R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #5416
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
BTW.. (For those who live/race in Southern California) where is everyone going to race now that SoCal is officially closed?

I heard Bending Corners Raceway (indoor carpet) is the next step..

keep me posted
Still not officially closed yet. We have been racing Minis on Fridays and have had an active mini class there for nearly 3 years. It looks like only a few more weeks tho. O.C. Circuit has a lot of Mini racers at LaMirada every month. We had 3 Mini heats there last month. BCR has a carpet and outdoor asphalt track and many of us are planning on moving over there eventually. There really has been a lot of Mini activity here and were always looking for more racers. We are racing this Friday at SoCal, but turnout may be a little thin with Thanksgiving and all. Bring your Mini and come race. TCS rules except open on tire and rims.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 AM   #5417
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIE BOB View Post
Tony, when is the next big Mini race, i have got the bug....or should that be a Fiat
AUSSIE BOB
Lots of mini fun down here Bob...a long way for you to come though!
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #5418
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Headshot

We are looking to get a Mini class going here in south Florida. I already have a handful interested....any suggestions on a proper track? Our current layout is a large 1/10th track with ROAR-spec 10' wide lanes, and the running length is around 715 feet. I assume this is ok?

I know it is a blast to watch 18R's run on this track....for those cars it is a HUGE layout, and we are considering having the races as laps instead of time. Ideas on the Mini?

Thanks in advance for the help.....

"Some People are like a Slinky- basically useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
Headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #5419
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
We are looking to get a Mini class going here in south Florida. I already have a handful interested....any suggestions on a proper track? Our current layout is a large 1/10th track with ROAR-spec 10' wide lanes, and the running length is around 715 feet. I assume this is ok?

I know it is a blast to watch 18R's run on this track....for those cars it is a HUGE layout, and we are considering having the races as laps instead of time. Ideas on the Mini?

Thanks in advance for the help.....
Turns--lotsa turns. Vary the radius and have at least one moderately long straight. Really long straights are boring. For the length of your track, you might consider running the black can. We allow lipos where we race as another way to level the playing field. $100 nimhs charged at 8+ amps were giving some people an unfair advantage. Establish a set of rules and stick to them. Our mini program has been running now close to 3 years with good turnouts 90% of the time. Other tracks have been showing interest in running minis, I think because of our program. The only hiccup we've had is when we didn't crack down on the rules "benders". People stopped turning out. Mini racing is for fun and who wants to run with someone you think is "cheating". This is also for the benefit of the guy who maybe is thought of as cheating, but really isn't. He's just plain fast. Good luck with your program and Minis forever.
PS You can PM me if you have any?? on our program
Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #5420
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TAMIYA M-03 BLUE PLATED FRAME SET

www.rcmarket.com.hk
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya mini cooper-dsc03697.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #5421
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to Headshot

thanks Granpa, I will PM you, so be prepared!!!

Our back straight is our signature feature that is loved by all of the racers, and it is almost 140ft.....does that qualify as a "really long straight"? We will be changing the layout next month after our Holiday Race that we are using to raise funds. This track has been dormant since Hurricane Wilma, and a few of us have, out of our own pocket, been getting the track presentable and raceable, but not where we want it.

I would love to hold a TCS Regional on this track, and I feel Florida deserves to hold one, so why not us? Besides, truth be known, I am really promoting Mini because.........well, because I want one for me!!! I pushed for Porsche Cup, we now have Porsche Cup....I pushed for F103GT, we now have F103GT......see? there might be a pattern developing......

"Some People are like a Slinky- basically useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
Headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #5422
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Still not officially closed yet. We have been racing Minis on Fridays and have had an active mini class there for nearly 3 years. It looks like only a few more weeks tho. O.C. Circuit has a lot of Mini racers at LaMirada every month. We had 3 Mini heats there last month. BCR has a carpet and outdoor asphalt track and many of us are planning on moving over there eventually. There really has been a lot of Mini activity here and were always looking for more racers. We are racing this Friday at SoCal, but turnout may be a little thin with Thanksgiving and all. Bring your Mini and come race. TCS rules except open on tire and rims.
Well if I don't get there this Friday... I'll pop in to race next Friday for sure... kinda short notice with Thanksgiving and all...

I used to race M01 on the east coast, and now I have an M03 chassis I can't wait to give it a go... ran it for the first time this past weekend at Sun Valley (KZ Speedway) and it was a blast... running Venom 3300's and a Black can, bearings, and TRF shocks... stock otherwise (HPI tires)
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #5423
mjw
Tech Adept

Default New to Mini racing

I just won an M03 in a draw at the local track and have it ready for the track on sunday. I bought 2 2400mAh NiCd batteries for it and have a couple older batteries I was going to use for practice (1600mAh and 2000mAh). My question is, what kind of runtime should I expect out of these (2400mAh) batteries if running in an 8min heat? I've heard that these batteries will last for quite a while in the mini but also heard some contradicting stories. Will I have to discharge and charge each battery between heats, or will on pack last 2 8min heats? Also, I've looked all over, but can't find what rate to discharge these packs. I have 2 ICE chargers and I've been charging the packs at 3A as per the battery packaging.

Mike W
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #5424
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
Well if I don't get there this Friday... I'll pop in to race next Friday for sure... kinda short notice with Thanksgiving and all...

I used to race M01 on the east coast, and now I have an M03 chassis I can't wait to give it a go... ran it for the first time this past weekend at Sun Valley (KZ Speedway) and it was a blast... running Venom 3300's and a Black can, bearings, and TRF shocks... stock otherwise (HPI tires)
SoCal opens at 3 for practice and racing starts at 7. We'll be waitin for you. We run silvercans and TCS rules pretty much. Open on rims and tires. The exceptions we make are to trim costs and adapt to the track surface. Your HPI tires are what most people run. Racing is fun, fast, and close. The difference from 1st to 3rd is usually less than 3 sec. Last weeks race was decided by .01 sec. Tip---see Brandon for motor help
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #5425
Tech Elite

Another tip. Bring a race body. No mirrors or bumpers. You'll make everyone nervous
Old 11-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #5426
Tech Rookie

what is the name of the older 540 motor with the 4 holes in the can and where can i find some.
SR901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #5427
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Waiting for pics of the '06 Mini Cooper S is driving me nuts. I hope they molded some new wheels for it & didn't carry over the '02 Cooper wheels or the old Minilite/Panasport style wheels like they did with the M04 Eunos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR901 View Post
what is the name of the older 540 motor with the 4 holes in the can and where can i find some.
Sounds like you're referring to the old 4-slot Johnson motors. I've got a few of them that I've been meaning to eBay... sending you a PM.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #5428
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Another tip. Bring a race body. No mirrors or bumpers. You'll make everyone nervous
Make shure you have mirrors and bumpers,add a roof rack and Oil pan guard.
If you cant race with these extra items. then whats the point ,might as well get a touring car.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 AM   #5429
Tech Apprentice

hi guys,
Just a quick question, does any one know were i can get a Chevron Monster Mini shell, i tried http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/product_i...ducts_id=11272 but they said they can`t get it from supplier.....help!
jbsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:09 AM   #5430
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here Rainbow Ten in Japan.

3713437100021,chevron models,3500YEN,MSL021 MONSTER M BODY
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote