Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

since there is no edit button... I meant it was me who wrote the original info about the X-Pattern tires being discontinued... I'm glad that HPI has changed their minds... the originally told me flat out that the tires would be discontinued.... my connection sent me like 12 tires and then told me... but I'm glad they turned out to be wrong...
Old 09-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Regarding the X patterns, the only evidence we have so far is the fax from the Australian agent, and it was them who said that HPI are now back in business with the X patterns. No-one has actually spotted any yet for real.

What is interesting is WHY it happened? Some of you may recall that I raised the issue some 6 months back of why some X patterns were fantastic, and some were...well CRAP. And I mean REALLY crap. Personally I threw out about 6 pairs as they were unusable.

I have a suspicion that HPI had noticed the same problem, and in fact never intended to discontinue the X patterns, just temporarily suspend production until they worked out why the tyres had become so inconsistent. Now that they've sorted the problem, its back to business as usual.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony gray
Regarding the X patterns, the only evidence we have so far is the fax from the Australian agent, and it was them who said that HPI are now back in business with the X patterns. No-one has actually spotted any yet for real.

What is interesting is WHY it happened? Some of you may recall that I raised the issue some 6 months back of why some X patterns were fantastic, and some were...well CRAP. And I mean REALLY crap. Personally I threw out about 6 pairs as they were unusable.

I have a suspicion that HPI had noticed the same problem, and in fact never intended to discontinue the X patterns, just temporarily suspend production until they worked out why the tyres had become so inconsistent. Now that they've sorted the problem, its back to business as usual.
Actually Tony. There may be a reason to explain the Crap tires.
This is what I have heard so I'm not sure if it is true, but I know the same applys to the latest batch of Tamiya type A mini tires. they are not as good as the previous tires.

I heard that there is a chemical in the RC tires that is getting banned. probably a Japanese enviromental issue. And they have been starting the convert all tires to a new chemical compound. So I wonder if that expalins this?
I know that a couple of companies have come out with new tires recently to hide the issue, as they start to depleate the old stock and then discontinue the old line of tires
Old 09-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Troy, that also fits in nicely with Pit Shimizu's decision to stop making Mini tires altogether. And I know that the latest Ride's are also a new compound too.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure but certainly some of the pieces of the tire jigsaw are starting to fit together.

Although I must say, the X patterns started to 'go off' well over 12 months ago (well thats when we first noticed it anyway) so whether the two incidents are connected? Who knows...

I have some of the newest batch of Type A's myself too although I haven't noticed any real difference in them...yet!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

a couple of years ago there was a compound change as well. I remember one of the major rubber manufacturing plants had a fire and was shut down. After that the Pit tires for the F201 were not as good as before too.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony gray
Troy, that also fits in nicely with Pit Shimizu's decision to stop making Mini tires altogether. And I know that the latest Ride's are also a new compound too.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure but certainly some of the pieces of the tire jigsaw are starting to fit together.

Although I must say, the X patterns started to 'go off' well over 12 months ago (well thats when we first noticed it anyway) so whether the two incidents are connected? Who knows...

I have some of the newest batch of Type A's myself too although I haven't noticed any real difference in them...yet!
At the TCS nats this year you could really tell the difference in the old tire and the tires that TA had just got in for the event. Everyone with the new tire was saying that the car was not handleing very well with the new tires, as compared with worn tire that they brought with them.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
At the TCS nats this year you could really tell the difference in the old tire and the tires that TA had just got in for the event. Everyone with the new tire was saying that the car was not handleing very well with the new tires, as compared with worn tire that they brought with them.
I am pure proof that the different batch of tires were directly related to my car handling perfect in the first two heats and after that I cut open my tires because they were wearing out and took the insert combo and put them in a set of new tires bought at the track and my car was never the same. Unreal how much difference the compound of the rubber of the "same" tire changes the setup. By the way with only two good qualifiers out of four I managed to qualify 3rd thats not bad. Got any tribo tech troy for sale I need to get some to this chemist friend of mine that said he can replicate it with out a problem.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default tire choice

whats a good tire for running on ozite carpet? and what inserts front and rear?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
I am pure proof that the different batch of tires were directly related to my car handling perfect in the first two heats and after that I cut open my tires because they were wearing out and took the insert combo and put them in a set of new tires bought at the track and my car was never the same. Unreal how much difference the compound of the rubber of the "same" tire changes the setup. By the way with only two good qualifiers out of four I managed to qualify 3rd thats not bad. Got any tribo tech troy for sale I need to get some to this chemist friend of mine that said he can replicate it with out a problem.

If your chemist is your Meth dealer, I should probably warn you that he might not be able to replicate it. If he thinks he can, I'm affraid he is probably using the stuff he sells you.

All jokes aside (sorry I had to)

How much do you need?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by minidriver
Given all the weight bias to the left front (with the motor hanging out there) there is always tweak in an M03.
Hey there just have to add my 2 cents on tweaking a mini. The last time I built a new car (mo-4) for the TCS I also put it on a tweak board just to see how bad it really was. I knew from the start that I would never be able to get the car perfect, because of the motor issue, but I did add a few shock shims thinking that I could get it better. It actually made a difference at the track. The car launched better and was easier to drive. Was it any faster? Nah its a mini!! But having a car that's easier to drive can't hurt lap after lap I figure. Ever since then Ive made it a point to put new cars on the tweak board and see if I can get them tweaked out a little better then they start out.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
If your chemist is your Meth dealer, I should probably warn you that he might not be able to replicate it. If he thinks he can, I'm affraid he is probably using the stuff he sells you.

All jokes aside (sorry I had to)

How much do you need?
How much can you get, can I buy a bottle or two. Or are you saying you can only get small amounts like an ounce or less. If your looking for Meth you might want to try southern spokane there a close second to Riverside,CA.
Not that I know from personal experience I just watch alot of Cops.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
How much can you get, can I buy a bottle or two. Or are you saying you can only get small amounts like an ounce or less. If your looking for Meth you might want to try southern spokane there a close second to Riverside,CA.
Not that I know from personal experience I just watch alot of Cops.
I have my own stash, but not much.

Spokane is over a 5 hour drive.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Mini Set up

Hi,

I have two questions.

Where did you measure the height from the chassie?

What Set up did you drive on carpet with A Typ?

Daniel
Old 10-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

S-Grips (with the sidewall glued) up front and Type A's in the back work awesome on medium grip carpet!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just going back to the tweak thing.....

Last night I was bored, so gave my mini a strip down (wanted to pack the diff full of AW greese anyway, the action was getting a little loose). Unfortuantly a lot of the silver coating is now flaking off the chassis.... oh well... but I brought this mini to drive, not too look preeeeedy

After the quick rebuild (re-oil the bearings, check everythings nice and free), thought I'd check it on my MIP tweak board to see how far out it was.... to my suprise, the rear was spot on, and the front just required one extra medium shock spacer on the RF to get it equal... not bad I thought!

Still... gonna need some new tyres soon, the monster 27t in the car is ripping through the standard front's, so for the mo, i've swapped fronts and rear's over, until I can grab some more

Really enjoying the mini at the moment, get to run it on some rug for the first time this weekend

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.