Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Actually I would be more interested in the M06 V2ProR idea.
I'll take the M03 with a rectangular battery holder and a rear mounted servo. Sort of an M05 with dumbed down steering. But it has to be in the glittery disco pants colours of that M06.

Yes, double deck CF for start!
We've been down this road before.

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm familiar with DCJ in touring cars with a spool but will DCJs make any real difference in a fwd with gear or ball diff?
A lot of guys are running with diffs that are hardly diffs these days. I'd imagine there's a difference.

Originally Posted by Raman
The M06 is definitely in need of some m chassis love. We're going on 3 years with no update. (I don't count the pumpkin low ride as an update) lol
If the M06 was a joke, the hard body Pumpkin Lowrider was the punchline.

Originally Posted by sakadachi
.. So, when is the M07 coming?
Thought I heard rumblings about it a few years ago. Heard stories. I think that turned into the MF01 thingy. The V2 update is big enough to carry the line for another 3 or 4 years.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

locked/tight diff does the same thing... (forces the outside wheel to drive harder)

therefore in todays world, the only real benefit would be tighter, smoother cornering... assuming you are already running a 'tight diff'
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I'll take the M03 with a rectangular battery holder and a rear mounted servo. Sort of an M05 with dumbed down steering. But it has to be in the glittery disco pants colours of that M06.
I don't know monkeyracing, the reason why the M03 is so fast is that it has a lot of weight in the front even if the servo is mounted high.

We've been down this road before.
Yep, because it's better. It is silly having to have to crack open the chassis in half just to get to the gearbox.

Originally Posted by OSherman
locked/tight diff does the same thing... (forces the outside wheel to drive harder)

therefore in todays world, the only real benefit would be tighter, smoother cornering... assuming you are already running a 'tight diff'
Sounds good, would suck if the V2R is slower than the regular V2 and M03's..
Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What would you expect the M03 with rear mounted servo to look like? It can't be a direct link, since the servo isn't in the right location. So you'd need some kind of bellcrank system. But then you're right back at the M05. About the only simplification you could do over the M05 would be to use a single bellcrank rather than a dual bellcrank.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by gigaplex
What would you expect the M03 with rear mounted servo to look like? It can't be a direct link, since the servo isn't in the right location. So you'd need some kind of bellcrank system. But then you're right back at the M05. About the only simplification you could do over the M05 would be to use a single bellcrank rather than a dual bellcrank.
Actually...a smart fellow in Japan already cracked this one. He used a single bellcrank from a 3Racing Sakura on an M05. Years before this, however, some other smartypants in Australia devised a similar setup for the M03. (Way more complicated than the M05 version) The thing about the M03 is the rear of the chassis was designed to hold a servo, just like the 05, except it was intended for use with a mechanical speed control. This explains a lot about the weird inclusions on the M03. I have more pics if you want to see them. I also have some pics of the 03 "steer from the rear" mod, if anyone's interested.

The fact the M03 was originally designed for use with a mechanical speed control and carried on essentially unchanged for however long it did, should tell us something about the lifecycle of Tamiya product. BTW, the only major revision in M03 history was when the C hubs and front uprights were revised to their current dimensions around 2007. The fact that the 05 was revised after only 6 years is positively earth shattering by Tamiya standards.

More pics of the 03. Wish I'd bought it when it was on eBay. http://s174.photobucket.com/user/mon...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by monkeyracing; 01-28-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Actually...a smart fellow in Japan already cracked this one. He used a single bellcrank from a 3Racing Sakura on an M05. Years before this, however, some other smartypants in Australia devised a similar setup for the M03. (Way more complicated than the M05 version) The thing about the M03 is the rear of the chassis was designed to hold a servo, just like the 05, except it was intended for use with a mechanical speed control. This explains a lot about the weird inclusions on the M03. I have more pics if you want to see them. I also have some pics of the 03 "steer from the rear" mod, if anyone's interested.

The fact the M03 was originally designed for use with a mechanical speed control and carried on essentially unchanged for however long it did, should tell us something about the lifecycle of Tamiya product. BTW, the only major revision in M03 history was when the C hubs and front uprights were revised to their current dimensions around 2007. The fact that the 05 was revised after only 6 years is positively earth shattering by Tamiya standards.

More pics of the 03. Wish I'd bought it when it was on eBay. http://s174.photobucket.com/user/mon...?sort=3&page=1
My M03 currently still has the mechanical speed control from when I bought it ~15 years ago, so the "inclusions" you mentioned aren't weird to me

I have seen pictures of an M03 with a rear steering servo modification, although I can't find a copy right now. They might be the ones you're referring to. I'd be interested to see the ones you've got to confirm.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

A single bellcrank makes me think of an Xray T1 steering system, which happens to be used on the T1M, which was the pinnacle of a double deck CF mini, which was already discussed.

