R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #21916
Tech Addict
 
AngryRog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 613
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Curious to explore the possibilities but hopeful. Changed my set up for the colder track temps in A3. Edge but drivable. Can't imagine a setup w/o glue with the S-grips
__________________
Anger, K-Speed, Mini Mafia, NitroHouse.com
M03, M05v2 Pro, FF03-R, TA05v2, TRF419X, Roche P12
AngryRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #21917
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRog View Post
Maybe, if I stumble across a correct setup. We Mini guys are too secretive about most stuff.
Come on Rog, not true at all. Most of the Mafia guys will share 98% of their info. The other 2% you'll have to figure out on your own. Now that I think of it, I showed you the other 2%. If you didn't recognize it, maybe you weren't ready to hear it. By the way, congrats on a good showing. Looks like it's coming along just fine.

Yeah, you do stumble into some set ups, but most are by design. I'll admit to getting totally lost at times. When we went to the 21.5, that was a traumatic time. Once I figured out what the car was doing, it only took one change to dial the car in.

Looking forward to developing a set up for the 05. My 05 is super stable with a can. Might be good with the faster 21.5s.

Last edited by Granpa; 08-27-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Addition
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #21918
Tech Fanatic
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 822
Default

I know I'm kind of going "crystal ball" here, but has anyone heard at all if the 21.5's are here to stay in TCS? I was skeptical at first, but the more I run the car, the more I like the change....
__________________
Jesse Anderson / JROY386 / R_
theRACERunderground - "Budget Champions"
www.theracerunderground.blogspot.com
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #21919
Tech Elite
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,151
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Supposedly the Tamiya 16.5 handouts are here to stay.. I dont remember any of the guys that have been playing with the 21.5 say they didnt like the added speed. But for some reason TCS sanction likes to keep them 'slow'.. That being said I was surprised at how much 'rip' the Tamiya 16.5 has. They do get a little 'un interesting' down the straight, but once it comes to the infield it does make for some excitement. Truth be told, our minis were as fast as some of the GT3 21.5-shod cars down the straight. And just as stable if not moreso. A lil more uuhhmmff shouldn't hurt..

I peronally think somewhere between the current two bookends would be much more enjoyable without shredding thru tires. One set lasted all weekend with no issues whatsoever as far as wear and and/or grip even during the 8min Mains. There still a significant deliniation between the Tread and Groove on the set I used.
__________________
•KO Propo America
•EXOTEK
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #21920
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,500
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSherman View Post
Supposedly the Tamiya 16.5 handouts are here to stay.. I dont remember any of the guys that have been playing with the 21.5 say they didnt like the added speed. But for some reason TCS sanction likes to keep them 'slow'.. That being said I was surprised at how much 'rip' the Tamiya 16.5 has. They do get a little 'un interesting' down the straight, but once it comes to the infield it does make for some excitement. Truth be told, our minis were as fast as some of the GT3 21.5-shod cars down the straight. And just as stable if not moreso. A lil more uuhhmmff shouldn't hurt..

I peronally think somewhere between the current two bookends would be much more enjoyable without shredding thru tires. One set lasted all weekend with no issues whatsoever as far as wear and and/or grip even during the 8min Mains. There still a significant deliniation between the Tread and Groove on the set I used.
what the hell is the 16.5?
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #21921
Tech Addict
 
AngryRog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 613
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Come on Rog, not true at all. Most of the Mafia guys will share 98% of their info. The other 2% you'll have to figure out on your own. Now that I think of it, I showed you the other 2%. If you didn't recognize it, maybe you weren't ready to hear it. By the way, congrats on a good showing. Looks like it's coming along just fine.

Yeah, you do stumble into some set ups, but most are by design. I'll admit to getting totally lost at times. When we went to the 21.5, that was a traumatic time. Once I figured out what the car was doing, it only took one change to dial the car in.

Looking forward to developing a set up for the 05. My 05 is super stable with a can. Might be good with the faster 21.5s.
True, Mafia guys have been very helpful. My varying degrees of 2% have now boiled down diff builds which seem to be a bit of an art form. I have 'some' info, but not whole stories. My current diffs are ok, but more to learn.

