R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #2476
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray
I've got 2 or 3 weeks off soon, maybe I need to build an Evo5 and Pro4 Mini during that time....
You have the tools and the materials....
I think scroll saw and CFRP 2.5 - 3.00 mm will be nice.... Need to make upper deck, lower deck and shortened the central shaft drive...

Let us see when it finish ...

Good luck mate,
Cheers.
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #2477
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I've got 2 or 3 weeks off soon, maybe I need to build an Evo5 and Pro4 Mini during that time....
I saw a tt01 turned into a mini before but I forgot which website. But an evo5 and pro4 mini would be trick.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #2478
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
I saw a tt01 turned into a mini before but I forgot which website. But an evo5 and pro4 mini would be trick.
Plastic molded chassis it's a bit harder, need to cut somewhere from the orig. chassis. But carbon fibre chassis is easier ... You can make it on your own, just need some proper tools and the result is better.

If you find it, let us know the site of mini TT-01 ....
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #2479
Tech Elite

Here's a site with a tb01 mini as well as others. Don't laugh at the name.

Minis
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #2480
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotcarrod
Hi Guys
I am new to the Mini and will be racing (for fun) in the WCICS. They use TCS rules,Tamiya hop up's only, silver can motor, ect.

Can you help me with some tips? I have purchased bearings, ball diffs (both Manta and TAO3), 20 and 21T pinions, shock set # 53280 and the Hollow carbon gear shaft.
What more do I need?
I have the M-O4M Alfa Romeo and the M-O3 Mini Cooper. Is one better than the other?
Can I get a good set up for carpet for both?
What diff is better, Manta or TAO3?
What Tamiya tires and inserts should I buy?
What is the best way to run in the stock motor? Water dip? How long?

Sorry to be a pain! I know I could read 83 pages and get most of the info but I know Tamiya Guys are hardcore and will give me good advice!
Thanks
Rod

Wow! Tanks for all the help guys!

The only one to help was Stulec, with the diff!

Rod Littau
slotcarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #2481
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 238 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotcarrod
Never trust an expert! X is an unknown quantity and spert is a drip under pressure!
Uh...and the mystery is...?

Dude, it's not even like you have to go WAY back to see answers to these (and many other) questions. Senna listed tires and inserts, motor-dipping has been addressed within the last couple pages (and why bother if you're running "just for fun"?), which car is "better" is nothing but an opinion face-off, and the diff question was answered.

Ya got watcha paid for. More than, in fact. So maybe lose the attitude and read along for a few days. I pick up ideas every few days here just watching the banter.

Scottrik
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #2482
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

It's not a Mini, but we gave it pride of place on our front page anyway.

Check out the coolest TA05 in existence on rc-mini.net now...
tony gray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #2483
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

M Chassis tires..

Can anyone here list the tires for Tamiya M Chassis (MO3)??

I tried to find further info but nothing from Tamiya website. To little info. I need to know the shore. I play on outdoor asphalt surface. Maybe next year on carpet.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #2484
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Demon
M Chassis tires..

Can anyone here list the tires for Tamiya M Chassis (MO3)??

I tried to find further info but nothing from Tamiya website. To little info. I need to know the shore. I play on outdoor asphalt surface. Maybe next year on carpet.
Note that no one lists shore ratings for rubber tires. There are so many variable in rubber tire performance that shore info alone is meaning less. The numbers assigned to tires like Sorex, Pit and Take Off are often not shore ratings at all. They are just tire compound codes and they do not even mean that tires are harder or softer than a higher or lower number.

For example:

A CS27 is a little harder than an RP30. A Sorex 28R has more traction than a Pit 24.

Here is everything you need to know about Mini tires: http://www.rc-mini.net/MiniWeb1/M03_Race_4.html

I disagree with one point. The Take Off Mini RP's are the fastest tire period. The guys that race at Tamiya USA are starting to run them now. They run harder compounds (RP36 and RP40) than they do on the F103GT's or Sedan's (RP30 and RP36) to control traction rolling but they has a long time and have a ton of steering.

FYI, Take Off is working on molded Mini inserts and will have RP's available premounted on impact resistant nylon rims shortly thereafter
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #2485
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
It's not a Mini, but we gave it pride of place on our front page anyway.

Check out the coolest TA05 in existence on rc-mini.net now...
I can't believe you passed on the blue springs and bars?
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #2486
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
I disagree with one point. The Take Off Mini RP's are the fastest tire period. The guys that race at Tamiya USA are starting to run them now. They run harder compounds (RP36 and RP40) than they do on the F103GT's or Sedan's (RP30 and RP36) to control traction rolling but they has a long time and have a ton of steering.

FYI, Take Off is working on molded Mini inserts and will have RP's available premounted on impact resistant nylon rims shortly thereafter
Adrian, we have to be so so careful with our assessment of tyres. The problem is that with so many track and temperature variations all over the world the different tyres work very differently.
Here in Melbourne Australia the RP's just dont work, and we've experienced the same problem in other states in Aus. I actually threw 2 complete sets out they were so bad.
Yet we've tried them in Singapore and they work OK there... Sort of messes with your head a bit.

Oh Madjack...you cant see in the pics of the 05 but those springs are actually the ultra-rare limited edition milky blue colour (almost white)... Yes, check it out, it is for real.

Tony
tony gray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #2487

Send a message via MSN to Bodywerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconcg
My bad, I say the inserts after. They were included. I guess I will have to go buy some new tires if those ones aren't good then. The 60D radials, are they better? I heard that you didn't need compound with them, they worked fine as is. I will be using them on carpet.
You did not get the same kit I did then. Mine has the inserts, esc and the 6od radials. I think you got jip'd
Bodywerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #2488
Tech Champion

Quote:
Adrian, we have to be so so careful with our assessment of tyres. The problem is that with so many track and temperature variations all over the world the different tyres work very differently.
Here in Melbourne Australia the RP's just dont work, and we've experienced the same problem in other states in Aus. I actually threw 2 complete sets out they were so bad.
Yet we've tried them in Singapore and they work OK there... Sort of messes with your head a bit.

Oh Madjack...you cant see in the pics of the 05 but those springs are actually the ultra-rare limited edition milky blue colour (almost white)... Yes, check it out, it is for real.

Tony
Thats really weird. The climate in Australia is no diffrent than in many places here in the US. The only diffrence is maybe asphalt composition. We see places where Sorex is faster than Take Off and vice versa depending on the asphalt but neither tire is ever useless in any one place.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #2489
Tech Regular

Actually, (sorry to contradict Tony ) but when I tried them in Singapore the RP30's were just as traction roll inducing as they are in Melbourne - even one of the local mini guns - KC, couldn't get his RP30's to work either.
The only place I've got the RP30's to work was the indoor track at Windsor (near Sydney AUS), but even then, they didn't work as well for me as my Pit Shimizu hard compound. The thing I find strange is that Take Off manufacture RP, and I've found it very hard to set the car up to run on RP30's. Yet when I bolt on the "special" cut down Take Off 27's they work fine, the Take Off 27's worked really well in Singapore too, I thought the rubber would be similar ... I better take a trip over to the USA to investigate this phenomenon

Madjack - I'll install the blue bars tonight
Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #2490
Tech Champion

Ah...I get it now...Traction rolling...I thought you guys meant they had no traction or steering!

Have you guys tried the RP36 or RP40 mini tires yet. They are harder and should help manage the traction better.