R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2005, 02:26 PM   #256
Tech Regular

it's a outdoor asphalt track.

quite technical.. but the straight is long enough to make a big difference if your top speed isn't high enough.
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #257
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default M-04M

Guys, I have a fully hopped up like new TCS ready M-04M Alfa at the for sale forum. It's a great deal, check it out. Thanks!

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...threadid=66253
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:52 PM   #258
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow15

quite technical.. but the straight is long enough to make a big difference if your top speed isn't high enough.
gotcha... might hafta refer this q to others, as i have really only run mine on carpet.

the Ms' and S's sound about right for asphalt, tho. if you are not rolling over, and you are looking for more traction, i would probably start by removing the swaybars... but i dont really know that much about setting up these FWD cars...

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 AM   #259
sup
Tech Addict

what are the advantages of the ta03 ball diff on the mini? am trying something out now: put 100,000wt oil in the gear diff (just a little coz the diff is not sealed). i dunno about results, but i think the car turns in quicker on power (not full throttle on power). have to test some more
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #260
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow15

M-grips front and S-grips rear is probably the best combination for albany. S-grips on the front is very hard to drive without the car flipping.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:46 AM   #261
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
M-grips front and S-grips rear is probably the best combination for albany. S-grips on the front is very hard to drive without the car flipping.
Thanks Trevor
Old 03-16-2005, 03:43 AM   #262
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi dudes, I am here to ask for some advice.
I ran an M04m for my country's AsiaCup qualifying.
The problem I encountered during the race is as follows:
When the track got real hot near noon time, my rear tyres started overheating really badly resulting in spinouts.
Ok so its my fault for choosing the tyre combi
Front :S grip
Rear : Type A

However, I have tested with numerous tyres and this has showed the best results. The other combis were just horrendous.
Maybe my setup is very wrong?

I use Trf shocks on the front and rear.

front 3 o ring 3 hole piston 600w red spring
rear 2 o ring 3 hole piston 400w yellow spring

My this setting only worked later in the evening during finals but it was all too late. I could only crawl from 9th to 5th due to the traffic.

BTW, the track is tarmac track and could easily heat up to 50 degrees celcius under afternoon sun.

Type B tyres cannot be acquired in my country.

Hence, what do you guys suggest?

The most ridiculous thing i discovered in that race was that most of the cars were M03 (other than me) and there were a couple of fellas that can match my car's acceleration and top speed.
I was on the highest gearing on an excellent condition Sport tuned. They were on the same motor too.

Gee... Really need feedback from you guys. Thanks

Last edited by Kail; 03-16-2005 at 04:00 AM.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

well, i am not very versed in setting up the 04, but im thinking that the oil in the rear shocks might be a little light.

the reason you probably slower top speed is the fact the type A slicks are shorter than the treaded M-grip and S-grip. if the MO3's were on those, that might account for the speed...

Difuser might have better input in the setup ideas, as he seems to be the one who has run the RWD car the most ....

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:48 AM   #264
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Haha then I will need some input from him.
Thanks a lot anyway dude.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry guys I had a late business meeting last night. You guys sure fired off alot of posts inbetween.

So back a few posts. Wes-- the 17T is definately not a match. When I won I did it with the 19t and 26mm tires on a 04L rollout is almost spot-on to a 21t 60d tire set-up.

As for tire grip from low to high
Kit radial
M-grip
S-grip
A-slick

For tire set-ups it is different between the 2 cars so these would be the best of all for an Asphalt surface.

M03, 03L--A-slick front w/24mm sedan insert AND kit foam, rear kit foam or 50D insert.
The A gives the most traction for any given surface outdoors, even in dusty situations. The reason for the 24mm insert is that you want the carcass stuffed full so that it will not roll in corner situations. The rear insert varies if the track has grip I use the kit foam it fills nicely. If loose then use the 50d as it is a smaller diameter and it has alot of airgap. This lets the rear move but traction is locked in.

M04M. 04L--S-grip front kit foam. Rear A-slick kit foam or 50D
Now as a heads up I have been running an A stuffed like a M03 up front with very positive results. Again you are trying to control the carcass shift like with an M03.

