R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #3286
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
what type ferrari is it??? just looks like Testarossa...but i'm not sure..
Nope, not a Testarosa. Missing those awful side strakes.

Looks like the immediate predecessor to the TR though, a 365 or 512 BB, maybe a BBLM (Boxer Berlinetta/LeMans) from which the 512 Testarosa derived it's horizontally opposed (boxer) 12-cylinder engine. For those who didn't know, the numbers (almost alway) that designate a Ferrari model represent the cc capacity of one cylinder. 365 X 12 gives a 4.38-litre engine, 512 X 4 gives a 6.14-litre engine (375 cu in)

The scale would be wonky as the BB (and any other "supercar") is substantially larger than any of the M-chassis cars listed. In fact, I just looked it up and the wheelbase listed makes the body almost exactly 1/12 scale. The body width isn't listed, but looking at the M-chassis one would figure it to be in the neighborhood of 170-175mm which is wide for a proper 1/12 model, but most RC cars run wide anyway. Also note that 172mm IS the spec width for 1/12 RC cars. The decals/insert DOES indicate 1/10, but I'm guessing ABC "splashed" the body from someone elses 1/12 body from the good 'ol days when 1/12 cars looked like, well, cars.

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)

Last edited by Scottrik; 06-27-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #3287
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray
To me doing all that pretty much defeats the whole reason for running Minis in the first place!

We've been through all that sort of stuff over the 10 years we've been running Minis and came to the conclusion that

A - Too much work
B - Much as we'd like to think otherwise, we really couldnt tell the difference!

However, if it works for Akuhon then all power to him. But its all too much work for me!
Yeah ... you're right ..... I just like to push it to the limit ....
BTW. time and money doesn't count... think I'm just lucky, .....

Cheers mate,
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #3288
Tech Apprentice

Default Mine...

Here is my parking lot basher.... nothing special under the lid.... bearings, unknown brand silvercan motor, week old body already starting to get beat up on the front end.
I built the speedway catch-fence backdrop after getting the idea from watching the Daytona 500 on TV today.

ScionBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #3289
Tech Adept

for some reason, when i see this mini, i think, "knight rider"....i can almost hear it say "hello michael" all you need now is some red LEDs glowing across the hood. whoo~woo
TENCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #3290
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Bikerbob Send a message via MSN to Bikerbob Send a message via Yahoo to Bikerbob
Default I got it.. going to use it.

Hey people,

Wanted to ask ... has anyone run the VW Golf body for the mini?

I managed to find one NIP and I am going to paint it up.

has a little wing on it.. looks ok..

If you had the choice between the manta ray diff.. (your only choice) and the gear diff.. would you say there is any real difference?
Bikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #3291
Tech Champion

Well yesterday I got to play with my RTR mini for a battery pack worth...third time I've been able to do that. It brought up a couple questions:

Firstly, what I've been thinking is a loose diff (spinning up under power) MAY very well be wheel spin. I rotated the tires front-back and the car was undriveable--on any corner entry (even trying as gentle turn-in as possible) the rear end just skated around. Rotated the tires back and the rear end stayed behind it just fine, but I think it's spinning the fronts endlessly. At least it's driveable. Is there that much variance in the tires?

For a particular reason having to do with this particular "experiment" I need to keep with the stock tires. Would it be helpful to "scuff" the offending tires on my truer? I know it (Integy Auto-Tru) is supposedly good for "re-surfacing" rubber tires.

Otherwise, I've had fun playing with this. Our local painter guru brought me my Alfa body which has been painted up like an Alfa that is vintage raced in the NW. Looks HOT. I'll get the body trimmed and post up a pic. No cliche' reds here...

Scottrik

Old 02-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #3292
Tech Adept

tires are like, the most important factor when it comes to handling.! i say get some X-patterns for the front, any soft slick for the rear....thats how i'm set up, and my mini is dialed on pretty much any asphalt track.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #3293
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
For a particular reason having to do with this particular "experiment" I need to keep with the stock tires.
I re-iterate...I need to keep with the stock tires. At the very least my wish would be to stay "TCS-legal". The HPI's are neither of those. What we're evaluating is an entry-level class specifying RTR Minis in as-delivered form. Even the radio must be used. We have, collectively, little rubber tire experience and NO substantive Tamiya experience.

My questions:

1) Is there that much variance with the stock tires, or has the one set been overly "polished" spinning on the carpet?

2) Would "scuffing" the offending tires help?

3) What traction treatment would be recommended for carpet, keeping in mind we're a "oderless" club. I've used TQ orange (what we used on rubber tires when I did a little TC on them at Rain City) and I've used Niftech. Neither and both had no effect on the pair of tires that seems to have no grip.

Thanks,

Scottrik

Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #3294
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
I re-iterate...I need to keep with the stock tires. At the very least my wish would be to stay "TCS-legal". The HPI's are neither of those. What we're evaluating is an entry-level class specifying RTR Minis in as-delivered form. Even the radio must be used. We have, collectively, little rubber tire experience and NO substantive Tamiya experience.

My questions:

1) Is there that much variance with the stock tires, or has the one set been overly "polished" spinning on the carpet?

2) Would "scuffing" the offending tires help?

3) What traction treatment would be recommended for carpet, keeping in mind we're a "oderless" club. I've used TQ orange (what we used on rubber tires when I did a little TC on them at Rain City) and I've used Niftech. Neither and both had no effect on the pair of tires that seems to have no grip.

Thanks,

Scottrik
If you can find an odorless traction compound then use it on those rears. I use Pargaon which helps a lot but of course it isn't odorless. Eventually those tires will wear out. My fronts are already almost bald from 4-5 races on them and are you required to replace them with the stock tires? If you want to simply stay "TCS Legal" then you could look into the M and S grip 60D tires from Tamiya which are much softer and folks at our track have had a lot of success using those with HPI 26mm soft inserts stuffed in them. Any insert is TCS legal. If you are required to use only those and no traction compounds then you WILL have handling issues on carpet.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #3295
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Ice_nl

At the club where i race they have a mini indoor competition. the rules are basically stock mini of swift, no hop ups but the electrics dont have to be original. We usually use Tamiya M grips on the front and the stock tamiya tires that come with the kit on the rear. The only mod that almost everyone has done is lowering the mini so that the arm are level. The last races most drivers switched to M grips front and rear which was faster but the car would traction roll in the corners. This track is very small and we aren't allowed to use any traction compound. Even for cleaning the tires only water is allowed.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #3296
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_nl
At the club where i race they have a mini indoor competition. the rules are basically stock mini of swift, no hop ups but the electrics dont have to be original. We usually use Tamiya M grips on the front and the stock tamiya tires that come with the kit on the rear. The only mod that almost everyone has done is lowering the mini so that the arm are level. The last races most drivers switched to M grips front and rear which was faster but the car would traction roll in the corners. This track is very small and we aren't allowed to use any traction compound. Even for cleaning the tires only water is allowed.
For that, try stiffening the sidewalls. Experiment with different inserts. The traction rolling is happening when the sidewall flexes to much. That's one cause anyway or you can also use a lighter rear spring.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #3297
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack
those rear hubs have 2 holes for camber adjustment?
Yup, sure looks that way to me...

Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #3298
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENCHO
for some reason, when i see this mini, i think, "knight rider"....i can almost hear it say "hello michael" all you need now is some red LEDs glowing across the hood. whoo~woo

Black was the only color I had left.....

Hasselhoff can drive the Firebird.... Gary Coleman can drive the Mini:
ScionBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #3299
Tech Adept

Troy you coming to Van City to run TCS?

Want to defend your Western MINI King Title?
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya mini cooper-tcs-07-film.jpg  
pac-man808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #3300
Tech Adept

Gary Coleman..LOL!