Thanks for the props. I made setup changes throughout the day, the toughest being A3, it was a guess as I've never run there that late in the day. Car was edgy, but driveable.
__________________
Anger, K-Speed, Mini Mafia, NitroHouse.com
M03, M05v2 Pro, FF03-R, TA05v2, TRF419X, Roche P12
AngryRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #21922
Tech Elite
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,151
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
what the hell is the 16.5?
Tamiyas 'branded' handout motor which we used for the event. We all think they labeled them wrong... Its slower than everyone elses (the rest of the RC world) 21.5s on the market currently, cranked or not. Im guessing its proper labeling shoud be 25.5 comparatively.


Actually they label it 16T.. Not 16.5. my mistake


http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=45049
__________________
•KO Propo America
•EXOTEK
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #21923
Tech Fanatic
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 822
Default

Good insight Orlando, thanks!
I suppose in the end whatever is most cost-effective for Tamiya and the racers is best. I'm digging the sound of a motor that allows tires to last more than a couple weekends. I couldn't believe how bad my S Grips looked after the last club race!
__________________
Jesse Anderson / JROY386 / R_
theRACERunderground - "Budget Champions"
www.theracerunderground.blogspot.com
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #21924
Tech Apprentice
 
OGRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 96
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

So in the TCS Mini Finals are they running silver can handouts, or are they running Tamiya branded BL systems? I was under the impression that the esc's and motors were all BL name brands (novak, tekin, lrp, etc.). Am I wrong about that?

Sorry for the newb question, just getting started. Want to get am M05 pro soon...
OGRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #21925
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tustin,CA,USA
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRC View Post
So in the TCS Mini Finals are they running silver can handouts, or are they running Tamiya branded BL systems? I was under the impression that the esc's and motors were all BL name brands (novak, tekin, lrp, etc.). Am I wrong about that?

Sorry for the newb question, just getting started. Want to get am M05 pro soon...
Just the motor.

There is a TCS thread and this topic came about around this post

There sure was a lot of money spent by various people on 21.5 motors for what turned out to be just one (regional) race...
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #21926
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Tried my M-05 Ver.II out on the short track on Sunday. Feels very promising. had to turn the steering WAY down and chucked in a handful of exponential.

As for the 16T bl motor thing, I'm pretty sure the specs on that motor are about the same as our spec motors here. They take some getting used to. The biggest change is dealing with gobs of torque off the line, then hitting the rev ceiling very quickly. The car accelerates like a demon then just stops. It's like hitting a moving brick wall.
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #21927
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
As for the 16T bl motor thing, I'm pretty sure the specs on that motor are about the same as our spec motors here. They take some getting used to. The biggest change is dealing with gobs of torque off the line, then hitting the rev ceiling very quickly. The car accelerates like a demon then just stops. It's like hitting a moving brick wall.
Yep, with the SC on carpet, we would sweep the corners, keeping as much speed as possible. Now its point to point racing. Who can turn the tightest, get both wheels straight to get the power down to the max. I love watching races between the FWD and the RWD. Entering the corner, the FWD can attack the entry, while the RWD are careful on the brakes. On exit, the RWD squats and accelerates hard, while the FWD spin the tires. Its great to drive and watch
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #21928
Tech Master
 
SRC_DRIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,482
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSherman View Post
Tamiyas 'branded' handout motor which we used for the event. We all think they labeled them wrong... Its slower than everyone elses (the rest of the RC world) 21.5s on the market currently, cranked or not. Im guessing its proper labeling shoud be 25.5 comparatively.


Actually they label it 16T.. Not 16.5. my mistake


http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=45049
Sounds good.. Just hate I've bought as many 21.5's as I have lol...
__________________
www.Medlinracing.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVIyGKSyAGg
SRC_DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #21929
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tustin,CA,USA
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSherman View Post
some of the worst luck in TCS history.. hahahaha

gut wrenching... Orlando, you might not want to watch that... it's painful... Sharing for those that were not there.

And this livery surefire way to win next years racers choice concourse... you'd get my vote!

better luck next time! (it's almost impossible not to)
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #21930
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_DRIVER View Post
Sounds good.. Just hate I've bought as many 21.5's as I have lol...
Yeah, you and me both. Sure wish that the TCS people would do a little "long range" planning. As of right now it seems as if a lot of things are in limbo.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:55 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0