R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #22021
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILKO1 View Post
Raced my M05 v2 yesterday for the first time at a local indoor championship, won all 3 qualifiers and both finals by a lap made a mistake by using the 3racing speed tuned gears the first 2 qualifiers but changed to the black Tamiya ones and got a better fastest lap. Very impressed with the handling and stability but towards the end of the meeting when traction was high it did grip roll a few times.
Can you share what shell, esc motor combo and oils / tyres you were using. I am also building my M05v2 to start racing indoors on carpet so It would be cool to get a rough idea of a base level.
__________________
http://www.theRcRacer.com/

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #22022
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dorset,UK
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Can you share what shell, esc motor combo and oils / tyres you were using. I am also building my M05v2 to start racing indoors on carpet so It would be cool to get a rough idea of a base level.
We had to use a HPI 20t brushed motor so I used a Tekin FX speedo, the tyres were Sweep 33 on front with sidewalls glued and Sweep 25 on rear. TRF shocks all at 56.5mm using 3 hole pistons and Muchmore 450 oil all round. I did not use the new arms as I think that they are pointless (metal screw on plastic) but use 3 racing arms all round. I also use a 3 racing gear diff with 100,000 oil in. I used a HPI Honda civic type r shell (medium wheelbase) But the VW Golf shell works to.
__________________
Zen RSGT, Trinity, Hobbywing, LRP.
M05 S-Spec, LRP, Intellect.
M05 v2 Tekin, Orion, Savox.
B44 Mamba Max, Trakpower.
B44.2 Avid chassis, Speed Passion, Gens Ace.
BILKO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #22023
Tech Elite
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,152
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Question for you O man, are you using the option shock towers front and rear??? My05 is ridiculously easy to drive, but I need to pick up the pace a little.
YES. Carbon towers Front and Rear
__________________
•KO Propo America
•EXOTEK
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #22024
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILKO1 View Post
We had to use a HPI 20t brushed motor so I used a Tekin FX speedo, the tyres were Sweep 33 on front with sidewalls glued and Sweep 25 on rear. TRF shocks all at 56.5mm using 3 hole pistons and Muchmore 450 oil all round. I did not use the new arms as I think that they are pointless (metal screw on plastic) but use 3 racing arms all round. I also use a 3 racing gear diff with 100,000 oil in. I used a HPI Honda civic type r shell (medium wheelbase) But the VW Golf shell works to.
Cool thanks for that, I need to get some Sweeps (got Pit mediums atm) we are running 21.5 motors in ours and it has to be long or short but no medium wheelbase (I was told that long is much better on tight high grip carpet) so I just need to choose a LWB shell.
__________________
http://www.theRcRacer.com/

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #22025
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,811
Default

No medium? Why?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #22026
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
No medium? Why?
no idea, I think its got to maybe be a mini shell. Do Tamiya make a medium shell?

I assume medium is the best for carpet?
__________________
http://www.theRcRacer.com/

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #22027
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 189
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Tires were glued, S grips but we're the wrong choice for carpet.
This was my first race on carpet and was wondering what setting others changed when fighting traction roll.
I went stiffer, thinking to reduce chassis roll and keep car from transferring weight side to side. I had the tamiya mini white springs, and I increased front and rear camber to 2deg, front height at 5.5 rear at 4.5, and stock plastic rear hubs, I think they are 2deg.
If my thinking is incorrect, please let me know so I can continue to learn and understand chassis setups.
__________________
Racers: M05 race mini, TA06 Pro VTA, 417X 17.5 touring car
Vintage: Frog, Blackfoot, Wild Willy, Lunch Box x 2, M01 Mini x 2, Monster Beetle x 2, Dirt Thrasher, F150 Baja,
Modern: M05 Play mini, Wild Willy 2000, Sand Scorcher
ncpantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #22028
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpantherfan View Post
Tires were glued, S grips but we're the wrong choice for carpet.
This was my first race on carpet and was wondering what setting others changed when fighting traction roll.
I went stiffer, thinking to reduce chassis roll and keep car from transferring weight side to side. I had the tamiya mini white springs, and I increased front and rear camber to 2deg, front height at 5.5 rear at 4.5, and stock plastic rear hubs, I think they are 2deg.
If my thinking is incorrect, please let me know so I can continue to learn and understand chassis setups.
First, I'm going to assume you're fighting a traction roll problem, correct????? The info needed is whether the traction roll occurs on corner entry or later in the corner, if this is so.

In answering your question, again I'm going to assume it's on corner entry since that is the most prevalent problem. What happens in this situation is that you go honking into a corner, crank the wheel over, and you wind up on your lid. What happens in this situation, of course is the weight transfer goes to the outside front wheel and your car trips over it.

