Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rookie88
Made a post a while back about a t-shirt...
Sorry i couldn't get in on this. Had a few post-Xmas expenses pop up. M-05 remains cheap, but my buggy needed some love!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Has anyone come up with Ver.II setups involving droop yet? I've started adjusting things blindly. It's working so far.
I'm running with 3.5mm droop front and rear at the moment.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
I'm running with 3.5mm droop front and rear at the moment.
Hummmm
Sounds like my ex-wife
Old 01-06-2015, 12:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Nice catch!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys. Havent posted for a while but thought I would ask here.

Really enjoyed our first year racing the M05's. Considering me and my lad hadn't even used an RC car before we were chuffed to end the year in 4th and 5th respectively for the local league outdoor.

Anyhow we seem to have dropped right off the pace indoors. Our cars were fast outdoors but all we seem to be doing is fighting them indoors. I have raised the ride height on both cars. We have fitted mini pins which seems to be the choice tyre (Polished floor, village hall type thing).

I think I know the problem but want advice on the solution. I fitted 3 racing geared diffs to the 2 cars in the summer. Mine even got thicker oil to make it stiffer but in comparison to the stock diff our cars are way stiffer. This isn't going to be very good indoors.

So do I put thinner oil in both diffs? If so how thin?

Or do I just put the kit diff back in. It seems to work well enough last year.

Any other suggestions appreciated.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thelittlesthobo
Hi guys. Havent posted for a while but thought I would ask here.

Really enjoyed our first year racing the M05's. Considering me and my lad hadn't even used an RC car before we were chuffed to end the year in 4th and 5th respectively for the local league outdoor.

Anyhow we seem to have dropped right off the pace indoors. Our cars were fast outdoors but all we seem to be doing is fighting them indoors. I have raised the ride height on both cars. We have fitted mini pins which seems to be the choice tyre (Polished floor, village hall type thing).

I think I know the problem but want advice on the solution. I fitted 3 racing geared diffs to the 2 cars in the summer. Mine even got thicker oil to make it stiffer but in comparison to the stock diff our cars are way stiffer. This isn't going to be very good indoors.

So do I put thinner oil in both diffs? If so how thin?

Or do I just put the kit diff back in. It seems to work well enough last year.

Any other suggestions appreciated.
How are you fighting them? Sounds like a serious lack of traction to me... polished floors?

My MINI racing experience is all on indoor high grip carpet. The initial struggle on this surface is a car with too much entry steering and traction rolling issues. Eliminating rear droop and ensuring zero bump steer solves most guys initial issues. Never forget to CA your front tires side walls too.

As far as your diffs... I have run open diffs all the way to very thick oil filled.
In your situation I would think it 'safer' to run the stock open diff. With a lack of traction a thick oil filled diff could make your car a handful.

And also, ask the fast guys what they are doing. I should hope they would be very helpful getting you up to pace.

I hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wade....
How are you fighting them? Sounds like a serious lack of traction to me... polished floors?

My MINI racing experience is all on indoor high grip carpet. The initial struggle on this surface is a car with too much entry steering and traction rolling issues. Eliminating rear droop and ensuring zero bump steer solves most guys initial issues. Never forget to CA your front tires side walls too.

As far as your diffs... I have run open diffs all the way to very thick oil filled.
In your situation I would think it 'safer' to run the stock open diff. With a lack of traction a thick oil filled diff could make your car a handful.

And also, ask the fast guys what they are doing. I should hope they would be very helpful getting you up to pace.

I hope that helps.

Hobo
It does sound like a traction problem,
Are you spinning out ???
As for putting thinner oil in, I really wouldn't do it for an indoor track
you'll be stuck cleaning up the floor, big time!
I really would grab the ear of one or more of the faster drivers
and ask them test drive your car and ask them for suggestions
to improving its performance
Keep us informed & Good Luck
Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That just gives the car more character

Happy face outside, evil inside. I think I may have clipped the boards and/or the competition a few times.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Strongest wheels for racing?

After running two packs at the Floyd Bennett Field track on the coldest day this year (-6) I slammed into the boards and managed to shatter both front Tamiya re-inforced wheels.

I am sure the cold played a part in the brittleness of the plastic. So can anyone recommend a stronger wheel set. What does everyone race with?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-cracked-wheels.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-fbf-race-track.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-mini3.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 04:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The 11 spoke Swift wheels are tough as nails. At -6, however, it's still a gamble.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Tech Initiate

The 11 spoke Swift wheels are tough as nails. At -6, however, it's still a gamble.
Thank you, ordering now! I was looking at some spice wheels.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Dude that's cold! We race indoors in the winter for a reason! I'm cold just thinking about it.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Wade....
Dude that's cold! We race indoors in the winter for a reason! I'm cold just thinking about it.
It was ridiculous, but fun. This was my first day driving after a 25 year hiatus.

The track is on park property, so I can only assume free to use. Though someone really takes good care of it and I am sure it isn't the parks dept. Its also the only tack both indoors and outdoors that i can find in Brooklyn/New York.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Neils, check out the Brownies racing thread on here, the shop is over here in SI just a short hop
Over the Vz and he stocks everything for Tamiya and if he doesn't have it he can get it
We also race right on the beach at Midland Park during the summer
As well as go to a couple of tracks over in Jersey and just over the boarder in Pa
Pm me if you need any more info/help
Mike
Old 01-09-2015, 05:04 AM
Tech Champion

Smile

These rims are the best, but you'll need lots of CA glue on the sidewalks to make them slide on the walls rather than catching and breaking... FbF boards are also unforgiving......
Originally Posted by Neils74
After running two packs at the Floyd Bennett Field track on the coldest day this year (-6) I slammed into the boards and managed to shatter both front Tamiya re-inforced wheels.

I am sure the cold played a part in the brittleness of the plastic. So can anyone recommend a stronger wheel set. What does everyone race with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.