R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #5536
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
BTW where's a pic of your mini with the new mirrors?
Sorry it took so long...LOL

akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #5537
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teehomo View Post

I've just given it a run up and down my street and found that it is not very stable in a straight line - it seems to want to wander of its own accord. I'm running a Futaba 3010 servo with the stock standard servo saver and a bit of toe out. I can't really measure the toe out accuratley as my setup guages are a bit big for the mini's width, but I shortened the turnuckles up a couple of turns each side over the stock set up. Everything else on the car is standard, except for a set of CVA shocks from a TA05 (with spacers under the piston and short springs to reduce ride height).
Are you sure you're running toe-out? You want a bit of toe-in with the Mini, will help keep it going straight. If you're not running it now, try installing the rear toe in uprights, item #53345. Gives you 2 degrees of toe-in and makes a big difference.
sportsracer-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #5538
Tech Master

Hey there Akura 2- That Mini looks familiar; I'm sure it runs as good as it looks
bowl806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #5539
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Tony Gray, the M03 video was a BLAST!
cartix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #5540
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsracer-5 View Post
Are you sure you're running toe-out? You want a bit of toe-in with the Mini, will help keep it going straight. If you're not running it now, try installing the rear toe in uprights, item #53345. Gives you 2 degrees of toe-in and makes a big difference.
No, on a mini you run toe out. That's what makes it run straight. You have to run a lot. C 2 degrees per side. Also helps turn in. If you can't measure it crank in toe out till you see a barely discernable amount with the suspension fully compressed. You're right about the rear toe in uprights
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #5541
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You want toe out on the front. If you want, you can run the toe in uprights if you really want to. Some people run it, others don't.
NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #5542
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have a little toe out, but it does revert to toe in when the suspension is compressed so I'll give it a bit more. Also, I have the new Toe in rear uprights so hopefully there is not much more to do.

On the question of servo savers what is the general consensus? Is the stock one shite or does it suffice?
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #5543
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

edit: I just realized that you have already localized the problem to slop in the servo saver... nevermind my drawn out post. I have never found the need to use a non-stock servo saver in any of my minis, but I also dont use very aggressive servos. I have broken the stock saver before and I've noticed that some stock kit servo horns & savers fit tighter than others... I've had to swap them around in the past to find the best fit.

Minis are awesome, & very easy to diagnose & maintain once you are familiar with them. Another area to watch out for... check your suspension step screws often, as they tend to work loose, but be careful not to overtighten them or thread them in crooked, or your suspension will hang up.

Have fun.

Last edited by mep; 12-05-2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: redundant info...
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #5544
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

akura2 your real Cooper is awesome

Tony the in-car vid is the best mini vid yet man... I love the up-close sound of the motor spinning over 20k! Very cool.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #5545
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi guys. After marshalling minis for a couple of months I could not stand by and watch so many others having so much fun, and have taken the plunge with an M03 (gotta love the orignal Cooper shell!!). I was also gifted a near new M03M roller by a very nice couple at my local track who had a few too many minis to race.

I've just given it a run up and down my street and found that it is not very stable in a straight line - it seems to want to wander of its own accord. I'm running a Futaba 3010 servo with the stock standard servo saver and a bit of toe out. I can't really measure the toe out accuratley as my setup guages are a bit big for the mini's width, but I shortened the turnuckles up a couple of turns each side over the stock set up. Everything else on the car is standard, except for a set of CVA shocks from a TA05 (with spacers under the piston and short springs to reduce ride height).

It looks like the servo saver may be the problem as it has a fair amount of play. I was just wondering if this is fairly common and if so how you guys have fixed it. I've considered using something like a Kimbrough with some spacers under the servo mounts to move it down - would this help?

In the long run I don't think it is going to make too much difference - at least it gives you something to do on the straights. I'm really looking forward to giving this a run in this weeks club championship (last race for the year ) and getting the Italian Job M03 out for next season.

Cheers guys.
You have got some great advise about toe in and out,but if you are still wondering about the servo saver,you can use one hard spring from the high tourque servo saver from Tamiya and just fit it over the plastic "C" spring on the stock servo saver.

Step screws i just Super glue in,they do work thier way out.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #5546
Tech Elite

Quote:
I have a little toe out, but it does revert to toe in when the suspension is compressed so I'll give it a bit more. Also, I have the new Toe in rear uprights so hopefully there is not much more to do.

On the question of servo savers what is the general consensus? Is the stock one shite or does it suffice?
I use the Kimbrough #124 or 125. You will have to space the servo down 2-3mm. You also need to redrill new holes as the existing holes are too far apart. It's a bit of a hassle, but well worth the trouble. Also while you're doing all this, you might as well change over to the ball cups. I have 3 minis and every one of them will run straight and turn in very aggressively. My driving needs a little help, but the minis are great.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #5547
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks for all of your advice guys. I've increased the the toe out on the front to the point where it retains just a bit when the suspension is fully compressed. I've also wrapped the metal spring from an old Tamiya Super Servo saver around he stock one to give it a bit more strength. Sunday will be my first run (weather permitting) and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll save the hop up options for my M03 which I'll build up for next season. I'll be able to compare the two and see how much the mini really does respond to tweaking and mods. Based on posts here and some local racers at my track I've gone for the ball diff, TRF shocks, universals, toe in rears, hinge pins and of course full bearings.

We have a pretty loyal mini contingent at my local track and this weekends Club Championship should see another good turn out with hopefully 2-3 heats ready to rock'n'roll.
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:06 AM   #5548
Tech Initiate

Thumbs down loserville

ever standback and read this thread... what a bunch of losers you all are... get a life..all you losers do is pat each other on the back and tell each other their mini stories..holy crap get a life.
minicrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #5549
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Are you feeling all alone again minicrapper? Awwwwww - poor widdle man......
NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #5550
Tech Initiate

Ran my first race last night with my new Mini. No one else bought there Mini with them so I ran with the Legend guys. The car felt good and I knocked off the rust (I and a Nitro guy so I havenít raced in a while) by the end of the night I was turning some decent times. I wasnít able to keep pace with the legends, running a silver can but I had fun.