Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

I have finally got my car handling good and it feels really stable on the track, instead of flipping on nearly every corner. However I now have the problem of not enough steering. I really have to slow right down to take a corner or I end up going to wide. This could be because the track has just been resurfaced and is super grippy.

Any advice for getting more steering at the beginning of the corner?

Ryan
Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

These are some of the things you could try

1. Lower the front ride height and/or raise the rear

2. Use less toe out

3. Softer front springs and thinner shock oil

4. Stand the front shocks up more. You need the option shock mount

5. Use a softer rear roll bar or remove it.

6. Run a narrower front track by using a thinner hex

There are others, but these are the easy ones. Just remember that changes at one end of the car sometimes need corresponding changes at the rear to maintain the overall "balance" in your set up.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Orca has committed to supplying WCICS with the 2200kv spec motors for at least this season and likely next as well. This comes from the Pres of WCICS who has spoken directly with a rep from Orca, not the Cdn distributor. There is a batch of motors being manufactured. The current combo will be discontinued, as there is a new version of the Spark ESC in the pipeline. There is no word as to when they'll arrive, but this is what I've been told.

I'd be disappointed to see the spec motors disappear, but I suppose it's inevitable in the long haul. The upshot would be having access to more revs would allow me to go to better quality, 55d tires, rather than the S Grips I'm burning through in 25-30 minutes.

Any ideas on what motor esc/motor combo WCICS would be going to?
Is there a substitute for ORCA other than running silver can?

no orca motors/esc available locally

Last edited by RUDEBOY1082; 10-23-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
These are some of the things you could try

1. Lower the front ride height and/or raise the rear

2. Use less toe out

3. Softer front springs and thinner shock oil

4. Stand the front shocks up more. You need the option shock mount

5. Use a softer rear roll bar or remove it.

6. Run a narrower front track by using a thinner hex

There are others, but these are the easy ones. Just remember that changes at one end of the car sometimes need corresponding changes at the rear to maintain the overall "balance" in your set up.
Thanks Granpa.

Softer front springs helped.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new to minis

Hi guys my name is Tim. Just picked up my first mini. Little background. I have been a long time hobbiest with a little running on dirt track for fun. I Have always wanted one of these since I was younger and finally decided to get one. The series interested me a lot due to it not being like how pan cars and touring car $$$$ is. Anyone know of and tracks in the Philadelphia area that runs the mini class? I'm going to search some threads about do and don't for these so I can get something built fairly correct. Thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The series interested me a lot due to it not being like how pan cars and touring car $$$$ is.
HA! -here is the funny thing, I spent about $400 on my touring car (roller). For this price the car was dialed in and had everything needed to be extremely competitive. I spend $140 on my Mini thinking what a bargain. The car is not competitive in stock form. I've probably spent about $250 upgrading my Mini. In the end it cost about the same as my TC to get to a competitive level.

But, it is a super fun class and I suppose you can get it competitive for a bit less money than what I spent.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eR1c
HA! -here is the funny thing, I spent about $400 on my touring car (roller). For this price the car was dialed in and had everything needed to be extremely competitive. I spend $140 on my Mini thinking what a bargain. The car is not competitive in stock form. I've probably spent about $250 upgrading my Mini. In the end it cost about the same as my TC to get to a competitive level.

But, it is a super fun class and I suppose you can get it competitive for a bit less money than what I spent.
This is very true. By the time you add:
- aluminium shocks
- aluminium steering linkage/arms/post etc
- ball bearings
- oil diff or ball diff
- aluminium shock towers
- aluminium front and rear hubs
- better esc/motor
Your looking at an expensive little car.

