R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #6946
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
The bottom line on mounting electronics is this...

The THEORY says that mounting everything inside the chassis will lower the C of G and therefore make the car handle better. And we ALL used to do just that.

In reality it makes so little difference as to be undetectable - on carpet and asphalt. We've run cars back to back with electronics mounted outside and inside. And I'd be lying if I said we could tell.

So...most of the rc-mini crew run their receivers inside the chassis, but leave the ESC's on top where they're easy to get to (and it helps keep them cool).
What he said
NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #6947
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATC3 View Post
DO NOT take your esc or receiver out the the case! minis are ment for injoyment and low cost fun! why would you wreck your expensive electronics! mount outside the rear chassis on the side. I've done it and its good. also the motor has wieght on the left side of the car try mounting your stuff on the rightside and that's good for the minis that go left !

i know good spots where to mount them i just wanted to know where you guys mounted them. I've had some problems but there cured.

now i need a car that will NOT understear and something that has good stearing but NO mc'fishlail tail sandwitches! lol
It's all in the tire and insert selection, young man. Springs, shock oil, ride ht. etc make small differences, but they won't compensate for the tires
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #6948
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
It's all in the tire and insert selection, young man. Springs, shock oil, ride ht. etc make small differences, but they won't compensate for the tires
What he said
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #6949
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2

hey guys... long time no see...

just wanted to let you know that there are some new products on the horizon, and as soon as I know something (and I'm allowed to say anything) you'll all be the first to know.... unless someone finds out and posts before me....

Looks like Minis are about to came around again......
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #6950
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:

What he said
Agree entirely. +1
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #6951
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hola el granpapa can joo el please ha, ha, tella me what is da hmmm good tires 4 mass fast turning?

(sorry it sounded funny when i was writin it)
Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #6952
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATC3 View Post
hola el granpapa can joo el please ha, ha, tella me what is da hmmm good tires 4 mass fast turning?

(sorry it sounded funny when i was writin it)
Looks like your from my area. If you're asking about the concrete at the Speedtech races, Ride 3030s in front and ABC or RP slicks in the back. I haven't tried too many insert combos yet so you're on your own there, but that should put you in the ball park. Cut down Sorex or RP touring car tires with Spice or Ride inserts I suspect will be the best combination as soon as we get the inserts and tire cpds worked out.

For the Tamiya track at Aliso, the cut down touring car tire work the best for me. Can't use those for the TCS races tho. Going to try to get to the Ventura Road Runners track this Sunday, so hopefully will have a good idea as to the combo there. If you're asking about the OC Circuit tracks, I'm totally lost. So far RP slicks in the back with 60Ds in front are the best combo I've found, but I just hate the way I have to drive to make them work.

Also the new Harris r/c slicks that Tony Gray talks about may be the best, but I've never tried those. As you can see, it ain't easy, but I'm more particular than most. The car setup has to make up for old age, fading eyesight and limited driving skills. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #6953
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I support Grandpa here.

I wrote this in an earlier post;

Mini Tyres - Rubber. For bitumen/concrete tracks I use Ride slicks, HPI X patterns, Spice or Powers mini tyres. These are all 55mm diameter. Some of the guy's also use ABC Genetic tyres, however I have not tried these yet.

Normally run harder tyres on the front and softer tyres rear, depends on the grip level at your track and car setup. I currently use Rides 3030 front with green ride insert and spice rears with hard Tamiya foam insert rear. If you can get them Pit Shimizu on the rear work excellent with the standard soft foam insert.

Ride 3025's with orange ride inserts also work on the front, however these tyres are a bit softer and have a different temperature rating.

I do not run Tamiya 60D's Type A because of how it affects my setup and the poor wear rate of the tyre.

However on carpet I have run tamiya M Grips all round and found them to be excellent. The HPI X pattern tyres on the front also work well on carpet.

I change my tyres to suit the track conditions and this is the way I tune my car. I do not go making changes to the suspension etc, just try softer or harder inserts in your tyres and adjust your driving style to suit.

BTW

I am no Mini Guru driver, just use what works for me.

My two cents worth.

CYA

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 07-24-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: xtra text
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #6954
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Going to try to get to the Ventura Road Runners track this Sunday, so hopefully will have a good idea as to the combo there.
That's where I race -- come on up! We're building a great mini scene. We just started this year and it's really growing. There will be anywhere from 9 to 16 minis depending on who shows up. The track is grippy, treated asphalt. The pan car guys like to treat it heavily, so there's no lack of traction. So much so that 60D type A slicks are traction roll city. Most of the fast guys are actually running the kit box treaded tires. I've got a couple of TQs and a couple of wins on the 3racing cheapo treads. About $9 for four with foams from speedtech. We really have fun with it and are pretty loose with the rules -- not limited to Tamiya hop-ups, no weigh-in, etc. Lipos ok, strictly silver can and a couple of guys have red dot motors. It's sort of the "blow off steam" class.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #6955
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey, thanks granpa also reen. that gave me some thoughts on how to tune. but I'm not racing anyone and I'm not on a track.

its man made crap our taxes pays for and its really cheap and cracks within a year! i have poor stearing. i run soft foams with xpattern also very hard with xpatterns. i don't know what to try to improve. but then again i shouldn't worry since I'm not racing.

i hate hearing/reading about tcs races since i can't race in then because i don't own a "tamiya m03r" its a mut with every upgrade thought of lol . i do have a full stock TAMIYA m03
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #6956
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
I support Grandpa here.

I wrote this in an earlier post;

Mini Tyres - Rubber. For bitumen/concrete tracks I use Ride slicks, HPI X patterns, Spice or Powers mini tyres. These are all 55mm diameter. Some of the guy's also use ABC Genetic tyres, however I have not tried these yet.

Normally run harder tyres on the front and softer tyres rear, depends on the grip level at your track and car setup. I currently use Rides 3030 front with green ride insert and spice rears with hard Tamiya foam insert rear. If you can get them Pit Shimizu on the rear work excellent with the standard soft foam insert.

Ride 3025's with orange ride inserts also work on the front, however these tyres are a bit softer and have a different temperature rating.

I do not run Tamiya 60D's Type A because of how it affects my setup and the poor wear rate of the tyre.

However on carpet I have run tamiya M Grips all round and found them to be excellent. The HPI X pattern tyres on the front also work well on carpet.

I change my tyres to suit the track conditions and this is the way I tune my car. I do not go making changes to the suspension etc, just try softer or harder inserts in your tyres and adjust your driving style to suit.

BTW

I am no Mini Guru driver, just use what works for me.

My two cents worth.

CYA

Calvin.
hey what about on asphalt?
CCH1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #6957
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
That's where I race -- come on up! We're building a great mini scene. We just started this year and it's really growing. There will be anywhere from 9 to 16 minis depending on who shows up. The track is grippy, treated asphalt. The pan car guys like to treat it heavily, so there's no lack of traction. So much so that 60D type A slicks are traction roll city. Most of the fast guys are actually running the kit box treaded tires. I've got a couple of TQs and a couple of wins on the 3racing cheapo treads. About $9 for four with foams from speedtech. We really have fun with it and are pretty loose with the rules -- not limited to Tamiya hop-ups, no weigh-in, etc. Lipos ok, strictly silver can and a couple of guys have red dot motors. It's sort of the "blow off steam" class.
yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. My understanding is you guys have power, so all I need is an extension cord and a pit table. If I don't show it's because the wife is under the weather. We're both in our 70's and she has been having trouble with vertigo lately.

However, we hope to be there and will show up with some decent motors and a box full of different tires. How about RP's, are they too grippy. It sounds like you guys have a ton of grip. Sorry, you're post answered my question. I'll have to lok you up and get some set up tips.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #6958
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. My understanding is you guys have power, so all I need is an extension cord and a pit table. If I don't show it's because the wife is under the weather. We're both in our 70's and she has been having trouble with vertigo lately.

However, we hope to be there and will show up with some decent motors and a box full of different tires. How about RP's, are they too grippy. It sounds like you guys have a ton of grip. Sorry, you're post answered my question. I'll have to lok you up and get some set up tips.
We do have power and usually plenty of it. The only other thing I'd recommend bringing is a canopy if you have one. If not, everyone is always willing to share!

The mini class is so new here that nobody's really done too much experimenting with tires. Plus, the focus has really been on fun rather than extracting maximum performance. Our club president runs a box-stock mini (friction shocks and all) and is always a front runner. I just tried the 3racing tires 'cause they were cheap and they turned out to work well for me.

Hope you can make it out! My name is Pete and I'll be pitted in the area between the on- and off-road tracks.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #6959
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I have an M03L and I will be running it in some parking lot races. What ride height is good?
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #6960
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH1978 View Post
hey what about on asphalt?
Uhhhh, bitumen is asphalt. Usually, it's referred to as the sealed asphalt on parking lots as opposed to the stuff on streets.

However, the stuff that's been posted should get you started. Specific tire and insert combinations depend on too many variables for anyone to give you the exact combinations. If you notice, we've all been sort of general, but that should give you enough to start on your own setup. Heck, that's the fun of it any way.