Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eR1c
Keep in mind that it isn't as "cute" as the Tamiya version, ...it looks a little more aggressive to me w/ the front spoiler ...but if it has to be a mini then its worth checking out. I actually have the body (I think I still have it), ...so I can measure it and photograph to my Sabre 4wd body posts for you this evening if that helps you?
I run that shell, unfortunately it has been discontinued and is really hard to find now (well in the UK).
Old 06-09-2015, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BILKO1
I run that shell, unfortunately it has been discontinued and is really hard to find now (well in the UK).
Shucks! I was hoping someone could forward me a link.

I too searched yesterday but could not find a vendor with these HPI Rover bodies. I guess I will stick to my Tamiya bodies for now.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

I used to run that shell back in the day when I was racing every week and practicing 2-3 times a week. Main advantages were light weight and easy to paint. Significant advantages for a frequent racer.

Dislikes were that it was seemingly out of scale, fragile, and not as attractive in appearance as the Tamiya one.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Initiate

And it had an optional big roof wing.

If you want spoilers and wings (lots of), Team Bluegroove have a repop of the old Chevron Monster Mini.

And Montech also have a Mini, called Turbo Spidi. But it´s not as nice as the Tamiya Racing Mini Shell.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-mini.jpg  
Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Thank you for the ideas! Please keep it coming.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Mini body choice

Funny enough, I have just got the Montech shell for the longer skirts because I found the Tamiya SWB Mini body a bit tight and high on the M03 at the front, if running 60 D tyres up front. My Tamiya (Hot stuff below) wheel arches had paint removed as I was not keen to have the wrong way rake I see on so many other SWB Mini Bodies with the front lifted. So many of them look as if dragging their bums around the track.

The Tamiya LWB 2006 body, on the other hand, has a magic slammed look, even with 60D tyres up front.

The metallic finish silver Montech Mini use in their advert actually sold it to me, I personally prefer it to the Monster look, although it was a close choice. ;-)

Cheers
Dave

Originally Posted by Drachenschorsch
And it had an optional big roof wing.

If you want spoilers and wings (lots of), Team Bluegroove have a repop of the old Chevron Monster Mini.

And Montech also have a Mini, called Turbo Spidi. But it´s not as nice as the Tamiya Racing Mini Shell.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Where is the best place to buy the 'mini copper' shell. Or any other shell for that matter?

I have been using the Blitz GTI with good success but would like to change it up a bit.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

iti- I am the same way with the reverse rake. I like my Rovers Mini's to have a slight forward rake even if the chassis calls out a setup where there is minimal rake. Thanks for the ideas on the R56 MINI bodies. I might look at that route down the road. I chopped off the tail end of my M05 to fit the M01 body a while back... I may need to get a new chassis if I go this route. I'd like to keep my V2 at the 210mm wheel base.

filippimini - Unless I can find a super great deal, I usually buy from RCBoys on ebay.
RCBoy's price is usually around $25 + shipping ($9 if USA). The benefit of buying from RCBoys is that their stock is fresh. Like my old M01 body that cracked from a moderate impact into foam, old stock is brittle and flaky. My other bodies I painted in the last 7-8months do not crack easily like that, especially not when hitting foam. This is the same foam used inside hard transmitter cases.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Initiate

The metallic finish silver Montech Mini use in their advert actually sold it to me, I personally prefer it to the Monster look, although it was a close choice. ;-)
Somebody managed to put the chevron fenders to a tamiya mini body, I´ve seen pictures of the car on facebook (I must try to find them again).

It looked absolutly stunning.

My Montech body has quality issues: the lexan at the c-pillars was so thin it was already cracked.

Last edited by Drachenschorsch; 06-10-2015 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Must check spelling before hitting submit...
Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sorry/didn't realize it was discontinued. Leave it to HPI to discontinue something that people want ...(sorry if I am biased, just don't like HPI).
Old 06-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

got a question,

I noticed that our top racer was using a cooling fan on not only his esc but also the motor. He had it mounted off of the steering post nearest the motor, the fan sat diagonally above the end of the motor ..directed at the portion of the motor that protrudes from the chassis.

I figure that a cool motor will run stronger/faster, -right?
So, is it legal per TCS rules to run a fan on your motor? If so, I am guessing this would be good, yes? My motor temps are about 140-150 ...would I gain much from installing a fan on my motor as well? ...or would the extra 10grams of weight offset any reduction in motor temp?

I saw this and figured it could mount on the end of my motor:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...w#.VXidNDBVhBc

thoughts?
Old 06-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

got a question,

I noticed that our top racer was using a cooling fan on not only his esc but also the motor. He had it mounted off of the steering post nearest the motor, the fan sat diagonally above the end of the motor ..directed at the portion of the motor that protrudes from the chassis.

I figure that a cool motor will run stronger/faster, -right?
So, is it legal per TCS rules to run a fan on your motor? If so, I am guessing this would be good, yes? My motor temps are about 140-150 ...would I gain much from installing a fan on my motor as well? ...or would the extra 10grams of weight offset any reduction in motor temp?

I saw this and figured it could mount on the end of my motor:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...w#.VXidNDBVhBc

thoughts?
TCS rules say you can run 2 cooling fans total, one on each or two on either the ESC or motor.

General Rules:
32. Motor Fan Rule: The use of any manufacturer’s cooling fan is legal. However, the fan must be no larger than 1.5 in. by 1.5 in. and must run off of the receiver or direct from the main battery pack. It is ILLEGAL to have a secondary battery to power the fan. No more than 2 fans total are permitted in a vehicle. This includes the speed control fan.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone on here broken an M05 V2 chassis yet? mine did and there appears to be quite a few more on the M chassis facebook page.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

TCS rules say you can run 2 cooling fans total, one on each or two on either the ESC or motor.

General Rules:
32. Motor Fan Rule: The use of any manufacturer’s cooling fan is legal. However, the fan must be no larger than 1.5 in. by 1.5 in. and must run off of the receiver or direct from the main battery pack. It is ILLEGAL to have a secondary battery to power the fan. No more than 2 fans total are permitted in a vehicle. This includes the speed control fan.
WOW! -thanks!

hmm, ...will ponder whether it would help or just add weight. I am 5-6grams over the min weight ...which is perfect. I'll always pass tech, but am not carrying unnecessary weight.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

sorry/didn't realize it was discontinued. Leave it to HPI to discontinue something that people want ...(sorry if I am biased, just don't like HPI).
But you have to give it to Akira for his talent in designing some real cool chassis. And the offset hub system on the CupRacer is absolutely awesome.

BILK01- I read about the V2 chassis cracking at the bottom? Would it be possible to reinforce it with epoxy or something before cracking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.