TCS season came along we only ran 2 oz. of lead on the underside (wings) of the battery. I believe the cars are around 1240-1250 grams and handle superb. So don't let anybody tell you the car has to weigh as much as a NIMH car to handle well and not flip....a little tip...CA is your friend.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #7059
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I would love that, but our mini class is really being targeted as a really cheap, fun way to grab a kit and get into R/C racing. It's just that some of us (admittedly, myself included) have gotten a bit too serious with it.
Pete, YGPM
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #7060
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is basically a RWD chassis I built by myself with a Tamiya Cooper S body.
It has Yokomo drift red wheels with Touring Type As all around
[img][/img][/url]

[img][/img]

The chassis I built.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Rear suspension:Single stock shock mounted to steel stand(T-bar)
Front suspension:N/A(Still thinking)
Chassis:Hard poly enamel
Wheelsand Tires: Yokomo advan RED WHEELS with Touring Type As
Gear ratio:11:1
Drive:RWD
I used touring tires because of the high gear ratio I had.It also gives the car stability over bumps.
Mini Cooper...with big wheels. Cool ?
ManiTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #7061
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

looks good man, love the custom stuff.

Cheers
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #7062
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

RP MINI Tire next week come back !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #7063
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sick of those 'Lipo Blues'? That feeling you get when your Mini keeps tipping over or spinning out with your brand new Lipos fitted? Plus you just don't know where to put the weight to bring your car up to the minimum weight your track requires?

Click here to find out how/where to to do a 30 minute makeover on your mini to add a little poundage and take a whole lotta worries off your mind.
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:39 AM   #7064
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
RP MINI Tire next week come back !
Thanks for the info im new to the mini class and this is a big help the mini tire has been my biggest issue ive been told they only last 2 races what else is on the market besides the tamiya slicks
SLASH BOX STOCK-
NITRO TC3 ROSSI .12
nitro psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #7065
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks Tony, great read as always.

Cheers
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote