R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #22591
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,836
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Another option I remembered is a one way conversion. Anyone tried that? I used it on a TA02 chassis up front.
Hell yeah! Great steering, zero brakes, bit of a handful on power! Very eerie to slam on the brakes, hear the motor and gearbox stop dead, but car flies along silently anyway.
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #22592
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

Kantankerous barstard. Difficult to please you, eh?
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #22593
Tech Master
 
pullstarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Capital Hill
Posts: 1,475
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Hey Guys,
Just building my M05 V2 Pro set up in short wheelbase and have encountered a problem. I'm using the one piece rear arms but the droop screw attachment seems to interfere with the arms fitting up properly e.e. the droop screw attachment hits the bottom plate. Am I doing something wrong or can you not run the droop screw attachment in M05S setup?

Cheers
Simon
pullstarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #22594
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
What diff are you talking about? If it's the TA03 style, they're not meant to have anything that can leak inside because it will leak through the bearings. If you want a tight but not locked diff you can try AW grease from Tamiya or Moly grease for steering boxes/CV joints, it's the same stuff. Sticks like shit on a shovel and it's thick.

Using the original gear dif from the V2...think same as V1...
coolair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #22595
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolair View Post
Using the original gear dif from the V2...think same as V1...
My suggestion is buying one of these. Add 500k and forget it. I haven't rebuilt mine for years and it still performs perfectly. I have corner entry steering and good corner exit.
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #22596
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,836
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Kantankerous barstard. Difficult to please you, eh?
Yes.

Seriously, though, I love the one way diff on long sweeping tracks.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #22597
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post
My suggestion is buying one of these. Add 500k and forget it. I haven't rebuilt mine for years and it still performs perfectly. I have corner entry steering and good corner exit.
Are the gears plastic or metil on this dif.. ?packed full with the grease?
coolair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #22598
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolair View Post
Are the gears plastic or metil on this dif.. ?packed full with the grease?
Both the internal gears and the ring gear are plastic. No, I suggested packing with 500k silicone diff oil.
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #22599
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post
Both the internal gears and the ring gear are plastic. No, I suggested packing with 500k silicone diff oil.
all plastic gears for internal dif scares me a lil ... im running on a med grip carpet...
coolair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #22600
Tech Elite
 
jjmudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 2,396
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I am sure it is on one or more of the 1500 pages on this thread, but my search skills are apparently challenged. I am looking for setup tips and tricks for an M03 on carpet, for my son. Here is what I have:
1. M03 long, medium or short (can make any of these)
2. aluminum shocks
3. swaybars (variety of sizes for front and rear)
4. S Grips tires
5. aluminum steering knuckles
6. bearings for car (1 shield removed, cleaned/re lubed and installed)
7. carbon bearing shafts
8. ball dif or aftermarket dif filled with silly-putty
9. variety of springs

We have been running the car short, with the putty dif, but seem to have a lot of chatter through the corners. It could be his driving style is not as smooth as it could be. we are CA'ing the front tires one rib in and are running both front and rear bars. 5mm ride hight with Tamiya 30wt oil in the shocks and 3 hole pistons. We are not running any spacers in the shock body or on the outer lower shaft.

Any help would be appreciated.
jjmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #22601
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmudd View Post
I am sure it is on one or more of the 1500 pages on this thread, but my search skills are apparently challenged. I am looking for setup tips and tricks for an M03 on carpet, for my son. Here is what I have:
1. M03 long, medium or short (can make any of these)
2. aluminum shocks
3. swaybars (variety of sizes for front and rear)
4. S Grips tires
5. aluminum steering knuckles
6. bearings for car (1 shield removed, cleaned/re lubed and installed)
7. carbon bearing shafts
8. ball dif or aftermarket dif filled with silly-putty
9. variety of springs

We have been running the car short, with the putty dif, but seem to have a lot of chatter through the corners. It could be his driving style is not as smooth as it could be. we are CA'ing the front tires one rib in and are running both front and rear bars. 5mm ride hight with Tamiya 30wt oil in the shocks and 3 hole pistons. We are not running any spacers in the shock body or on the outer lower shaft.

Any help would be appreciated.
John id suggest this -

1. Medium (Civic is great)
2. Good. 35-40wt with 3 hole pistons. Set the droop length about 1-2mm max. If you need help on how to do this, PM me.
3. Hard Sway bar rear. No sway bar front.
4. Perfect.
5. Perfect Get the tamiya M03 alloy servo arm and saver also. Or the big Kimbrough saver with mods (its on here)
6. Perfect
7. Not a fan, I usually use the heavy steel ones.
8. Diff with putty is best for the 03. Have a built spare on hand with a few spare bearings incase the putty starts to leak. Its an easy swap on a 03
9. Run Tamiya red up front and blue or yellow out the back.

Add toe out - around 1-2mm. balance the car left to right. As for the CA, I only like enough to control the lifting on the fast corners. Any more and I find I loose too much grip everywhere else. Sounds like your chatter could be too much steering throw. Less CA will give you more grip, and putting the limiters under the shock pistons will help keep the chassis low so with more overall grip, hopefully u require less steering throw and that will lessen the chatter, but really, most chatter anyhow. Sauce the daylights out of the front, rears sauce later. Basically the opposite of TC.

If this setup is generating too much steering (you want a mini to be aggressive in the corners and for some that makes the car twitchy) go to a stiffer front spring.

Depending on how involved you want to get in mini, id suggest changing the chassis to an 05 sooner rather than later, add in a few 05 options and your set. Its a better road if your thinking of upgrading the 03. Biggest reason, you can use the 3 racing diff I mentioned earlier.

Hope that helps dude and welcome back to RC!
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #22602
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolair View Post
all plastic gears for internal dif scares me a lil ... im running on a med grip carpet...
Seriously its not a worry. We run torque BL motors, on high grip (well at the big races its high) and I've never seen one fail internally. As I mentioned I haven't even looked into mine for a very long time.
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #22603
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post
Seriously its not a worry. We run torque BL motors, on high grip (well at the big races its high) and I've never seen one fail internally. As I mentioned I haven't even looked into mine for a very long time.
Thanks
will give it a go,,,
coolair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #22604
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
Default Tamiya mini m05 v2

Anyone know what bearings r used on m05v2 thank you .
Sorted

Last edited by yok45@msn.com; 12-16-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Got answer
yok45@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #22605
Tech Elite
 
jjmudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 2,396
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Aaron. He is just starting out and we have 4 of the M03s. Not really looking at Mini seriously, but as a starter class for him and then as he improves a support class for the two of us. More stick time is always good. Hard to do when he is playing hockey and ski racing, but we are trying to get out a little. I have already bought an ARC 2013 for me for stock and am waiting on 2 Black Edition 2015's...one for him (stock) and one for me (mod).
jjmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:48 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0