Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

speaking of setups,
Sakadachi, I took your advice and did like the Tamiya manual suggested. I switched my shock setup on my M05V2 ...soft in front/medium in back. The car does seem to handle slightly better, it seems to roll w/ the corner a tad better. It handled well before, so any change may be in my head ...but we'll see how it does at my next race in a week and a half.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
= Norwegian ancestry
smart people indeed!

Originally Posted by eR1c
speaking of setups,
Sakadachi, I took your advice and did like the Tamiya manual suggested. I switched my shock setup on my M05V2 ...soft in front/medium in back. The car does seem to handle slightly better, it seems to roll w/ the corner a tad better. It handled well before, so any change may be in my head ...but we'll see how it does at my next race in a week and a half.
Sounds good, eR1c! Hope that gives you the edge that you wanted for 1st place. Trial and error is fun.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds good, eR1c! Hope that gives you the edge that you wanted for 1st place. Trial and error is fun.
Thanks! ...that is what I am working towards.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Thanks for the input everybody!

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Bargain hunter!
^^^ THIS! haha! I forgot, I do run Solar D770 servos in our 2wd 17.5 Blinky/Stock buggies. They're a bit noisy, but they certainly do the job! I will have to say that I LOVE my Futaba servos. The S9551 I consider a low profile servo (the D770 is similar size). The S9452 I consider a medium profile servo since it's not as stubby, but not as big as a standard servo like the JR Z590M.

On the other hand, the widely varying tracks and conditions might be the BEST reason to post setups....
Absolutely. I look forward to reading everyone's setups knowing full well there will be certain adjustments that may not be applicable to my situation. BUT other people's setups for their conditions does get my mind thinking about what I can do for my own.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

On the other hand, the widely varying tracks and conditions might be the BEST reason to post setups. We all probably have our favorites for the places where we normally race, but what about new, unknown tracks? That's when I like to hear other people's ideas, as they may be useful directly, or at least indirectly to get me looking at things from a different perspective.
You might be right Howard, but a recent experience increases my reluctance. As many know, I've had to take a "leave of absence" for about a year. I went out with my "race" M03 with the same set up etc, put the car down on the track, and it was undriveable. One of the worst cars it has been my misfortune to drive. It took the better part of two batteries and a borrowed set of tires to get a car you could drive around the track. The track surface had changed.

Tell me what your car is doing, what sort of track you run on, what tires, what set up, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to help. There are certain things that will make your car do certain things most of the time. This stuff I know, but exactly what set up will work for you, I don't. Some of the guys on this thread do, but I'm not one of them.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know Granpa. Might be an opportunity to get the V2 and start fresh?

I think you'll like the V2. Everything I didn't like about the M03 and M05 has been addressed and improved.
I still enjoy driving my M03 and M05, btw.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I don't know Granpa. Might be an opportunity to get the V2 and start fresh?

I think you'll like the V2. Everything I didn't like about the M03 and M05 has been addressed and improved.
I still enjoy driving my M03 and M05, btw.
In some ways some very sage advice, but not for the venue I frequent. Unfortunately, much to the consternation of those who jumped on the v2 bandwagon, the M03 still remains the car to beat. I think I'll just do a diff rebuild, experiment with shock oils and lengths and do the other normal stuff like ride height, toe out, roll bars, etc, etc.

Been at this game a long time so have accumulated a # of spare sets of shocks. I build different shocks and code them. The first # is the holes in the piston, the second is the rebound, the third is the length, the last is the oil. Thus if you see a 30 56 40, that's a shock with 3hole pistons, zero rebound, 56mm long, 40wt oil. I also write the # on the front and ear windows. Change shocks in 5 min or less, rebuild in 30 min or more. Worth it.

I have posted this before, but I don't believe that the vast majority of us can evaluate a set up by "feel" alone. For me the lap time is King, so unless you have a means of measuring lap times, you're just guessing. Many times I've made "changes" that felt faster, but were actually slower. I have a M05 that feels fast, drives great, but is slower than a slug----well maybe not a slug, it's 0.5 sec off my 03.

All the set up advice I give is centered on drivability. Most of the time I really don't know if it will make your car faster. Like my buddy Bensi Lopez says---I can tell you 98% of the stuff, the 2% is up to you.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
I have posted this before, but I don't believe that the vast majority of us can evaluate a set up by "feel" alone. For me the lap time is King, so unless you have a means of measuring lap times, you're just guessing. Many times I've made "changes" that felt faster, but were actually slower. I have a M05 that feels fast, drives great, but is slower than a slug----well maybe not a slug, it's 0.5 sec off my 03.
Bang on the money Bob. Just like full-size race teams - If you don't have the data, your 'it feels better' doesn't mean squat...

p.s. You're also right about the V2. it's no better/worse than an 03/05 and anyone that thinks so is deluding themselves. All it really is, is another option.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Granpa- V2 is not expensive. I suggest you get one and set it up to your liking (not just drive someone else's car) and decide for yourself what the V2 is really about for you. Until then, your comments is just talk. You should just try it. I think you'll like it. M03's are fun but they are a dated design. It's a waste to limit yourself to just the M03.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Up to p12 today. Slow progress, I know.

I guess after setting up this chassis, I will get the Gambado next.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tony gray
Bang on the money Bob. Just like full-size race teams - If you don't have the data, your 'it feels better' doesn't mean squat...

p.s. You're also right about the V2. it's no better/worse than an 03/05 and anyone that thinks so is deluding themselves. All it really is, is another option.
Come on now, I think it would be interesting for all of us to see Granpa's mastery at work on the V2. Might surprise us stomping all M03's... or not. Who knows until he tries! I don't care either way which chassis wins, but interesting to see what the result would be.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Whoa there friend, there are some people you don't argue with and Tony is one of them. There are a number of reasons for this. One is just out of plain ol' respect for his knowledge and for doing more to advance the Mini "cult" than anyone around. Finding rc-mini website was like finding JC would be to a devout Christian-------and I'm meaning no disrespect to anyone. Although I'm sure that will offend someone.

So, when he says I'm right, don't argue with him-----he's right. Tony is almost always right and in this instance i am in 100% accord

I also agree with you. If the pocket book can stand it, you should always have a car under development. Right now my pocket book has higher priorities than a v2 Mini. Tops on my list is a Murray Carter knife. I just threw that in to confuse the issue. WTF is a Murray Carter knife???????
Old 06-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Murray Carter when only best will do.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Olfa, so you never need worry about wrecking your good knife.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree with Bob, but then again I would wouldn't I...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.