Ryan
Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tims06evomr
Hi guys my name is Tim. Just picked up my first mini. Little background. I have been a long time hobbiest with a little running on dirt track for fun. I Have always wanted one of these since I was younger and finally decided to get one. The series interested me a lot due to it not being like how pan cars and touring car $$$$ is. Anyone know of and tracks in the Philadelphia area that runs the mini class? I'm going to search some threads about do and don't for these so I can get something built fairly correct. Thanks
hey. welcome to the philly area there's 2 carpet track close to the city one is Horsham RC (http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...et-season.html)

and the other is RC Car World in Willingboro, NJ (http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...car-world.html)

both tracks run mini, hard to say which has the better turnout (i'd check out RC Car World, first though). Horsham has also hosted one of Tamiya TCS races and should be doing one this winter (march) as well..

you can shoot me a PM or email if you have any other questions I've been running mini a long time around this area

kaybo
Old 10-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by filippimini
This is very true. By the time you add:
- aluminium shocks
- aluminium steering linkage/arms/post etc
- ball bearings
- oil diff or ball diff
- aluminium shock towers
- aluminium front and rear hubs
- better esc/motor
Your looking at an expensive little car.

Ryan
What you two are saying is all true. A fully upgraded M05 roller will set you back between 4 and 5 bills. This however is a bit less than what a TC driver has spent on his car as a starter.

What you might be overlooking is that the Mini is a rugged little car that's going at a slower speed, so you don't break much unless you do something stupid. Parts don't wear out as quickly.

You might have forgotten that in TC, they seem to bring out "new" models very often. Seems like the Mini only has a new car every 5 years or so. Need I remind you that the M03 is still very competitive at many venues and is the car of choice at some. It's been around for over 10 years.

The day to day operation of a Mini is much less. TC tires for example have a much shorter life span. You can get 15 to 20 decent runs on a set of S Grips at my track before the lap times deteriorate. With a better tire you can double that.

Plus, if you break a part it's usually less costly. Unless you factor in the cost of running the car over a longer period of time, you won't get a true picture of the expense factor.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

-everything your pointing out is true Granpa. I was just pointing out that the Mini isn't really a $135 car (the cost of the kit), unless you only plan to run it in a parking lot.
It is a lot cheaper than TC for all the reasons you listed.

by the way, our club's #2 top car is a M03.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Yep, you are right Granpa. I just wanted the OP to realize that it's not as cheap initially as people make out. However, now that my car is set up, it doesn't cost me much at all.

Ryan
Old 10-29-2014, 12:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by filippimini
.... I just wanted the OP to realize that it's not as cheap initially as people make out.....
Ah yes it is, if you accept the car for what it is, & dont pour $$ into it trying to turn it into something else

In NZ the M03/M05 class is a spec class. You have to build it as per the manual (literally) . No upgrades allowed except bearings, hi-torque servo saver & swaybars. You even have to use stock esc & silvercan.

So its a very cheap class (locally), a race class thats easy to setup for, as there is no setup & no tweeks. That makes it easy to race as a 2nd fun class for a lot of guys, I guess thats why its so popular here.
You build it & plonk it as is on the track as is.

Anything can be expensive IF you decide to throw alot of money at it. Not just RC
Old 10-29-2014, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1101
Ah yes it is, if you accept the car for what it is, & dont pour $$ into it trying to turn it into something else

In NZ the M03/M05 class is a spec class. You have to build it as per the manual (literally) . No upgrades allowed except bearings, hi-torque servo saver & swaybars. You even have to use stock esc & silvercan.

So its a very cheap class (locally), a race class thats easy to setup for, as there is no setup & no tweeks. That makes it easy to race as a 2nd fun class for a lot of guys, I guess thats why its so popular here.
You build it & plonk it as is on the track as is.

Anything can be expensive IF you decide to throw alot of money at it. Not just RC
You just wait until someone finds this thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ps-tricks.html

I guess you are just a bunch of guys who want to have fun. Most places elsewhere that kind of spirit has long left the building.

The driver then doesn't count that much anymore save for the depth of their pockets.

The downunder mini brigade has demonstrated a long time ago that in a well organised mini class upgrades are irrelevant to results.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Does anybody know if there's a list with all available front wheel drive bodies ?
I want a body to match my incoming M05 chassis, but I have no idea what bodies are available that are actually of front wheel drive cars.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pygmy
Does anybody know if there's a list with all available front wheel drive bodies ?
I want a body to match my incoming M05 chassis, but I have no idea what bodies are available that are actually of front wheel drive cars.
off the top of my head...Tamiya bodies

swift
Honda crx
new mini cooper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.