R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #3196
Tech Addict
 
defMondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimanintaiwan
Just got my Team Orion Carbon Lipo 3200 pack! Will run it in my mini very soon. Thanks tony/rc-mini for the setup info. Looking forward to that extra jump/speed/runtime! just wondering if you could show a picture of how you wired it up. Looks like all your wiring is in the chassis and the pics on rc-mini don't really show much detail. Do you also run a balancer between your charger and pack? How many amps are you charging with? Thanks!!

Checkout taipei's 1st indoor rc track. It's short and winding; just perfect for the mini!
The wiring is all hidden in the chassis, when I can be bothered doing it I like it better that way, I dont like seeing lots of wire hanging out everywhere.

I'll try to draw a wiring diagram tonight, if I have time (packing for a trip). But basically it's wired as normal, the only difference is that I'm using the Novak Smart Stop (NSS) 2 cell version, which prevents discharging the lipo to far so it wont burst into flames .

I have wired the NSS to the battery inputs on the ESC and then using double sided tape stuck it on top of the ESC. The cable from the ESC that normaly plugs to the receiver is plugged into the NSS and the wired from the NSS plugs in to the throttle output on the receiver. Prety straight forward.

I dont run a balancer for the lipo, Orion dont seem to recomend one, and I charge at 3.2amps, Lipos have to charge at the capacity of the battery or less to prevent damage, so for a 4800mah pack you would charge at up to 4.8amps and for a 1800mah pack charge at up to 1.8amps.

btw nice track, wish we had a good indoor track here.

tp
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #3197
Tech Adept
 
minimanintaiwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by defMondo
The wiring is all hidden in the chassis, when I can be bothered doing it I like it better that way, I dont like seeing lots of wire hanging out everywhere.

I'll try to draw a wiring diagram tonight, if I have time (packing for a trip). But basically it's wired as normal, the only difference is that I'm using the Novak Smart Stop (NSS) 2 cell version, which prevents discharging the lipo to far so it wont burst into flames .

I have wired the NSS to the battery inputs on the ESC and then using double sided tape stuck it on top of the ESC. The cable from the ESC that normaly plugs to the receiver is plugged into the NSS and the wired from the NSS plugs in to the throttle output on the receiver. Prety straight forward.

I dont run a balancer for the lipo, Orion dont seem to recomend one, and I charge at 3.2amps, Lipos have to charge at the capacity of the battery or less to prevent damage, so for a 4800mah pack you would charge at up to 4.8amps and for a 1800mah pack charge at up to 1.8amps.

btw nice track, wish we had a good indoor track here.

tp
Ok. thanks guys. Do you protect the pack at all with any reinforced tape or something to keep that cool carbon look shiny?
minimanintaiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #3198
Tech Addict
 
defMondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Ok. thanks guys. Do you protect the pack at all with any reinforced tape or something to keep that cool carbon look shiny?
I haven't done anything to protect the battery the only place it's gotten marked so far is where the battery rests on the chassis, so there are some scrape marks from the battery rubbing on the chassis, but I dont think you can do anything about it because it's a snug fit in the mini, any tape would make it difficult to put the battery in.

I do use a rubber band on each side of the battery to hold it to the battery supports,we all do this here to stop the battery sliding out during "racing incidents".

tp
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #3199
Tech Elite
 
J.Gonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: connecticut
Posts: 2,409
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default trf shocks

I am new to mini and I was going to install some trf shocks.

What is the general starting setup.

Overall length?

Amount of internal limiters?

Shock oil front front and rear?

Springs front and rear?

I tried to search it but I couldnt find what I was looking for.

Thanks

Jamie
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #3200
Tech Fanatic
 
muahdib4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raymore
Posts: 863
Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna555
I am new to mini and I was going to install some trf shocks.

What is the general starting setup.

Overall length?

Amount of internal limiters?

Shock oil front front and rear?

Springs front and rear?

I tried to search it but I couldnt find what I was looking for.

Thanks

Jamie
Height, I have mine so there is just barely room to get the spring retainer on and I'm going to get the 1mm down spring retainer so I can get a little lower.

Shock oil, I currently use the same that I do in my TA05 and that's 60 front and 40 rear.

Springs, I'm using white front and I'm torn between yellow and red in the rear. All of them are the short tuned tamiya type.
__________________
KCRC - Kansas City Remote Crawlers
Team Chucklenuts Racing
Midwest R/C Rally Confederation
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #3201
Tech Regular
 
flying G.E.O.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Flight Academy
Posts: 404
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimanintaiwan
Just got my Team Orion Carbon Lipo 3200 pack! Will run it in my mini very soon. Thanks tony/rc-mini for the setup info. Looking forward to that extra jump/speed/runtime! just wondering if you could show a picture of how you wired it up. Looks like all your wiring is in the chassis and the pics on rc-mini don't really show much detail. Do you also run a balancer between your charger and pack? How many amps are you charging with? Thanks!!

Checkout taipei's 1st indoor rc track. It's short and winding; just perfect for the mini!
Nice track. The other pics are small. Mr. Black mentioned that its possible to charge 3200 lipo at 4amps. Its just too slow at 3.2amps so the waiting period is really long. You need 2 packs atleast.
__________________
www.3dgallery.co.nr
flying G.E.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:55 AM   #3202
Tech Adept
 
minimanintaiwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
Nice track. The other pics are small. Mr. Black mentioned that its possible to charge 3200 lipo at 4amps. Its just too slow at 3.2amps so the waiting period is really long. You need 2 packs atleast.
try their site for better pics: scroll down half way.
http://www.shop2000.com.tw/23T/

I read that over time charging at higher amps reduces battery life.
minimanintaiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #3203
Tech Fanatic
 
xrayroooahhhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CALGARY
Posts: 792
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Bodies??????

defMondo or tony gray have links to rc-mini.net.......on that site it has a list of several different bodies that will work on the M03 chasis. Could someone tell me if there is anyone carrying these bodies in Canada/USA or a link to where I can order these??? Also on that web-site it says HPI rims and X tread tires work well........is any body/tire allowed at Tamiya races or is there a aproved list??? Thanks guys!


Roy
__________________
-ROOH RACING-
www.donerite.net
xrayroooahhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #3204
Tech Fanatic
 
muahdib4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raymore
Posts: 863
Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
defMondo or tony gray have links to rc-mini.net.......on that site it has a list of several different bodies that will work on the M03 chasis. Could someone tell me if there is anyone carrying these bodies in Canada/USA or a link to where I can order these??? Also on that web-site it says HPI rims and X tread tires work well........is any body/tire allowed at Tamiya races or is there a aproved list??? Thanks guys!


Roy
At Tamiya Races, only Tamiya bodies and Tamiya wheels and tires are allowed. Check out Tamiyas website for what they offer...I prefer the standard, old school Mini Cooper body and S-Grip 60D tires in front with M-Grip 60D tires on the rear.
__________________
KCRC - Kansas City Remote Crawlers
Team Chucklenuts Racing
Midwest R/C Rally Confederation
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #3205
Tech Initiate
 
djgoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
Default 2 much tire spin

Hello all Mini Racers!!!!
Iím new to this forum and spended lot of time learning from your tips,
I race M03 in a club here in Mexico that only allows Tires(tamiya, hpi, ride rp), mostly there were 2 racers qualifying on a certain lap, about 8 of us one lap behind and 12 to 15 more racers a couple of laps behind then the rest of the field about 15 more racers, the races where very competitive and no boarder line illegal issues until now.
Since a couple of months one of the top guys has been qualifying (5min hits) 3 more laps than the rest of the field and wining the A main (20 min) by more than 5 laps.
Iíve noticed he lowered the ride height, but he sling shots out of the curves in a way no one of us has been able to emulate,
M03`s have a tendency to spin the tires on acceleration HOW DO I CURE THIS?? (tire incerts, diff, dogbones, ride height)
djgoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #3206
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

He has locked or semi locked the diff. Means that both wheels are powering out of a corner on acceleration. easy to do, easy to tech. Ive got a TA03 ball diff in mine and its tight, so i get great acceleration out of corners with my M03L. HTH
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #3207
Tech Fanatic
 
muahdib4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raymore
Posts: 863
Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgoku
Hello all Mini Racers!!!!
Iím new to this forum and spended lot of time learning from your tips,
I race M03 in a club here in Mexico that only allows Tires(tamiya, hpi, ride rp), mostly there were 2 racers qualifying on a certain lap, about 8 of us one lap behind and 12 to 15 more racers a couple of laps behind then the rest of the field about 15 more racers, the races where very competitive and no boarder line illegal issues until now.
Since a couple of months one of the top guys has been qualifying (5min hits) 3 more laps than the rest of the field and wining the A main (20 min) by more than 5 laps.
Iíve noticed he lowered the ride height, but he sling shots out of the curves in a way no one of us has been able to emulate,
M03`s have a tendency to spin the tires on acceleration HOW DO I CURE THIS?? (tire incerts, diff, dogbones, ride height)
You do want to keep the ride height as low as possible and use good stiff Tamiya white or blue springs up front. Are you currently running any stabilizers up front? Use a lighter spring in the rear and I don't run any stabilizers out back either. As for inserts, we've been using HPI 26mm soft inserts which stiffen up the sidewall of the tire and keep it from flexing which in turn helps with traction roll. It also could be that the guy winning is just a really good driver. I get beat by guys running the exact same setup I am by a couple laps. They just outdrive me...they actually turn in lap times almost as good as our Stock Sedan guys.
__________________
KCRC - Kansas City Remote Crawlers
Team Chucklenuts Racing
Midwest R/C Rally Confederation
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #3208
Tech Elite
 
Customworksking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Springfield ILLINOIS
Posts: 3,535
Trader Rating: 69 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgoku
Hello all Mini Racers!!!!
Iím new to this forum and spended lot of time learning from your tips,
I race M03 in a club here in Mexico that only allows Tires(tamiya, hpi, ride rp), mostly there were 2 racers qualifying on a certain lap, about 8 of us one lap behind and 12 to 15 more racers a couple of laps behind then the rest of the field about 15 more racers, the races where very competitive and no boarder line illegal issues until now.
Since a couple of months one of the top guys has been qualifying (5min hits) 3 more laps than the rest of the field and wining the A main (20 min) by more than 5 laps.
Iíve noticed he lowered the ride height, but he sling shots out of the curves in a way no one of us has been able to emulate,
M03`s have a tendency to spin the tires on acceleration HOW DO I CURE THIS?? (tire incerts, diff, dogbones, ride height)
I run the stock gear diff and shim it tight with 5 shims 3 on 1 side and 2 on the other and it's allmost like a spool very little diff action the car ripps off the conner!!!
__________________
Team Xray | RC America| Hudy |Jaco |AKA
Customworksking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #3209
Registered User
 
Bodywerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontaio Canada
Posts: 34
Send a message via MSN to Bodywerx
Default

What kind of shims are you using?
Bodywerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #3210
Tech Elite
 
Customworksking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Springfield ILLINOIS
Posts: 3,535
Trader Rating: 69 (99%+)
Red face ????????<<<<<>>>>>>>>

the kit comes with a few u will need to for some more zi'm sure someone here knows how to get more....
__________________
Team Xray | RC America| Hudy |Jaco |AKA
Customworksking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
gigaplex
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:05 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0