Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
As some here still bother with taping the battery in the V2,
I thought I post some pics of our solution,
as nearly everyone in my class copied the idea of Michael, a race buddy of mine,
using M03 parts.
We use by spec 4000 Zippy Lipos, and are not allowed to charge outside a Lipo bag. So taping the battery was a fuzz, because many race the Mini besides the touring car, and everything has to go quick...
To stop wobbling, I covered the square hole with foamrear and downside, so the Zippy fits smooth in the chassis. M03 holders are cut by 1mm on the inside, depending on the battery used.
No damages to the connectors so far (4 race weekends).
Here some pics of my R5 turbo, which won me our first Mini championship this year on the last weekend...

Br,
Matthias
Thanks Ruebiracer, that is exactly the type of solution I'm looking for. Could you please point me to a link for those parts. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by filippimini
Thanks Ruebiracer, that is exactly the type of solution I'm looking for. Could you please point me to a link for those parts. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Cheers
Ryan
No problem Ryan,
glad that I could help you. Parts are the C-parts tree of the M03,
Tamiya 50793.

Br,
Matthias
Old 11-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome,

Such a simple and quick solution.

Ryan
Old 11-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all. Finally got my m03 back into running condition after replacing some rusted parts. I've run into a new issue since upgrading to LiPo. My car just will not connect to any surface I run it on. My TA03 runs fine on low pile carpet and tile, but the M03 is undrivable. I've calibrated the ESC (futaba MC201CB) and it still has this issue where anything over 25% throttle is just wheelspin and no movement. Is it possible that some ESC's for brushed motors are just unable to properly handle a LiPo pack's voltage? My Novak GT7 and Novak Cyclone don't seem to have any issue with the lipo. (I use low voltage alarms designed for RC aircraft in my vehicles and they've worked out so far. Nice and loud.)

Could this be a case of a mini that is too light because the Lipo packs are so much lighter than the NIMH packs I was running before?
Old 11-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Since I'm new to on-road I've got a few questions on my Esc / Motor setup.

Esc used is the Hobbyking HK-Sens-60, motor used is the Turnigy Trackstar 13.5T with adjustable timing.

First off I'm wondering whether or not to use drag brake.
For offroad I never used it, but I think it might be useful here.
Do you guys use drag brake (and if so, how much ?) ?

Then - the motor has adjustable timing (which afaik is fixed across all rpm's), the Esc has adjustable timing (Which if I'm correct is dynamic - the timing advances with the RPM's ?)
I figure setting the timing to high in the Esc would be good - or wouldn't it ?

Also, I happen to have a spare Hobbywing Sct Pro Esc (150A) - quite a different beast than this Hobbyking 60a, but looking at the Turnigy motor specs (Max amp draw 37a) it wouldn't do any good to use the bigger, heavier Hobbbywing instead of the Hobbyking, or would it ?

Last edited by Pygmy; 11-21-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
As some here still bother with taping the battery in the V2,
I thought I post some pics of our solution,
as nearly everyone in my class copied the idea of Michael, a race buddy of mine,
using M03 parts.
We use by spec 4000 Zippy Lipos, and are not allowed to charge outside a Lipo bag. So taping the battery was a fuzz, because many race the Mini besides the touring car, and everything has to go quick...
To stop wobbling, I covered the square hole with foamrear and downside, so the Zippy fits smooth in the chassis. M03 holders are cut by 1mm on the inside, depending on the battery used.
No damages to the connectors so far (4 race weekends).
Here some pics of my R5 turbo, which won me our first Mini championship this year on the last weekend...

Br,
Matthias
I was making the assumption, as I often do, that we were talking about shorty packs. You'd have to twist my arm pretty hard (or make a spec rule) to make me use a full length pack again.

This is a good solution. I continued using M03 battery holders when I switched to an M05 years ago. The regular M05 battery holders are awful!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wanted to thank everyone for the help with the V2. I was able to find what were the missing links in my setup. I took my car out for testing today and seems to be much better behaved. Won't know till tomorrow for sure but first indications are good. Have parts on order to hopefully further dial it in.

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 11-21-2014, 07:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Weird thing. Not sure if it's a problem. If I press down on the left/front shock, the right/rear raises up a little. If I press down on the right front, the left/rear stays planted. Everything appears to be adjusted evenly, shocks are set up the same. Any thoughts?

Edit: the car is traction rolling when turning right at speed. It's like the left front is too soft.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 11-21-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Wonder if the chassis is tweaked a bit? If not that then maybe the bladder has a hole? Any fluid leakage?

Jason

P.S. Just checked mine. Both stay planted evenly and don't seem to lift the tire at all.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I was making the assumption, as I often do, that we were talking about shorty packs. You'd have to twist my arm pretty hard (or make a spec rule) to make me use a full length pack again.

This is a good solution. I continued using M03 battery holders when I switched to an M05 years ago. The regular M05 battery holders are awful!
Hi Jim,
maybe that was the problem, that no one posted this idea!
Shorties are still not very popular in my area, as they are more expensive.
We can get a 4000 Zippy for around 15€, so this is easy living. I have 5 Zippys racing in 2 classes, and we also did a 25h endurance race this year. Never had so few trouble with batteries since I started RC as a kid. I would never go back from Lipo, never, never.

Kind regards,
Matthias
Old 11-22-2014, 01:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing

This may be a stupid question, but whats wrong with using a standard sized battery?

I was planning to use one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...no-tech%205600
as this is what I use for my touring car.
My motor and ESC package is a HW EZRUN 35A with 13T 3000KV sensorless motor. Will this be ok?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Ryan,

Use what battery you like. For me I like the shorty pack in my MO5 V2. There are plenty of others using large TC batteries in the new MO5. I like being able to place the added weight where I want it. In my MO5 V1 I used the LRP 4600 Lipo with corally connectors, as they were light and had great punch.

On my mini's I still add weight at the front to get the grip when I punch off the line. The heavier batteries place the weight more middle of the car.

I think its more personnal choice than anything else.

BTW,

I hope to come to IMCC soon for practice prior to the IMCC Cup in Jan 15.

Later,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 11-22-2014 at 01:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Calvin,

Tomorrow will probably be my last race day for a few months as I am off to Europe for a while. I get back the weekend of the IMCC cup, but I doubt I'll make it there. Hope you have a good weekend of racing.

Ryan
Old 11-22-2014, 06:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by fresnojay
Wonder if the chassis is tweaked a bit? If not that then maybe the bladder has a hole? Any fluid leakage?

Jason
Could be tweak, shocks are good. The only thing that's changed on the car since last week is I've installed o-rings in the outdrives. I'll find the glitch soon, I'm sure. It will probably be something stupid.

About batteries - I'm using shorties because the weight is centered very nicely. Those Zippys are an incredible bargain, however. Less than half the cost of my packs!
Old 11-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

On the battery topic, I use full size lipo's and have since I started. With the original 05 it was out of having to. But with the V2 its a matter of choice as they can be used in the TC and F1 as well. With the V2 for some reason with a full sized square pack the car balanced perfectly without much fuss. I had thought about a shorty for offsetting the motor weight but after putting the car on my balance board found out it wasn't needed. My mini is a bit over weight at present with a 6500mah pack in it, but am reserving judgement on putting it on a diet till I can get a proper run on it. No doubt though I will buy a lower mah pack for it at some point.

Jason

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.