R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #4186
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

can somebody verify if any of the HPI mini bodies fit the M03R? Specifically, i'm looking at the Civic body

thanks

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #4187
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 238 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Much too complicated.
How "complicated" can a claim rule be? Lay down your $30 (or whatever) and take the motor. This has been used to take engines out of the equation on circle tracks across the nation for DECADES, works like a treat and it's WAY more pita to remove those engines.

Quote:
Have you ever attended a TCS regional event here in the US??
The spirit of TCS is having Fun..
I have not, and I'm sure it is a fair bit of fun. HOWEVER...we have heard (anecdotal, to be certain) evidence of people buying bags of motors looking for the "keepers". There's an entire thread about Silver Can Ju-Ju. Overacheivers like these are what take fun out of what is supposed to be an "everyman" class and a simple rule like "claiming" pretty well eliminates it by removing the incentive for such behaviors.

Quote:
Seeing as the real prize comes from the national event. and all the regional event does is allow you participate in the national.
Here is where my real point was...the Regional events are VERY important--they are the gateway to participation at the National event. I don't disagree with this situation (in fact the ROAR Nats and Regionals would be far more relevant if they went back to the same situation) but would feel the tech to be at least AS important at the Regional level than the Nationals. And let's be honest, the tech requirements of these cars ain't too tough--they've got the shortest, most clear rules I've seen in racing. I guarantee you I could "train" my wife (who does not race RC) to tech the M-chassis cars. She doesn't have to know WHAT was done, just to spot the difference(s) and ask questions.

Quote:
The second question I have, have you ever been commited to being a tech person at an event?.
Why yes I have. If a club or group is going to host ANY big event they need people to fill certain roles or the event suffers (and we've ALL been to events either way here and have seen the differences). A TCS Regional event IS a big event, there should be designated officials. Period.

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #4188
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6 View Post
I'll be the first "not so expert" to reply:

My understanding of the reason for "Double stuffing" is to get a bit more "gearing" (actually a bit more roll-out). Double stuffing gives you a slightly larger diameter tire, so the roll-out is slightly higher. I haven't done the math, and I doubt it makes this big of a difference, but it may be like running a 21 tooth pinion instead of a 20.

So... there would be no reason to double stuff the free-wheeling rear tires .

Does that make sense?
Actually, I think the double stuffing is not for more rollout.

With the front drive mini, there is a forward weight bias. The 60 D tires have a fairly large sidewall height, and that sidewall is fairly soft, expecially on the S grip radials and A compound slicks. What double stuffing does is give you a full tire, one in which the sidewall will not flex or collapse (fold over) during cornering. Less flex or collapse means that the car will scrub off less speed during corners - keeps the corner speed up. It also will react faster in back to back steering transitions (chicanes).

If you watch a mini in a corner and it seems to snap the back end around unexpectedly, one thing to observe is whether the front tire sidewall is "folding over", digging in the front outside tire in the turn, which causes the inside rear tire to have less weight or even lift, and thus the spin out.

If you have the combination of a front tire folding over and too little shock suspension travel, you get a combination that can lead to snap roll overs in high traction situations like carpet.

The reason I have not found double stuffing the rears to be helpful is that the rear end of a mini is so light compared to the front, this "folding over" effect of the tire sidewall is minimal - thus no need to double stuff the rear tires.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #4189
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
what compound tires come with the m03r kit?
I was expecting S grips - but they are not so marked and appear to be the standard low grip regular kit tires.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #4190
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidriver View Post
Actually, I think the double stuffing is not for more rollout.

With the front drive mini, there is a forward weight bias. The 60 D tires have a fairly large sidewall height, and that sidewall is fairly soft, expecially on the S grip radials and A compound slicks. What double stuffing does is give you a full tire, one in which the sidewall will not flex or collapse (fold over) during cornering. Less flex or collapse means that the car will scrub off less speed during corners - keeps the corner speed up. It also will react faster in back to back steering transitions (chicanes).

If you watch a mini in a corner and it seems to snap the back end around unexpectedly, one thing to observe is whether the front tire sidewall is "folding over", digging in the front outside tire in the turn, which causes the inside rear tire to have less weight or even lift, and thus the spin out.

If you have the combination of a front tire folding over and too little shock suspension travel, you get a combination that can lead to snap roll overs in high traction situations like carpet.

