R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #6376
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
i just got the m03 from towerhobbies, and they are including the esc now. i use a 19t with no problem.

barely gets warm.
That's good to know. The ESC's manual doesn't list a motor limit, and now I feel better letting my cousin use it.
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT
dragnse7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #6377
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default EXIGE BL

Carl, Glad to hear that you have got the Exige system up and running. Will be good to see more Exige systems on the track.

I had the usual problems with my Exige system, where the car would have full noise for one or two practice laps and then the car would stop. I would then pull car over, turn off system, disconnect battery, wait 6 seconds, reconnect, turn on and then the car would have full noise again. This happened every heat.

Steve fixed me up with a replacement Exige speedie last night. So I hope this fixes the problem. Can't say enough about the support from Windsor Racing and Hobbies.

Look forward to comparing car speeds next Fri at the track. I will have the programmer with me if you need to have the settings changed. I will also be giving the new battery pack a lash. Thanks Greg.

Later

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 03-21-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: can
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #6378
Suspended

I'm not all familiar w/ the Exige system. Never noticed it in RC Car Action mags, or anything. It may be in there, but I'm always thumbing thru it for my familiar favs. A brushless system?

Any links or info would be helpful - thanks in advance.

I just ran 2 packs thru my M0-3L about 20 mins ago in my parking lot. It's wicked busy, and I got alot of smiles and heads turning. Fun fun fun! The shocks and sway bar set make a huge difference now! I got the car pretty much maxxed out (all the parts have come in and are now installed) and this thing is a land missile! It horks!
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT
Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #6379
Tech Elite

Talking EXIGE SYSTEM

dragnse7en,

Find attached a picture of the Exige BL1 system. This system works well in the Mini and saves the hassle of finding a good black motor. System requires little maintenance which means you can concentrate on driving.

This system is legal to use at our club meets, but not at club challenges.

Later

Calvin.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya mini cooper-speed_passion_exige_0712_f44.jpg  
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #6380
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
dragnse7en,

Find attached a picture of the Exige BL1 system. This system works well in the Mini and saves the hassle of finding a good black motor. System requires little maintenance which means you can concentrate on driving.

Later

Calvin.

any online stores in the US carry it?

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #6381
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
dragnse7en,

Later

Calvin.
Looks nice. it looks quite like a brushless motor tho, w/ an airplane brushless ESC to match. Apparently, there's no distrubutors for this in the USA. That's okay tho. I have a 14T dbl LRP V10 spec in mine. Good enuf for the parking lot, b/c that's all I care to drive it in.

My cousin eventually wants a brushless for the same chassis, but we only see Mamba as the best bet here in western Massachusetts.

Hey - thanks though!!!

Many thanks,
Christopher
Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #6382
Suspended

On a side note, I just blew my ball diff out tonight (manta ray ball diff), after some normal parking lot runs.

I swear - my cuzz and I both bought them, and his is holding up still. The only difference is the motor - 14TDBL (me) VS a Trinity P2K Pro stock (his). I have built ball diffs since I got my Frog when I was a kid, and I'm positively sure that I did it right. My cuzz's diff is still intact - and mine blown out - a bad set of new parts? I won't know till I pull the whole thing apart and find out for myself.

I could tell right away that the diff fried out, from knowing what a loose slipper clutch on my RC10T was all about. I could hear it and see it. No crunching gears or anything like that, just high throttle whining with almost zero forward motion.

I packed it up, brought it in the house, and even before I broke it down, I tested the diff. One wheel sat there and did nothing while I spun the other. Ouch!!!!! I feel that my original gear diff was rolling better, and of course I'll put it back in. At least I can use the hardened outdrives, which we can't do w/ the manta ray diff anyway.

Has anyone had the same problem w/ a MOD motor with this diff, or should I try my luck and get another one?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #6383
Tech Elite

Default BALLDIFF

dragnse7en,

I use the TAO-3 balldiff, built as per the instructions. When I place the screw in I use blue loctite to prevent it coming loose. This stops having to do so many diff rebuilds.

For tightness I do the screw all the way up and then back off about a eigthth of a turn.

The Exige system has not proven itself to the importer in the US, who is Shaun Palmer at Schumacher. I think they are waiting for a more robust system. Web-site is www.racing-cars.com

Hope it helps

Later

Calvin.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #6384
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The caterpillar was spotted again last night, going at a high rate of speed!

Tony, can you use this on the RCMINI website?
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:44 AM   #6385
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Cate3 ... nearly all ESC's require you to set the radio back to standard before setting up the ESC and motor. This was what I mentioned last night. Good to see it is working now
Old 03-22-2008, 03:45 AM   #6386
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Cobb View Post
The caterpillar was spotted again last night, going at a high rate of speed
Tony, can you use this on the RCMINI website?
Not only can I Ash... It's on the front page!
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:01 AM   #6387
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very Kewl pic Ashley!

Question for the M03 Bashers out there. Has anyone tried using RC18T Road Rage tires by Proline on their Mini? I have heard of people using the RC18T off-road tires on their Mini's for Rally Racing before so just wondering if anyone tried the on-road tires before?
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #6388
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
Not only can I Ash... It's on the front page!
Awesome! haha mate that's a pissa!

That pic was taken at England Park Raceway, not Meakin Park (the caterpillar is doing the South East Queensland tour)

Cheers mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant3150c View Post
Very Kewl pic Ashley!

Question for the M03 Bashers out there. Has anyone tried using RC18T Road Rage tires by Proline on their Mini? I have heard of people using the RC18T off-road tires on their Mini's for Rally Racing before so just wondering if anyone tried the on-road tires before?
Thanks mate
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #6389
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Minor indiscretion fixed now Ash.......
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #6390
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Cate3 ... nearly all ESC's require you to set the radio back to standard before setting up the ESC and motor. This was what I mentioned last night. Good to see it is working now
Yep!..Thanks Greg, your suggestion led me to trying another 'model' on radio. Although I thought I had reset all settings in current model to default, I think there must be a setting that eluded me! Anyway, all is good now. Thanks again to yourself and Calvin for your help.

Cheers,
Carl
cate3 is offline   Reply With Quote