So on to the next few posts.......
Old 03-16-2005, 09:59 AM   #266
Tech Elite

Yellow15 sounds like it is a spec series this the silver springs? Even if the A's are slightly smaller in OD I would still take them for the technical infield. First lap or 2 might make it a bit hairy but the rollout is not enough to stress on. Corner speed will be alot better on the A's than any of the radials will give you.

Kail I would reduce your rear droop a touch 1 more o-ring. Also go to a stiffer insert in the S-grip. One of the problems as I see it with the radail construction is the square sidewall. When the car rolls it runs the tire up on the sidewall and in effect creates a skate that makes the tire go 1 of 2 directions, fold the sidewall or go back to the flat of the contact patch. The sidewall option = traction roll not a good thing. The stiffer insert is to support the sidewall more than it is to stiffen the contact patch. More to the droop side when I ran the 04L with unrestricted rear droop I was having traction roll issues. By limiting the rear droop I was able to drop 3 spring rates on the front of the car to regain good feeling steering.

So if I missed anything let me know.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:27 PM   #267
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Difuser
Now as a heads up I have been running an A stuffed like a M03 up front with very positive results. Again you are trying to control the carcass shift like with an M03.

what is carcass shift?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #268
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default Mini Help

Hello
I have only had my m03L for a short time and have not had a lot of time to drive it but this forum has opened up the help on tuning the car.

The "carcass" is the tire. The A slick to me reminds me of a Dragster rear tire. The side wall of this tire is soft like a drag racing slick. When you fill in the tire with all of the foam, that everyone has been saying to do, that takes the tire and stretches the tire out so do do not have the soft side wall. I hope this will help.
Dave
dragracer72nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #269
Tech Fanatic

Diffuser:

Happy to report the Mini's are doing well here in the Midwest. At the Novak race, Whippler ran away, but another guy from IL (Tommy Dale) will definitely be in the mix in CA if he can go for the Nationals. He took some of my suggestions (one of which you passed on to me) and has done well with them.

We just had a very good regional TCS. Triple A mains for all classes, a 2 day event. Another local guy (Steve Key) drove the races of his life in an M-04M and took the gold, beating out Tommy Dale.

Wanted to float an idea by you. What do you think would be the result of a rule change that would allow the M04M's to run a 20T pinion in CA for nationals? My thought is that it would just about balance out the M04M's and the M03s. While it is fun to see a lot of mini coopers, with the current rules it is almost a certainty that the M03 will be the chassis of most if not all the A main drivers. That long straight in CA just causes the 19T M04M to get toasted on the top end. While the 20T is not official on the M04M, we all know that a 20T (especially the hardened alum. one) will mesh find mounted in the 19T slot. Just a thought.

Finally, my chance to brag. Maybe in a couple years a Weir will again be on the podium in CA in Minis. My 13 year old son started racing with me weekly this fall, running my M03L and "forcing" me to run the M04M in club races. For a beginner, the M03 is definitely an easier drive. The week or so before our TCS, he asked to try my M04M for a run and LOVED it. Insisted on running the M04M rather than the M03L he had run for a couple months for our TCS. Guess it rather suits his driving style, as he qualified 6th and finished 5th in the triple A mains for our TCS (top rookie), in a very competitive field of minis. His M04M is set up with the double stuff trick on the front, using S grips with hard shaped insert plus a cut down sedan foam insert, M grips in the rear (we are on carpet, and the M's have more grip on carpet than the S's. A real b**** to glue up balanced, but no sidewall flex. Thing looks like a dang 1/12th scale through the chicanes!
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:21 PM   #270
Tech Fanatic

Wes

I see Diffuser answered your question on the M04 with 26mm tires (and gear limited to 17T). Just no match for an M03 with 21T on a long course like California or the way Memphis was two years ago (with that real looong straight). That said, we are bringing both the M04 and the M03 to Memphis with us this year for my son to run, he really likes the rear drive on our carpet track.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote