R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #6481
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well, had the frist run out with my Mini and it's exige this weekend. What can I say, it was excellent, car ran flawlessly all day. Only issues was when I bolted on brand new S-grips, (rather than the worn M's) way too much steering! Think I need to go to 6mm of shims in the rear shocks when running the S's. Still motor and battery performed faultlessly, and was really suprised with the level of brakes the car has

Did a bit of an endurance run at one point, and with a Orion 3200 LiPo, was at 20mins runtime before I decided to pull the car off, rather than risk the pack (even with a LiPo cutoff enabled on the speedy). Makes running the car easy, as just need to top up the pack for each run.
Interestingly enough, the motor was barely even warm, so really happy with it. Now just to get the BL2 motor, and away we go.

Oh, also picked up a foam bumper (by Square, here) for the mini too, works really well, and helps protect the shell wonderfully

Cheers
Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 03-30-2008 at 09:50 AM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #6482
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

i recently picked up a set of tech racing m03 springs and am trying to figure out which are the hard, medium, and soft springs. They are all white but two have a silver dot on top, two have blue dots, and two are just straight white

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #6483
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
i recently picked up a set of tech racing m03 springs and am trying to figure out which are the hard, medium, and soft springs. They are all white but two have a silver dot on top, two have blue dots, and two are just straight white
If you've got access to a micrometer/ caliper set, measure the thickness of the spring's wire. The thicker it is, the stiffer it will be.

This is what I had to do for my shock set, as they came with absolutely no instructions.
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT
dragnse7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #6484
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp Racer View Post

Boronia Wed. nite Tony??
Revised schedule as of this morning Lue.. I'm on a drive program with the new Falcons at work this week and next week... So I dont know where I'll be.... So Boronia is out for me!
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #6485
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Well, had the frist run out with my Mini and it's exige this weekend. What can I say, it was excellent, car ran flawlessly all day. Only issues was when I bolted on brand new S-grips, (rather than the worn M's) way too much steering! Think I need to go to 6mm of shims in the rear shocks when running the S's. Still motor and battery performed faultlessly, and was really suprised with the level of brakes the car has

Did a bit of an endurance run at one point, and with a Orion 3200 LiPo, was at 20mins runtime before I decided to pull the car off, rather than risk the pack (even with a LiPo cutoff enabled on the speedy). Makes running the car easy, as just need to top up the pack for each run.
Interestingly enough, the motor was barely even warm, so really happy with it. Now just to get the BL2 motor, and away we go.

Oh, also picked up a foam bumper (by Square, here) for the mini too, works really well, and helps protect the shell wonderfully

Cheers
Ed
You should really tune up your car. Even w/o the stock wheels and rims. lookiing from the pic, your LH side is WAY OUT OF WHACK. THE LEFT HUB IN YOUR PIC IS STICKING OUT way more than it should.

Come to Massachusetts, and my cousin and I will really show you how to race right - over 30mph - that's what we race at. Exige is for nancy girls. Trust me.You're probably the one who sticks in the back of the pack during the race, and bonks every backstop.

Go and sell your "Exige" testosterone somewhere else.

Oh - don't get me wrong. I respect you as a person - but not you're "holier than tho" Exige system. Trust me - my car will most certainly smoke your car. Game on.

WHEN YOU CAN ACTUALLY BURN RUBBER - then wake me up. I'll be waiting for you, and my finger is already on the trigger
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT

Last edited by dragnse7en; 03-30-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #6486
Tech Apprentice

Dude, take your childish posts elsewhere.

No-one minds a bit of fun but that is way out of line.
Herkimer Jitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #6487
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ball diffs

i have heard from multiple people that when assembling a ball diff, that you should tighten the heck out of it.

i did this and assembled everything as per instructions.

question:

when i turn one of my tires, the other tire should turn the opposite way right? (my bevel diffs did this) after i tightened the heck out of my ball diff, my wheels turn the SAME way. is this right, or did i miss something???? does this matter?
lucybluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #6488
Tech Elite

They turn the same way because there isnt enough drag from the motor to make the diff 'work'

If you pull your motor out, and then stick your finger in to hold the spur gear you'll find that the wheels will turn the opposite way like they're supposed to.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #6489
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybluemoon View Post
i have heard from multiple people that when assembling a ball diff, that you should tighten the heck out of it.

i did this and assembled everything as per instructions.

question:

when i turn one of my tires, the other tire should turn the opposite way right? (my bevel diffs did this) after i tightened the heck out of my ball diff, my wheels turn the SAME way. is this right, or did i miss something???? does this matter?
Yeah. you're good as long as you you run Tamiya motors. I did the same thing - I just torqued it down until the locknut bottoemed out. Use minimal diff grease tho. I run a mod motor in mine, and my cousin uses a 27T pro stock. We both torqued them out - they both failed out, by slinging/ throwing the locknut.

1. Coat the diff locking screw with Blue Loctite. Wipe all the excess off, then assemble as necessary.

2. When installing the locknut/screw, don't touch the other parts!!! This is very important! When I get my camera back, I might do a tutorial on it heh )

Hope this helps
Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #6490
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkimer Jitney View Post
Dude, take your childish posts elsewhere.

No-one minds a bit of fun but that is way out of line.
Okay. I'll take my childsish posts wherever I want, which is right here.When you are all grown up and a big boy - enough to smoke my car - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Isw2oj8s1Q0 - cat dish - GONE!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 AM   #6491
Tech Apprentice

Dude how old are you? 10?

No, I doubt it, even my 10 year old son wouldnt bother with such childish immature stuff....

You've got a lot to learn buddy.
Herkimer Jitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 AM   #6492
Tech Elite

Jay got slightly bored in between the 1st and 2nd final on the weekend. So...he built a caravan/trailer..

Out of an M03 chassis rear end, and two boxes of Type A 60D's! The trailer hitch was a 50cm length of solder wire.. Needless to say 1 lap was about as far as it got...

Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #6493
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnse7en View Post
You should really tune up your car. Even w/o the stock wheels and rims. lookiing from the pic, your LH side is WAY OUT OF WHACK. THE LEFT HUB IN YOUR PIC IS STICKING OUT way more than it should.

Come to Massachusetts, and my cousin and I will really show you how to race right - over 30mph - that's what we race at. Exige is for nancy girls. Trust me.You're probably the one who sticks in the back of the pack during the race, and bonks every backstop.

Oh - don't get me wrong. I respect you as a person - but not you're "holier than tho" Exige system. Trust me - my car will most certainly smoke your car. Game on.

WHEN YOU CAN ACTUALLY BURN RUBBER - then wake me up. I'll be waiting for you, and my finger is already on the trigger
Can't resist... but if you actually looked at the car, you'll see the horn on the servo is off too the right, which basically means the car is turning left. As it has a bit of toe-out on the links, that makes the left hand wheel look like its out of whack... Believe me, come over to the uk, and I'll show you how to set a car up!

To be quite honest, I couldn't give two hoots if your car could smoke mine in a straight line... on the track it ain't about that. There isn't any point running silly wind motors in a mini, the car (being FWD) just doesn't have the traction to deal with it. I'd rather run a higher wind (which will be smoother anyway), and make the most of the traction it has. As it is, I think you'll find I'm bloody quick with a mini anyway, can keep most of the 4wd 27t stock tourers at bay at my local club with it...

Apart from the fact also that a mini is gear limited, so you can't make most effiecent use of a higher powered motor anyway. In my eyes (and everyone else's it seems), the Exige system is spot on for the mini.

I'll leave my Tourer for the speed addiction and racing, and the mini for fun.

How about you go get a life instead of making a fool of yourself dicking on someone you have no clue about?

Adios
Ed
Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #6494
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnse7en View Post

wow.

I have a mini. Could you smoke mine too? You've obviously smoked something.

Last edited by eric7; 03-31-2008 at 02:29 PM.
eric7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #6495
Tech Elite

Latest update - It's here....

The definitive guide to Mini setup, online NOW. Go here to find out just what to do to get in the winners circle!