Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Red-Line M03

Get the M03L plus buy a spare body that will fit the M03 length chassis, either the M03 minicooper body, or if you want something different, the Honda s800 body also fits the M03 (but not the MO3L) (discontinued, I have a couple left if anyone is interested, PM me).

I have raced all three (M04M, M03, M03L) on carpet on a regular basis. I used the M03L to win the TCS Nationals in 2003. My take on the comparison is this.

The M03 can be the faster car overall of the front-drivers. It is amazing, but the M03, with its slightly shorter chassis (due to removal or lack of the 20mm chassis extension piece (with its four screws) and the slightly smaller body, is a couple of ounces lighter than an M03L. I didn't think it was that much until I put each car on a scale. Now a couple of ounces may not seem like much, but the extra punch out of a corner is noticeable. If we were running something other than silver cans it might be different, but with power always at a premium, those couple ounces make a difference.

While the M03 can be a touch faster, it is also a bit more twitchy. The M03L is definitely easier to drive on most layouts. If you can handle the M03's twitchiness, that can be the faster car. All things considered, I generally like the M03L over the M03 (except when I racing Eric Whippler (TCS 2001 Nationals champ), who always uses the M03, where the weight difference is so noticeable (acceleration out of the corner) it makes my M03L look like it has thrown an anchor out back!)

You didn't mention the M04M chassis (rear drive, with the smaller 60D tires just like the M03). Too bad it is gear limited in TCS (19T vs 20T pinion) that can't be legally matched up for pinion size. (That one tooth difference is a REAL killer on the Tamiya CA track, with the 125' straight plus sweeper. So much time is spent on that track at max RPM that the M03's waive goodbye to the M04's). The M04M can kill the M03's with superior roll speed on the right track layouts - not all the commotion going on up front like the M03 front drivers, and a lower center of gravity not having the servo up on top of the chassis. I had my 13 year old son driving the M03L and not an M04M because I felt the M04M was harder to drive (but potentially faster than both M03 and M03L if you have the same size pinion (not TCS legal) in them). There are times that you have to be gentle on the throttle of the M04's on carpet (from a dead stop) or the back end can break way on you. He then asked to try my M04M, and he's been hooked ever since, qualifying for the top half of the A at our TCS regional. Just seems to suit his driving style, and who am I to argue!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Anybody intrested in an M03 newly built (never run)? I also have 2 new trinity Maxx Paxx batteries to go along with it. Asking 120 shipped
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-mini.jpg  
Old 06-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Super M-03

My m-03 is almost completely standard at the moment because of the local rules (has to use the original MSC, only mods allowed are ball bearings and swaybars).. but I'm thinking of replacing the silver can motor/ MSC with a brushless setup, probably the latest Novak brushless. i got a spare set of TRF dampers so i'll install them to the mini, what other mods you guys think i'll need? I guess traction will probably be a big problem and the gearing maybe a problem too? has anyone here done something similar? like putting a 10T into your mini ?

Yeah it'll be just a fun project and i know money better spent on other cars but i want to do something a bit different (and i want to keep my TC and 1:12 race legal)
Old 06-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default CooperS

GPWPAT
One more Q. does anybody make a new mini S body? I the standard new body comming on the way in one of my ebay parts lots but being a real S owner it would be cool to have a rc version in hobby quality of it.
As far as an S there is none unless you can find an old Protoform body from 02-03. Good luck I have been looking anlong with calling Proto. I just found one in old stock in a shop in Canada. It is now Hyper Blue and looking just like my personal car.

Protoform commented that it was discontinued, my guess is that licsencing killed them.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default mo3 l ???

If I decide to purchase a mo3-l and remove the middle extender part can I still install my esc and receiver in the rear chassis for a low center of gravity?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Anyone running a M04? Looking for picture of one without the body on. The one I saw wasn't a very good picture.
I've got a M-04L. But I haven't really run it since getting my TC3. Do you still need the pic?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:11 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aries326
I've got a M-04L. But I haven't really run it since getting my TC3. Do you still need the pic?
Mine showed up today but I missed the postman so I will have to pick it up tommorrow. Can't wait to get it. It should be fun to try to get this car to work.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Red-Line as long as you are not using old (big) electronics you should not have any issues fitting it all in the rear section.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Mine showed up today but I missed the postman so I will have to pick it up tommorrow. Can't wait to get it. It should be fun to try to get this car to work.

Nice. What body did you get with it? I got the S2000. Too bad no one around here races these things.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by yellow15
My m-03 is almost completely standard at the moment because of the local rules (has to use the original MSC, only mods allowed are ball bearings and swaybars).. but I'm thinking of replacing the silver can motor/ MSC with a brushless setup, probably the latest Novak brushless. i got a spare set of TRF dampers so i'll install them to the mini, what other mods you guys think i'll need? I guess traction will probably be a big problem and the gearing maybe a problem too? has anyone here done something similar? like putting a 10T into your mini ?

Yeah it'll be just a fun project and i know money better spent on other cars but i want to do something a bit different (and i want to keep my TC and 1:12 race legal)
Brushless would be a waste in a mini, seriously... and it will likely cost you a fortune in gear sets.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default HIGHEST QUALITY BEARING KIT FOR THE MO3-L

Who Makes the highest quality bearing kit for the Mo3-L ?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

With a question like that.... I have to ask is money no object?
You might think the M class cars are cheap... but I know of at least a couple m class cars with more $$ invested in 'trick' parts and worth more than my FK'05...

try Acer or Boca
Old 06-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default WOW THOSE CAN GET REALLY EXPENSIVE $$$$

WOW those can get expensive.

acerracing.com
bocabearings.com

Is there a big differents between a Tamiya sealed bearing and a Boca bearing or an Acer bearing.
I am just looking for any kind of advantage because I will be running in Tcs competition.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know if you would notice a difference between any of the steel ball bearings in a mini. If you went to the expensive ceramics, you would see a reduction in weight.

I don't know if you can find an advantage per se... there's likely very little left that someone hasn't a;ready tried or done.

I'd suggest water dipping the motor (not for long!!)

and spending a lot of time on setup. Check out the tamiyausa website for their build up of an M03L.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

If you're looking for all out performance...don't bother with ceramic bearings. Get a set of Tamiya blue shielded bearings and blow out all the grease and run them DRY or with a tiny drop of bearing oil. Of course, they won't last long but you get's what you pay for

Have a look at this article written by grand poobah David Beale: Built to Win - BMW Mini Building and Setup Guide

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.