Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-11-2016, 12:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
The mount is homemade from a piece of a front suspension mount from an Ofna Ultra MBX that I had lying around. Didn't take long to make. (may fall foul of the TCS rules or are fans and their mounts free)

I got this for the princely sum of $12.60.
I've made mounts for a few things using bits of lexan. You want it to be a little heavier gauge, so the roof section from off road cars or sheets you buy at your hobby shop are best.

Where did you find this bargain?
Old 03-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

only rule about fans is that there is a limit of two (2) fans that can be used in the vehicle. and i believe there a size restraint (30mm max)

other than that you can use any brand and use any type/brand of fan mount (home made included).
Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've made mounts for a few things using bits of lexan. You want it to be a little heavier gauge, so the roof section from off road cars or sheets you buy at your hobby shop are best.

yeah, but I am trying to mount my fan at an angle directed towards the endbell of the motor. I may have a bent piece of lexan that will work ...project for this weekend.

only rule about fans is that there is a limit of two (2) fans that can be used in the vehicle. and i believe there a size restraint (30mm max)

other than that you can use any brand and use any type/brand of fan mount (home made included).
Great info! thanks OSherman!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Hey does anyone know when the M05VII "R" will be available? I saw that some places in the UK are selling it.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex
You're talking about kit 84424 M-05 Ver.II R right? I didn't think it was out yet. I don't see why it wouldn't support building the 3 different lengths.
I was pretty surprised to see it in stock at the local authorised tamiya distributor

it would have been cheaper if I was willing to wait 1-2 weeks for it to arrive from elsewhere or from another shop

I bought the newly released CC01 pajero custom low rider black

Originally Posted by eR1c
Hey does anyone know when the M05VII "R" will be available? I saw that some places in the UK are selling it.
it's stocked at retail shops in singapore

maybe I should do an unboxing video
Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Hey Dan, great info!! BTW where is Spec-R located? Is this a Chinese company? I have no idea. Regardless, please keep me posted on the pricing and availability.

Any double deck CF m-chassis (especially 4WD), please keep me posted. You guys know I have a thing for CF m-chassis.
I expect no less from modern RC companies.
Yeah, Spec R is either a Chinese or Taiwanese company. They make affordable kits with "reasonable" quality. But not sure how it will compare to TOP quality. Price should be pretty affordable($140-160 USD range??)

I like the steering setup and motor mount setup over the Sabre.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing

I was from those very nice people at Banzai Hobby. But you needn't go looking for one there now, I was looking to buy 3 but they only had the one in stock.
This is RP-033 but there is a slightly smaller one available RP-031 which is slightly more than half the price of the larger one.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, Spec R is either a Chinese or Taiwanese company. They make affordable kits with "reasonable" quality. But not sure how it will compare to TOP quality. Price should be pretty affordable($140-160 USD range??)

I like the steering setup and motor mount setup over the Sabre.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, at that price I will get 2 kits again and keep one as spare. I'm excited. Please keep us (me?) posted!!
Old 03-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman

Are you aware of any special wiring rules, or just the size???
Old 03-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you can wire it however you like. must run off of the main battery. (can not have its own battery)
Old 03-13-2016, 11:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,

Need the advice of the experts.
Recently started RC again and bought a M-05 Version II Pro.
Currently running a standard diff with some additional putty in there. Problem is that this doesn't keep stable. Diff always becomes softer after a few runs.

I've noticed that quite a lot of M-chassis owners use a spool or high viscosity oil in their diff.
What are the advantages and disavantages on doing this.

Any recommendations.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

The stock diff is garbage.

Whether you put putty or hi-vis oil, it will just spin out. You can create a friction diff by adding washers, but that just stresses out the components and doesn't work as well as a proper hi-vis oil.
Getting a ball diff is a slight improvement, but you still have a lot of maintenance to contend with.

There are spools available which use trf 417 out-drives, though the general consensus is that the sealed gear diff with 500K is a good starting point.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
The stock diff is garbage.

Whether you put putty or hi-vis oil, it will just spin out. You can create a friction diff by adding washers, but that just stresses out the components and doesn't work as well as a proper hi-vis oil.
Getting a ball diff is a slight improvement, but you still have a lot of maintenance to contend with.

There are spools available which use trf 417 out-drives, though the general consensus is that the sealed gear diff with 500K is a good starting point.
Rarely do I disagree with you Chuck but the stock gear diff with an extra washer on each side of the diff internals is actually quite durable. I've had it in my friction damper mini now for 5 months racing almost every weekend and had only checked the 3 little screws that hold it together once and they were still pretty tight. The diff does seem to loosen up at the end of the run but that might just be due to the internals heating up. But it's fine again on my next run. Also, the diff is loose enough where I don't really have wear issues and I'm running stock dogbones.

Why not I'll also disagree with you on the ball diff maintenance. I've run it 5 years before and have never had to do any maintenance on it. It might be crunchy as hell but again, no maintenance and the car is still competitive.

But yes, the 3racing gear diff is da bomb with 500k. For guys who think they need more, I would suggest you might have a point and shoot driving style that expect the car to punch out of the corner as in my opinion it's faster to try a different line that can carry more corner speed around a corner and then accelerate and you find the 500k oil to be fine. Just my opinion.

Ivan
Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

I like the MR diff too.

I've not been very lucky with ball diffs. The bell washers wear out after a while and no further tightening the screw/nut helps. I don't use a very tight setting for my driving so it can last a while, but I too prefer gear (oil) diffs.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

I recently won the R-Car class at the Kamloops WCICS with a rusty/crunchy tamiya diff in my TA01 - but only because I wanted to prove a point.

It can be done, but it takes more skill and concentration than I am often willing to exert.

I'm not lazy. Just....biased.....towards enhancements, so that I may focus on other matters

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.