Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 05-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Thanks to you guys, I was able to finish my work using the M01 tires and inserts. The inserts were thinner than the ones used on the M05's D60 tires so I was glad I waited for them. This is on my M05 running the narrower 12mm hex hubs.

Lowered to the point the tires are barely at the arches, no rubbing during the drive. I love the look. I took it out on a test drive on my basement track. The tires aren't bad as far as grip goes for spirited runs, not grippy like the 60D Supers of course, but I don't need that level of grip on this car. I just like watching it drive by.
I really love the looks of your Rover
Old 05-19-2015, 02:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Jim, prior to running the car make patterns of the suspension mounting X pieces. Those suckers break easily. Forget about the blasted droop screws in the rear and use shock length to control droop. Too many pieces to maneuver.
Are you talking about the shock towers? They do look weak, don't they? The car I'm getting doesn't have the updated suspension with droop screws, so no worries there. I think I just ran full length mini shocks last time. The RC-Mini review stated they used TC dampers. Guess we'll see where it goes.

Yeah and you could just about run any battery you wanted.
I'll just throw in the same 4200 shorties I use in my buggy and other minis. Great packs and very light.

Since they have adjustable gearing the Sonic, Thunder Power, Novak, and the Schuur motors should be useable. Also you could run the 55mm tires of which there is a wide selection.
Thanks to you, I've got a few choices in motor. The adjustable timing, along with my current collection of 55mm tires should allow me the leeway to give this thing some serious granny gears.

Also: Apologies for dragging the thread off topic. I got excited.

Also, also: I can't believe it took me this long to notice, but Tony and the rc-mini crew need a slap for the caption "Are we not men? We are Xevo!"

Last edited by monkeyracing; 05-19-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Tony needs a slap.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I must've missed the Xevo thing, they look awesome. Now to start looking for one, sounds like you've got an awfully lucky friend grandpa.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Thanks to you guys, I was able to finish my work using the M01 tires and inserts. The inserts were thinner than the ones used on the M05's D60 tires so I was glad I waited for them. This is on my M05 running the narrower 12mm hex hubs.

Lowered to the point the tires are barely at the arches, no rubbing during the drive. I love the look. I took it out on a test drive on my basement track. The tires aren't bad as far as grip goes for spirited runs, not grippy like the 60D Supers of course, but I don't need that level of grip on this car. I just like watching it drive by.

Wish I could find more M01 Rover bodies...
Looks awesome!! I've got a couple bodies to spray ahead of mine to get back in practice. It's been about 7 years since I painted a body and don't want to mess up my Rovers.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
I must've missed the Xevo thing, they look awesome. Now to start looking for one, sounds like you've got an awfully lucky friend grandpa.
Actually, I'm the lucky one cause he was the importer of that kit in the USA. I've raced with him for over 10 years so he gave me a lot of support in parts and advice. He also brought in a bunch of other stuff like Muchmore so I did buy a lot of stuff.

What's nice about the Xevo is that as long as you don't bugger up the alloy bits, you can fabricate the rest using the kit parts as a pattern. Simple, simple car that just works right.

A lot of manufacturers and importers are based here in SoCal, so you get to know and race with a lot of them. Tough crowd so you have to have your A game just so you're not embarrassed. And many times you are even with your A game.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Tough crowd so you have to have your A game just so you're not embarrassed.
Ain't that the truth! I'm pretty sure Fred Medel hates me. I've been bugging him to help out the race series here for years. I irritated Charlie Suangka with a lot of questions about spec motors 4 years ago. The Pro-Line guys have been remarkably tolerant with my questions, though.

On a semi-related note, Tamiya Canada have shown incredible restraint when answering my semi-annual emails for club support. They can't offer any help, but they're very nice about it.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Tamiya Canada is a joke. Don't get me started.....
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
Looks awesome!! I've got a couple bodies to spray ahead of mine to get back in practice. It's been about 7 years since I painted a body and don't want to mess up my Rovers.
Thanks! Sounds like fun. For the arches, grill, turn signals, and roof, I use a brush. Then spray the rest. At least for me, that goes much faster and cleaner. I use then 1/2" (?) blue painter's tape to mask where needed. Most of it is freehand though.

After I'm done with the brush painting, I let it cure at least 24 hrs before I mask the windows and spray.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InZane
I really love the looks of your Rover
Thanks, I appreciate Tamiya's hard work and dedication that allows us hobbiests to have these bodies.

I wish I could find more of these M01 bodies though.. I like it more than the current Rover bodies that do not come with the chrome bumpers and grill.

In fact, if anyone has unpainted M01 Rover Mini bodies with the chrome parts that they want to sell, please let me know.

Last edited by sakadachi; 05-19-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by patorz31
Tamiya Canada is a joke. Don't get me started.....
Come on now. They did send my club a few small, unpopular t-shirts and a tiny backpack in 2008.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing

Also, also: I can't believe it took me this long to notice, but Tony and the rc-mini crew need a slap for the caption "Are we not men? We are Xevo!"
Ummmm, blame Tim for that one Jim.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

I think I'm going to buy me a new Monte Carlo M05 and paint the body a street Rover Cooper theme with dark blue/white roof, white bonnet stripes that I always wanted. I would run it on my M05.

And keep the chassis unassembled until my kid is ready to buy his own M05, and sell him that with the current Rover Mini body and D60 tires. Not a bad idea...?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Unhappy

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Come on now. They did send my club a few small, unpopular t-shirts and a tiny backpack in 2008.
I actually got them to send me some door prizes for the Edmonton WCICS race 2 years ago. They sent me two cases of Tamiya spray paint. The non polycarbonate spray paint.......
Old 05-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by patorz31
I actually got them to send me some door prizes for the Edmonton WCICS race 2 years ago. They sent me two cases of Tamiya spray paint. The non polycarbonate spray paint.......
Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Out of curiosity, what happened to the Canadian TCS series? I remember the Canadians had a strong team at the TCS Nationals for years. One of them, won the trip to Japan in Mini a few years back.

Tamiya Canada supported their representatives at the Nationals pretty well. My understanding is that they got parts support and some aid with the expenses for the trip. Could be wrong on that tho.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.