Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default endbell color.....?

When you purchase a kit you get a motor that has a white endbell......if you buy a replacement motor off the shelf the endbell is black.....? Which is which ????? One has 3 fingers on the brushes the other has 2 the kit motor breaks in really fast if you water dip it(3 finger brush seats real quick )!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The white/silver endbells with large serrated brush sides are Mabuchis. The black endbell motors with the concave brush sides are Johnsons.

As mentioned above, if the box says 540-J, they're Johnson motors, and are the currently sold type. Mabuchis will still be found with the older kits, as newer ones now come with Johnsons.

They both have two large vent holes, though some older Johnsons have 4 smaller vent holes.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

I think I want to "correct" you that Mabuchi's are found in older kits. THis is because there were two of us running newly bought Suzuki minis and both of us got the M's and almost got disqualified as it came with what was thought to be HPI motors.

I guess with this topic coming up, it kind of clarifies that the motor that I got is indeed from Tamiya. Found myself confused as well And I guess new kits still may come with the Mabuchi's

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
The white/silver endbells with large serrated brush sides are Mabuchis. The black endbell motors with the concave brush sides are Johnsons.

As mentioned above, if the box says 540-J, they're Johnson motors, and are the currently sold type. Mabuchis will still be found with the older kits, as newer ones now come with Johnsons.

They both have two large vent holes, though some older Johnsons have 4 smaller vent holes.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

What batteries do you guys use? I am looking to get some new battery. Thanks.

FYI:
The 4200 WC stick packs weights 440g
The 3800 Matched stick packs weights 415g
The orion 2400 nicad weights 330g
The orion 3200 lipo w/ 14x7g of lead added, 300g
Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Batteries????

Originally Posted by straightaway
What batteries do you guys use? I am looking to get some new battery. Thanks.

FYI:
The 4200 WC stick packs weights 440g
The 3800 Matched stick packs weights 415g
The orion 2400 nicad weights 330g
The orion 3200 lipo w/ 14x7g of lead added, 300g

We really haven't noticed a huge difference either way????? It seems the fastest guys up here......buy several motors....dyno and find that one little gem out of the lot !!! JMO
Old 02-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f2000racer
I think I want to "correct" you that Mabuchi's are found in older kits. THis is because there were two of us running newly bought Suzuki minis and both of us got the M's and almost got disqualified as it came with what was thought to be HPI motors.

I guess with this topic coming up, it kind of clarifies that the motor that I got is indeed from Tamiya. Found myself confused as well And I guess new kits still may come with the Mabuchi's
Really? That's interesting.. They must be just getting rid of what they have left of their mabuchi stock or something..

I just figured the 540-J's are all they're actively selling, including in the newer kits..
Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

It's a not TCS legal but we use a homegrown closed end silver can. It has more punch and rpms(about 10%) than a Sport Tuned motor and has a built in cooling fan. They're fins built around the armature and force out heat as it spins. You can really feel the warm breeze coming out the vents. Weather gets pretty hot over here and these motors never get super hot like our old Johnsons/Mabuchis or Sporttuned ones. I have sent a few out to members in this forum and they really like this motor.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_3335.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_3336.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_3337.jpg  
Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 AM

My newest mini

You can see more here
http://www.rcracer.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6455
Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
It seems the fastest guys up here......buy several motors....dyno and find that one little gem out of the lot
Yes, and it's overachievers like that who really SHOULD be playing in another class. Playing BS games like that really defeats the intent of what the Mini class is all about. Yeah, I'm not so naive as to believe is doesn't happen, I just find it sad that it probably does.

Scottrik
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

i can confim MiniManintaiwan's statement about his "homegrown motors" those are very impressive! you wont be dissapointed. i have orderd 3 from him.

by the way, did you revceive the payment yet miniman? pm me!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM

sold

Last edited by Bodywerx; 03-01-2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: sold
Old 02-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bodywerx
link isn't working for me.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:45 PM

fixed
Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
We really haven't noticed a huge difference either way????? It seems the fastest guys up here......buy several motors....dyno and find that one little gem out of the lot !!! JMO
This is taken from the Canadian TCS rules:

3. Kit type closed-end bell, silver can motor only. Motors must not perform better that a 1.3amp draw at 2volts on a Peak or Orion Motor Performance Monitor. Motors will be checked throughout the race day. This is being done to tighten up the racing and encourage new racers to join this low cost type of racing!

This is a great rule and should be copied throughout the world in all the TCS classes that use a Silver Can Motor.

The only thing is, to get the amp draw numbers for other dynos from Trinity, APS, Muchmore ect. This is so we can have a standard rating. Not everyone has access to an Orion or Peak Motor dyno.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slotcarrod
This is taken from the Canadian TCS rules:

3. Kit type closed-end bell, silver can motor only. Motors must not perform better that a 1.3amp draw at 2volts on a Peak or Orion Motor Performance Monitor. Motors will be checked throughout the race day. This is being done to tighten up the racing and encourage new racers to join this low cost type of racing!

This is a great rule and should be copied throughout the world in all the TCS classes that use a Silver Can Motor.

The only thing is, to get the amp draw numbers for other dynos from Trinity, APS, Muchmore ect. This is so we can have a standard rating. Not everyone has access to an Orion or Peak Motor dyno.
when the test is done do they put a break in fan on the motor? or is the test done with not load on the motor at all?

Thanks,
Larry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.