The Atomic V2M is the closest thing to a TRF mini, which also happens to look like a TRF 417 that was head-shot by a shrinking ray gun. The short wheelbase will still make it more twitchy than a nervouse man taking a lie-detector test.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the current M06. I can actually pull faster laps with it, than in my M05. The 3racing gear diff basically transformed my M06 from a "toy" into a "racer". But it has no demolishon defense. If you don't know what that is, just put an F104 into a heat of FF/FWD sedans. The person driving the F104 will know what a lack of demolishon defense is, by the time that race is over.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by gigaplex
My M03 currently still has the mechanical speed control from when I bought it ~15 years ago, so the "inclusions" you mentioned aren't weird to me

I have seen pictures of an M03 with a rear steering servo modification, although I can't find a copy right now. They might be the ones you're referring to. I'd be interested to see the ones you've got to confirm.
They're probably the same ones. I archived RC-mini.net and one of the guys was kind enough to share some extra diagrams with me. I began to build the part a few years back, but life got in the way. Might be a good 3D printing project, now I think about it and prints have become so affordable.

Hang on - you've still got an M03 with an MSC? Weirdo!

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the current M06. I can actually pull faster laps with it, than in my M05. The 3racing gear diff basically transformed my M06 from a "toy" into a "racer".
I'm guessing you're running the diff with very light fluid in it?

I thought my 06 was okay, but when I compared it to my 04, the feel just wasn't there. That, the complexity of the gearbox and it's appetite for stock gear diff internals, really turned me off of the car. I've realized since that the combination of brushless torque and RWD is what was doing in the diffs.

I've been trying to set up a TA03 diff with ceramic balls in my 04. Can't seem to get the super silky action I'd need for it to work without slippage, so I'm trying a stock gear diff and turning down the punch on the ESC.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Tech Champion

Hang on - you've still got an M03 with an MSC? Weirdo!
It's from when I raced the box-stock rules back in NZ. Only changes allowed were a new battery plug and ball bearings, otherwise everything had to be out of the box, including the MSC and pogo spring holders. I haven't touched it in a long time, it's in storage at my parents. I'm still waiting for them to ship my RC gear over...
Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

I'm guessing you're running the diff with very light fluid in it?

I thought my 06 was okay, but when I compared it to my 04, the feel just wasn't there. That, the complexity of the gearbox and it's appetite for stock gear diff internals, really turned me off of the car. I've realized since that the combination of brushless torque and RWD is what was doing in the diffs.

I've been trying to set up a TA03 diff with ceramic balls in my 04. Can't seem to get the super silky action I'd need for it to work without slippage, so I'm trying a stock gear diff and turning down the punch on the ESC.
1K in the gear diff.
3racing 7.0 spring up front -35 wt & 3 hole piston
3racing 5.5 spring down back - 35 wt & 3 hole piston
Rear swaybar, none in front
S-grips all around, CA fronts as usual
HPI Miata body, or something of similar sexiness
Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAUCdasUZmU

show-n-tell
Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My wife bought me a new Tamiya Rover Mini body and side mirrors to replace the one my CupRacer thought was funny to crush into the basement pillar.

I think I'm going to give it a custom shade of blue to match my GF01.

I PDR'ed the crushed one back to shape, but it is torn at the bottom so now only good as a test mule body.

Anyone planning to get the new Spektrum 6ch radio? I might get one to replace my DX4S and start using it on my on-road cars.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
1K in the gear diff.
3racing 7.0 spring up front -35 wt & 3 hole piston
3racing 5.5 spring down back - 35 wt & 3 hole piston
Rear swaybar, none in front
S-grips all around, CA fronts as usual
HPI Miata body, or something of similar sexiness
+1 I really enjoy driving my M06. I raced it for 5 years on asphalt always did well, only reason, the limiting factor is always me. Last week I raced it for the first time on carpet. I arrived at race late and used my asphalt set up and struggled.. Not due to the car, I was just not used to the steering response and the radio was new so I could not figure out where the dual rate dial was. Round two, the only change I made was front sway bar and no sauce on front, with dual rate down to 58.

I was in 2nd place and I did not make the main because I broke an unusual piece from the rear of chassis that I did not have in my spares

I run a much stiffer set up than you.. With 60w all around and blue springs in back and yellow springs in front. I also run the M05 ball diff.. I've never serviced it once since I installed it. Still works perfect.

Tyres I run Shimizu 40 shore in front and 33 in rear with sweep inserts. Unless the class requires it or I'm on asphalt, then ill switch to m chassis s and m grip

As for updates: I'm running the V2 suspension arms. I'd like to see a V2 that has the updated chassis for droop adjustments. Otherwise I'd agree chassis doesn't need much else.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

the complexity of the gearbox and it's appetite for stock gear diff internals, really turned me off of the car. I've realized since that the combination of brushless torque and RWD is what was doing in the diffs.
What BL motor are you running?

Does the m05 ball diff fit in 04?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Raman
What BL motor are you running?

Does the m05 ball diff fit in 04?
Running a spec 2200kv motor. One of the HW 380 in a 540 size can't things. They're torquey little buggers. When combined with the weight transfer of rwd and the traction of carpet, those pot metal differential bits don't last
long.

The 04 uses the same, smaller bearing size as the 03. There are cheats to fit a newer diff, but I don't have a machine shop at my disposal to make it happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.