Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Here's an idea for a diff that I knew was going to make a comeback someday. Torque converter!

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. Will it ever give full forward drive without slipping? Or is it an "Oozomatic"?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yup, you run super thick goop in it. (I'd pretty much just have to wring out my hair and I'd be good to go.) I can see advantages in it.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Considering how much oil diffs leak, I am not sure I want any more oil based diff variations.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Considering how much oil diffs leak, I am not sure I want any more oil based diff variations.
Same here. I'm just a sucker for the KISS diffs.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Tamiyausa Link for the Jimny, no pics yet..

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...mny-jb23-58614
Old 04-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
Tamiyausa Link for the Jimny, no pics yet..

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...mny-jb23-58614
Nice. Can't wait to see this!

In another note, I think I finally gotten use to the brushless motor driving!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

As it turns out, I do give a monkey's butt.

Also related, that's exactly how I stand when I'm not using my crutches.

Good god, I'm bored.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'm reassembling my M05 and have run into an annoying problem. When I put any tension whatsoever on the forward-most chassis screws (one up by the body mount, the other just behind and below the diff) there is binding in the driveline. Here's a rundown.

- This is the same chassis I've been running without problems.
- I've installed a rebuilt gear diff and it has an adequate amount of side to side play.
- The motor plate is the v.1. I'm testing to see if it runs any smoother than my v.2 when it gets warm.
- New bearings. Properly seated.

It seems as if the chassis is twisting very slightly when these screws are in place. Even the carbon shock tower seems to pull the chassis halves together just enough to create friction. I'm thinking about using a 0.3mm shim between the chassis halves. Opinions?
Old 04-29-2015, 04:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm reassembling my M05 and have run into an annoying problem. When I put any tension whatsoever on the forward-most chassis screws (one up by the body mount, the other just behind and below the diff) there is binding in the driveline. Here's a rundown.

- I've installed a rebuilt gear diff and it has an adequate amount of side to side play.
- The motor plate is the v.1. I'm testing to see if it runs any smoother than my v.2 when it gets warm.

It seems as if the chassis is twisting very slightly when these screws are in place. Even the carbon shock tower seems to pull the chassis halves together just enough to create friction. I'm thinking about using a 0.3mm shim between the chassis halves. Opinions?
Did it bind with the v2 plate? I'm wondering if the holes are slightly different and that plate tweaked the chassis?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Won't that create a problem mounting the shock towers????? I'm not a big fan of shimming much of anything on a Mini.

Out of curiosity, does the binding occur with a stock diff also?????

Unusual problem Jim. Never have seen it before.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Any place to race these around southern ohio?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

I'm pretty sure there is some differences (besides the offset) in the V.1 vs the V.2 motor mount where the gear shaft seat into it. That is probably why the V.2 also calls out for that spacer.

I would compare the 2 motor mounts side by side and see how the gear shafts seat in.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Swapped out the motor plate, same deal. Haven't tried the stock diff. I suppose that would be smart.

We've all dealt with this over the years by leaving the screws backed out half a turn. This is just a bit more bind than I'm used to seeing. Stuck a tiny shim in each spot and it loosened up nicely.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

got some practice racing in w/ my new M05 V2 conversion. WOW, -the new chassis does handle a lot nicer. The track was a low grip asphalt track, -so ran w/ Tamiya slicks up front and S-Grips on back ...wow, really handled like a dream. Tried both a shorty pack and longer/standard pack, I think I like the way the shorty pack felt better. -plus that gave me some weight savings so I could put extra weight where I wanted.

First race w/ the new chassis is this Sunday, -hope it proves as good as in practice. ...although it will be a higher grip track so not sure if i'll run the same tire setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.