R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #2971
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
This year My (the winning M04M) car at the North American TCS finals did not like the gear diff. it was much smoother through the corner with a ball diff, I also noticed the car was inconcistant with the gear diff.

I raced my M04 this evening on carpet and the car totally changed from one qualifier to the next and I was wondering if it's because I run a gear diff. In the first race, the car was pushing quite badly.
The set-up was:
TRF shocks all around with 2 hole pistons and 50 weight oil (2mm spacers inside)
Rear springs were Short Yellows
Front springs were Mugen Sekei Purple springs (stiffer than Tamiya Blue)
Kit tyres all around except I put the s-grips on front to try and get more steering. Full traction compound rear, inside half front.

I was actually thinking of going to a softer spring in the front as it was pushing so badly. Instead I tried full compound on the front. Next thing I know, the car starts traction rolling and turning in too much. I put it down to the full compound on front as halfway through the race, the car settled down and drove nicely, so I went back to half compound. The next race the car was slightly better but still borderline (I actually ran the fastest lap of the night in this qualifier after it settled down again).

In the final, I went 1/4 compound on the front and prayed. The car was worse than ever and was crap through out the whole race. My best lap was over a second worse than my best lap of the night.

Now, normally I'd put it down to traction compound being left on the track but there was only 5 of us running and not everyone was running traction compound so I doubt we put enough down to affect the car that badly.

Could it be the gear diff? I doubt it but I'm lost as to why the car just suddenly changed from pushing to traction rolling. Personally I hope it stays as it is now as I think I can fix that. I just don't want the car to yo-yo from driving one way to another w/ very little set up change.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #2972
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (99%+)
Default roll

ever try glueing the side walls?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #2973
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
I raced my M04 this evening on carpet and the car totally changed from one qualifier to the next and I was wondering if it's because I run a gear diff. In the first race, the car was pushing quite badly.
The set-up was:
TRF shocks all around with 2 hole pistons and 50 weight oil (2mm spacers inside)
Rear springs were Short Yellows
Front springs were Mugen Sekei Purple springs (stiffer than Tamiya Blue)
Kit tyres all around except I put the s-grips on front to try and get more steering. Full traction compound rear, inside half front.

I was actually thinking of going to a softer spring in the front as it was pushing so badly. Instead I tried full compound on the front. Next thing I know, the car starts traction rolling and turning in too much. I put it down to the full compound on front as halfway through the race, the car settled down and drove nicely, so I went back to half compound. The next race the car was slightly better but still borderline (I actually ran the fastest lap of the night in this qualifier after it settled down again).

In the final, I went 1/4 compound on the front and prayed. The car was worse than ever and was crap through out the whole race. My best lap was over a second worse than my best lap of the night.

Now, normally I'd put it down to traction compound being left on the track but there was only 5 of us running and not everyone was running traction compound so I doubt we put enough down to affect the car that badly.

Could it be the gear diff? I doubt it but I'm lost as to why the car just suddenly changed from pushing to traction rolling. Personally I hope it stays as it is now as I think I can fix that. I just don't want the car to yo-yo from driving one way to another w/ very little set up change.
try adjusting the controllers end points to solve push while racing. check the shock oil up front they could be leaking and unequal amount. check shock lengths. im sure gear diff has nothing to do with it.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #2974
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 237 (100%+)

I was just comparing my Fiat Abarth body to the M04M chassis of my Alfa which is just a bit too long. The Fiat appears to have a 210mm wheelbase which matches the "classic" Mini. Is there such a thing as a M04, if so:

a) is it 210(ish) wheelbase?

b) what car(s) does it come with?

I'd really rather build the Fiat onto a more "modern" chassis than the M02.

Thanks,

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #2975
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdy
try adjusting the controllers end points to solve push while racing. check the shock oil up front they could be leaking and unequal amount. check shock lengths. im sure gear diff has nothing to do with it.
Shocks are not leaking and the shock length is very close to even all around as I remember checking that when I built the shocks. The shortest was 52.15mm and the longest was 52.3mm with the other two at 52.25mm.

I'm suspecting it's in the tyres as the rears have worn down on the insides due to having so much negative camber but I would have thought it would be the other way around. Loose at the back and then as the contact patch increased, the tyres would grip more and make the car start to push. I've ordered some HPI x-patterns as I've read that they are the best tyres for Minis. I'll see how they affect the car and go from there.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:50 AM   #2976
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default M04 Carpet

hi,

used to have inconsistency in carpet,,, turned out i neglected to clean the tires after each run,,,

tamiyarcracer,,, yep your right, ball diff is good on mo4,,, used them in Tamiya Asia Cup in Hong Kong a while back,,, but for tight asphalt course i like the gear diff,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #2977
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
I would Recomend it!
But then again what do I know. I didn't win The North American Finals twice or nothing! oops sorry. The sad part Is Japan wouldn't let me go over there and beat up on the Japanese in the Worlds event.
Why, have you been to Japan before with TCS? Did you whip up on them?
cartix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #2978
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
I would Recomend it!
But then again what do I know. I didn't win The North American Finals twice or nothing! oops sorry. The sad part Is Japan wouldn't let me go over there and beat up on the Japanese in the Worlds event.
Whats up with them making you run sedan in Japan Troy? They had a Mini/swift class but why only Japanese drivers?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #2979
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
I was just comparing my Fiat Abarth body to the M04M chassis of my Alfa which is just a bit too long. The Fiat appears to have a 210mm wheelbase which matches the "classic" Mini. Is there such a thing as a M04, if so:

a) is it 210(ish) wheelbase?

b) what car(s) does it come with?

I'd really rather build the Fiat onto a more "modern" chassis than the M02.

Thanks,

Scottrik
Scottrik there was no short 04 based car released If you got real creative with some arms you MIGHT be able to get there but I am ot sure even then if you could.

You coming over for TCS this year, since you now have the small car disease?

Racenut--The year I went buggy was Japan only. Not sure why but they have at least 1 class that is a National only class. They have usually run some type of enduro or GP also with the event. It was F1 Enduro in '02 this year was Sedan I think the last 2-3 for that matter.

Carpet and the M04-- I found that the worse the tier the better grip got. sounds funny but it was the reality. From what I could figure out was the tire bit and then released this is what caused the instability. Talking to Weir and a few of the others they found similar results. I know insert is a big part of it on the carpet also. When I ran the car in Japan I put an A on the front and a M-grip on the rear and had to deal with a light push. Makes sense huh....
Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #2980
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Tomoyuki

Quote:
There is something I know someone is working on.

http://home.comcast.net/~ewippler/new.html
cool! Do u make it for the M04M chassis?
Tomoyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #2981
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Tomoyuki

So i have a afew questions for my M04M. I have had the alfa kit for about a year but has not started assembling yet. In fact i bought the kit jux cox it has a 225mm wheelbase so it can run Civic Ek body shells damn it. The body look so jdm-tyte, yo.

So, i have been hoarding some hop ups and i want to build it once and for all. not put in something and then take it apart to replace it with some hop up.

Sorry if this is the umpteenth time someone is asking this ok.. so here goes...

1. Which is more impt in an M04M? The gear diff or TA03 ball diff?
2. Should i go wif TRF or CVA shocks?
3. Do i need universals or will lightweight dogbones suffice?
4. which are the better ball ends to buy?
5. Are there any lighter suspension shafts than the TL-01 ones?
6. Do i really need 2 deg rear toe in hubs?
7. The new M03M has a front suspension setup of sorts and I heard its better. What does it help do and can it be fitted on the M04M?
Tomoyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #2982
Tech Elite

1. ball diff?
2. personally TRF
3. personally Uni's
4. The aluminum with the threaded ends
5. Nope
6. Yep
7. It is lighter which helps keep the wheel planted better to the surface. The geometry is also revised which helps the car in cornering. If you are bashing with it go with the original if you are racing get the new parts
Old 01-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #2983
Tech Adept

Default 3PK Super

just picked up a 3PK super. was wondering what setups you use with it when running a mini(m03m) . We race on asphalt. Particularly steering and throttle set ups. We get a bit of wheel spin on our surface. I know there's a function which curves the throttle but was wondering what your guy's experiences are.
minimanintaiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #2984
Tech Adept

I have decided on my final order for my new tcs gear and need to know the following before it gets here.

I need a tire setup for indoor carpet, I ordered 4 tpye a's, and 4 super slicks, and also have 4 stock tires from the m03m kit. I have both soft and hard inserts, what should I use for indoor carpet? People have suggested type s in fron and type a in rear, all with hard insert. Also type a all around with hard insert in front and soft in rear.

I also need a setup for outdoor. I have the same tires to choose from (but can still order more if necessary), people have suggested S type all around with hard insert.

Thanks,

Carthik
SeaKayCarthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #2985
Tech Adept

Sorry one more question. I ordered mini CVA oil shocks, do they come with enough o rings to lower the chassis (shorten the shock)? Or should I order some more O rings, if so, what size? anyone have part numbers, how many will I need?

Carthik
SeaKayCarthik is offline   Reply With Quote