In this situation, your analysis of the corrections to make, are not the way to correct the situation. You're right to raise the front and lower the rear. This helps cause it makes the front softer on turn in so you're less likely to have the front dig in.

Here's where you and I part company. You control the amount of roll with stiffer springs in the rear and a rear roll bar. You want to load the outside rear tire to do this cause you want to have less load on the outside front. What stiff springs in the front do is that the set of the care occurs much too quickly which on carpet and hi-grip asphalt you want to avoid.

Having never seen your track layout, your carpet, or you drive, I can't get to specific other than to guide you to a basic set up that has served me well over the years. First, if you don't have a rear roll bar, put one on. Try using the soft neon colored springs, put the blues in back and either the yellows or reds in front. Any adjustment to the shocks should be with different shock oils and not the springs or with shock rebound. If you want to speed up the action do so with lighter oil or more rebound. Generally, with your problem you'll want slower shocks in front and quicker shocks in back.I'd start with 40 wt all around.

Another thing you can do with the shocks in your situation is to run short shocks in the rear and longer ones in the front. Damn, I forgot to go over different shock angles and the effect of shock placement, but I'm still exploring the intricacies of that myself. Orlando is the guy to ask about that.

And please, don't just try one or two of my hints. As a favor to me, do it all or do none of it. In all Mini set ups, things work together and you'll make me look bad if you do just bits and pieces. If you have any questions, send me a PM. I don't like arguing with people about this stuff.

Last edited by Granpa; 09-10-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: correction
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #22029
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Forgot that if you have a TX that lets you do this, try slowing your travel speed down and cutting down on the amount of travel. Also you could reduce the drag brake in the esc. This will help even if you don't listen to any of the rest.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #22030
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,910
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
no idea, I think its got to maybe be a mini shell. Do Tamiya make a medium shell?

I assume medium is the best for carpet?
LWB (239) bodies are very rare, almost extinct. Majority are SWB (210) and quite a few are MWB (225). Off the top of my head, here are the Tamiya bodies,

Nissan Silvia S15 239mm is only LWB I can think off.

225mm: VW Beetle, Mazda Miata, Alfa Romeo GTA ,

210mm: Renault Alpine, Honda S800, Fiat Abarth 1000 TCR, Fiat Abarth Corse, Mini Cooper, Suzuki Swift
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #22031
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
LWB (239) bodies are very rare, almost extinct. Majority are SWB (210) and quite a few are MWB (225). Off the top of my head, here are the Tamiya bodies,

Nissan Silvia S15 239mm is only LWB I can think off.

225mm: VW Beetle, Mazda Miata, Alfa Romeo GTA ,

210mm: Renault Alpine, Honda S800, Fiat Abarth 1000 TCR, Fiat Abarth Corse, Mini Cooper, Suzuki Swift
A few errors here. It's tough remembering sometimes and I could be wrong here too. Monkey will probably set us both right. Tamiya discontinues so many bodies without notice.

My list:

SWB Rover Mini, Alpine, Fiat Abarth 1000, Honda S800, Nissan Silvia( also in LWB).

LWB JCW Coupe, Nissan Silvia, 2006 Cooper S

MWB CRX, Abarth 500, Suzuki Swift.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 AM   #22032
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
no idea, I think its got to maybe be a mini shell. Do Tamiya make a medium shell?

I assume medium is the best for carpet?
Its just a dumb rule. Someone will buy a common Mini like a Swift or 500 and get turned away from the track. What's the benefit of that?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #22033
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
A few errors here. It's tough remembering sometimes and I could be wrong here too. Monkey will probably set us both right. Tamiya discontinues so many bodies without notice.

My list:

SWB Rover Mini, Alpine, Fiat Abarth 1000, Honda S800, Nissan Silvia( also in LWB).

LWB JCW Coupe, Nissan Silvia, 2006 Cooper S

MWB CRX, Abarth 500, Suzuki Swift.
Thanks for that so if racing on a tight indoor carpet (low grip) Short should be best?
__________________
http://www.theRcRacer.com/

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #22034
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Qatmix, are you running TCS rules? I noticed you mentioned something about Sweep tires, so I'm assuming not. How about bodies from companies like Blitz? Their shells are good quality and half the price of Tamiya.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 09-10-2014 at 08:34 AM.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #22035
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Thanks for that so if racing on a tight indoor carpet (low grip) Short should be best?
Let me answer the question this way. The best carpet racer I know uses a SWB car.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:57 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0