Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Hey all, just have a few TCS "legality" questions for the M03M....

Are the following legal?

1. Motor Fan
2. Shims/Spacers under ball stud for steering
3. Clip on heat sink for motor
4. Wheel spacers

Also, I cut a tiny hole in the top of the chassis to run the servo wire through, hope that didn't screw me?

Lastly a question: Does Tamiya make a cross-over part that could be used in place of the kit rear axles to allow a 6mm+ spacer? I was thinking maybe a a different axle might work as I think there is room behind for a regular axle??

Thanks Much!

Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tony gray
Hi Glenn,

Sydney has a lot of shops where you can get Tamiya stuff and other related Mini gear (Check out Racing Lines Mag for some addresses etc) but I'd be lying if I said that our stuff was purchased locally.

We get most of our mini gear from Rainbow Ten , rc-champ ([email protected]) or rc-mart . It just depends who's got what we want at the time.

The Sports Sedan body? I assume you're talking about the Chevron Monster M body. Sadly no-one has them at the moment. They're rather hard to come by.

Thanks for the info guys, Ill go looking.
Has anyone tried to make there own vacuum forming setup to make there own bodies? If not I might give it go, but the only thing that I would need to get is the polycarbonate sheet, any ideas?

Glenn
Old 01-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FreqETag

Are the following legal?

1. Motor Fan
4. Wheel spacers

Also, I cut a tiny hole in the top of the chassis to run the servo wire through, hope that didn't screw me?

Lastly a question: Does Tamiya make a cross-over part that could be used in place of the kit rear axles to allow a 6mm+ spacer? I was thinking maybe a a different axle might work as I think there is room behind for a regular axle??

Thanks Much!

Again as posted about a page back.TCS here in the states when it comes to regional races is a little lax, some times you'll get a good tech person, and sometimes you won't.
So on the steering Bump steer is not an issue you will notice much of. I would say that it is not allowed.
Motor fan is not really needed as you are syck with gearing,and a 5 minute race doesn't get too hot. If you want to run it you can.
Heat sink, again extra weight, not needed to help motor. needs to be a tamiya heatsink.
6mm wheel hexes should fit without anny issue, and even 1mm wheel spacer can be added with out an issue. there was a hop up that gave you wheel spacers and a thin nut that would allow even another 1mm spacer.
As for the hole, if it is for wires I would say not an issue, but again check with you TCS host and verify for sure.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Was this body ever released in the 'States?

Old 01-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
6mm wheel hexes should fit without any issue, and even 1mm wheel spacer can be added with out an issue. there was a hop up that gave you wheel spacers and a thin nut that would allow even another 1mm spacer.
As for the hole, if it is for wires I would say not an issue, but again check with you TCS host and verify for sure.
Personally I think spacers are a good idea... they ad some rear end stability and for bodies like the Suzuki, they allow the rear wheels to be more flush with the body... IMO, the rear wheels on the 'Zuki are way too far in the wheel wells... I'm an ex-editor for an import car magazine and if a car came to us with the wheel arches that far away from the wheels we wouldn't allow it in the book...LOL
Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default car

Are the following legal?

1. Motor Fan
4. Wheel spacers

Thanks Much!

as Tamiya racer said U want to keep the car as light as u can motor heat has never been an issue, bump steer if u shim your shocks right u will have very little ,wheel hex I found with my touring car with the rear wide it has less bite than narrow so, I plan to try 4mm wheel hex on the rear and 6mm frt just to see how the car rotates in and out of turns..I will post what I find 2mar
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by akura2
Was this body ever released in the 'States?....
Yes it was. Mid 90's I think. A friend has one still new.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I forgot to ask if anyone would care to share a pic of their steering setup?

Not sure what the best servo saver to use and how to set that up for minimum bump steer.

Again, thanks!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Yes it was. Mid 90's I think. A friend has one still new.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I forgot to ask if anyone would care to share a pic of their steering setup?

Not sure what the best servo saver to use and how to set that up for minimum bump steer.

Again, thanks!
Racers edge makes a great one if you want something similar in length to the stock unit.

I have always used the Tamiya hop up servo saver, and seems fine for the car.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

And...a New Years gift from Team Atlas.

The new Atlas Beat with Civic Concept R body

Its on rc-mini now.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
I'm guessing you're using the quick release battery holder. You can't. Put one of the stock plastic body pin type ones on the side where the wires are. You'll have to trim the area where the holder makes a 90 degree bend to give the battery more length room.
If you're having rolling over problems using the Lipo its because the battery is too light. The minis need the extra weight to keep it stable.
Thanks. I'll try it out. Right now I just bent the connector so it wont scrape the floor. I'll have to find that old plastic battery holder I think I threw it out.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tony gray
And...a New Years gift from Team Atlas.

The new Atlas Beat with Civic Concept R body

Its on rc-mini now.

Tony isn't this like the belt drive ABC car? Or isn't this THE belt drive ABC car?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

The new Swift, ready to roll. Came out quite nice. Let us all pray for LiPo legality at TCS
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-freq_e_swift.jpg  
Old 01-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Check out this Mini

This is complement of our good buddy Wes Wood, from down south where they listen to funny music and ride bulls that aren't too happy.

Wes brought this Green Slug Bug to Trackside to compete in the Mini class at the Novak Tour Car Championships. It was the hit of the race and worked suprisingly well. Now he has us all thinking about what else we can do with Mini's; I can see a whole class of Minis with stuff animal bodies.

Nice Job Wes
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-_mg_0121-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-04-2007, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Ahh the Northcraft Caterpillar body... Easily the silliest bodyshell ever!

I've got one but have never got around to painting it. Good on you Wes for being brave/silly enough to run it!

Here's a pic of another one.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

holy crap its nekobusu. what a crazy body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.