The reason I have not found double stuffing the rears to be helpful is that the rear end of a mini is so light compared to the front, this "folding over" effect of the tire sidewall is minimal - thus no need to double stuff the rear tires.
You learn something new everyday. Thanks.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #4191
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I think it is a combination of both keeping the rollout as high as possible and keeping sidewall flex to a minimum.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #4192
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Last time I checked, Mini was no more an 'everyman' class than, say, GT1. That would be 'Spec'.

Therefore, in my mind (and I've been doing this for a little while), the only difference between Mini (or any other closed-endbell class, for that matter) is that the endbell is...closed. That rule is inviolable.

The TCS rules say you can't open that baby up and it has to start as a Mabuchi or Johnson. So once you get away from the trick 20/21/23 turn 'looks like a Mabuchi' cheater motors (and let's face it, those who run them are truly cheating, and cheating themselves), everything else is...legal.

Want to buy a box O' motors and keep the genetic mutants?
Be my guest.
Want to water dip your silver canned wonder in some special prep of chemical condiments?
Right this way.
Feel the need to buy a grand's worth of motor tuning equipment? Please, allow me.
How about high-zoot batteries, speed controls, lightweight servos, Spektrum radio systems, and similar cost-no-object stuff?
May I hold the door for you?

Because at the end of the day, until and unless this becomes another 'Spec' class, it be racing. That means "bring your game".

Having said that, Scottrik is welcome to purchase my mini motor at the end of any TCS regional we both attend and in which he participates. $30- best money you'll ever spend.

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #4193
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Amen to that!
NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #4194
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Last time I checked, Mini was no more an 'everyman' class than, say, GT1. That would be 'Spec'.

Therefore, in my mind (and I've been doing this for a little while), the only difference between Mini (or any other closed-endbell class, for that matter) is that the endbell is...closed. That rule is inviolable.

The TCS rules say you can't open that baby up and it has to start as a Mabuchi or Johnson. So once you get away from the trick 20/21/23 turn 'looks like a Mabuchi' cheater motors (and let's face it, those who run them are truly cheating, and cheating themselves), everything else is...legal.

Want to buy a box O' motors and keep the genetic mutants?
Be my guest.
Want to water dip your silver canned wonder in some special prep of chemical condiments?
Right this way.
Feel the need to buy a grand's worth of motor tuning equipment? Please, allow me.
How about high-zoot batteries, speed controls, lightweight servos, Spektrum radio systems, and similar cost-no-object stuff?
May I hold the door for you?

Because at the end of the day, until and unless this becomes another 'Spec' class, it be racing. That means "bring your game".

Having said that, Scottrik is welcome to purchase my mini motor at the end of any TCS regional we both attend and in which he participates. $30- best money you'll ever spend.
Doc, I got $30 for the motor that won the Seattle TCS!
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #4195
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Doc, I got $30 for the motor that won the Seattle TCS!
LMAO!

I've only been running a Mini for a little over a year - I bought a used one and lucked in to a really hot motor (compared to the others in my club) - and I will say that while a super fast motor is a big part of the equation, I will also say that it is NOT all of the equation.

Not to brag on being beaten (?!), but I have been outran by cars that I can easily pull on the straight.

It ain't just motors....

Now that being said - can someone pass me some tricks to get more rpm's out of this thing?
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #4196
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post
LMAO!

I've only been running a Mini for a little over a year - I bought a used one and lucked in to a really hot motor (compared to the others in my club) - and I will say that while a super fast motor is a big part of the equation, I will also say that it is NOT all of the equation.

Not to brag on being beaten (?!), but I have been outran by cars that I can easily pull on the straight.

It ain't just motors....

Now that being said - can someone pass me some tricks to get more rpm's out of this thing?
keep the bushings oiled and run the heck out of it. the old motor is a fast motor in my experience
Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #4197
Tech Regular

Where online does everyone get their Mini parts? Also what part numbers are needed to switch to the Swift suspension?
Thanks
tarheelquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #4198
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelquality View Post
Where online does everyone get their Mini parts? Also what part numbers are needed to switch to the Swift suspension?
Thanks
51238 x 1 plastics
51239 x 2 4 pack wheel bearings
50882 x 1 kingpin set
Try Speedtech or champrc
Old 06-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #4199
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does anyone have a general M03 setup for out side asphalt? Thanks!
TMcKinney711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #4200
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Daddy Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidriver View Post
I was expecting S grips - but they are not so marked and appear to be the standard low grip regular kit tires.
I thought I would post this. Trackside has started racing dirt Oval and Minidriver (Dave Weir) decided to put his mini in the mix in Stock and Man it looked good!

Boomer

Last edited by Big Daddy Boomer; 09-14-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Big Daddy Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote