R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #21406
Tech Elite
 
tony gray's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,210
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuHaWong View Post
Anyone else see this on Redrc?

Hope tamiya gets some inspiration from it.
I'm surprised MD bothered, its not like 4WD Mini is a 'hot class'
Still, a new Mini is a new mini...
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #21407
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,836
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 View Post
I am having such a difficult time finding affordable M03 turnbuckle ends. I snapped one one My M03 and one on the wife's. Would ones for a TA04 or a DT03 fit it? I'm not trying to be TCS legal, just drivable.
Are you talking about steering linkage? I've been using Associated 33mm titanium parts. I grind a tiny bit off the end so they're the sand length as stock Tamiya bits. Or, do you mean the actual plastic ball cups? Tamiya 53601. Eight in a pack and pretty cheap.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #21408
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

[QUOTE=JiuHaWong;13353301]I don't think Markus was threatening at all in his comments Granpa. You seems to take offense where there is none.

No, not a direct threat, but an implied one. And we weren't talking about physical violence. Sometimes the nuances of the English language can get a little tricky.

Anyhoo, if you'll read Markus's posy just above yours, you'll see that he was just giving me a hard time or being a smarty pants. I just thought he was being a jerk, but gave him the benefit of the doubt and answered his questions to the best of my ability. Don't i get any credit for that????? Geez, if that isn't being a good guy, someone will have to explain.

Also, my Granpa tag is well earned cause I'm a really old, old man. Frankly I'm just too damned old to put up with any crap.

Markus and I are fine. Appreciate your concern, but it was for Markus and I to resolve, which we have.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #21409
Tech Master
 
EastCoasterVa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 1,109
Default

I was looking to get this class started at our local track and wonder what rules you all use?

I looked through a lot of pages but roughly 1500 pages makes the search tough.


Here is our local track in Chesapeake VA (Debbie RC World)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbk9T-xplQs
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
EastCoasterVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #21410
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,498
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoasterVa View Post
I was looking to get this class started at our local track and wonder what rules you all use?

I looked through a lot of pages but roughly 1500 pages makes the search tough.


Here is our local track in Chesapeake VA (Debbie RC World)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbk9T-xplQs
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Nice track
__________________
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #21411
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,836
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Give these a whirl. Substitute whatever motor/ESC combo you want and you're gold. http://karz.ca/karzcalgary/Classes_and_Rules.html

The advantage is affordability. Opening up to aftermarket parts can provide cheaper alternatives, though it must be said, most will eventually end up 95% Tamiya, except for the diff .
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #21412
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MD
Posts: 963
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Here on our small to medium tracks the Reedy Mach2 is widely used because it seems to have good torque and short RPM. I find that big tracks tend to like the Thunder Power and RPM Killshots. I haven't had the chance to try the R1 yet.
__________________
AwesomatixUSA - JMR - The Track

Last edited by Markus; 06-23-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #21413
Tech Addict
 
bd581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, NSW
Posts: 516
Default

Here in australia its been pretty much accepted nation wide that we use hobbywing 25 or 35Amp ESC and Hobbywing 13T/3000kv motor (or identical rebrand)
Fast enough to keep the experienced entertained, slow enough for beginners, and most importantly, cheap.

Nobody seems to complain
__________________
Brad
Xray T4 '16, Xray X1, Tamiya M05 Ver.II Pro.
X-ray XB4 '16, TLR 22 3.0, TLR/Exotek 22T 2.0, Mugen MBX7R Eco.
bd581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #21414
Tech Regular
 
fresnojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Man that is a nice track. Lucky god.

I use a Killshot RPM and am over all pretty happy. Haven't run a R1 but have run against most other options out there and few could keep up with me (not trying to be conceited). The Reedy Mach 2 was the closest to keeping up and actually kept me on my toes. But if I stayed on my game I could get away or at least stay up front. Mind you I still have yet to run at TCS :-( . My experiences are here at the local track.

Jason
__________________
Tamiya TB-02, Tamiya M-05 V2 Pro, Tamiya TA-05, Tamiya F103,
fresnojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #21415
Tech Regular
 
firefoxussr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 302
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
I'm surprised MD bothered, its not like 4WD Mini is a 'hot class'
Still, a new Mini is a new mini...
What piqued my interest is it can be run as RWD or FWD or 4WD. That's great cuz my local track only allows FWD (i'd like a car where I can just change it back to RWD/4WD when not racing). And running my Cup Racer as FWD would be a nightmare!

I was just lamenting that I couldn't pick up a Front-Mid car w/RWD for a miata/Z4/billion other cars true to scale setup. So color me very interested.
__________________
On the road: TA05-S, XV01, XRay T1
On the bench: M06, HPI Cup Racer, Sakura FGX
In the box: TA02-S, M04, TA05 IFS
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #21416
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxussr View Post
What piqued my interest is it can be run as RWD or FWD or 4WD. That's great cuz my local track only allows FWD (i'd like a car where I can just change it back to RWD/4WD when not racing). And running my Cup Racer as FWD would be a nightmare!

I was just lamenting that I couldn't pick up a Front-Mid car w/RWD for a miata/Z4/billion other cars true to scale setup. So color me very interested.
Try an M01/2. That can be run in FWD or RWD configurations and it's mid motor. You might even find the uber-rare Tech Racing 4WD conversion if you're lucky.

Or an HPI RS4 Mini.

Or the more recent TA05 M-Four Mini.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #21417
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,892
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxussr View Post
What piqued my interest is it can be run as RWD or FWD or 4WD. That's great cuz my local track only allows FWD (i'd like a car where I can just change it back to RWD/4WD when not racing). And running my Cup Racer as FWD would be a nightmare!

I was just lamenting that I couldn't pick up a Front-Mid car w/RWD for a miata/Z4/billion other cars true to scale setup. So color me very interested.
I use M06 for RWD scale bodies, Like the Alfa GTA, Alpine 110. Most are afraid to touch it because it take a little more effort to drive it.. But they do drive nice and are very competitive to M05.

I recently picked up a Top Racing Sabre Mini AWD. It's quality is fantastic, you can adjust the wheelbase between 210 and 225. I'd pick that over the MD.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #21418
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 32
Default

My head hurts :-(

Having read nearly the entire motor tips and tuning thread i am really no more informed than i was before i started. I have emailed the guy who sells red dot motors in the blind hope he will sell me a couple of motors and they are legal here in the uk.

The next thing i will do is buy a new torque tuned motor for my car as thats the one down on power.

Then it will be a case of making it my routine to clean the commutator after every practise session and at race events after every heat. This will be done with a cotton bud stick (I presume thats what you guys use) and a bit of brasso. This will be rinsed using electric contact spray and the bushes oiled using a watchmakers oiler and watchamkers oil (I already have some).

Having read all the "do the water break in thing" "dont do the water break in thing" i have decided that the motor will break itself in gradually. I will not be putting it near water.

Finally i will be installing the alu motor mount and heatsinks along with a fan if our club allows.

Not wanting anyone to say if this is the best method but i would appreciate someone telling me if i am gonna make things worse.
Thelittlesthobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #21419
Dan
Tech Elite
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,189
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

The MD car looks quite unbalanced with the motor positioning.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #21420
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelittlesthobo View Post
My head hurts :-(

Having read nearly the entire motor tips and tuning thread i am really no more informed than i was before i started.
Told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelittlesthobo View Post
I have emailed the guy who sells red dot motors in the blind hope he will sell me a couple of motors and they are legal here in the uk.

The next thing i will do is buy a new torque tuned motor for my car as thats the one down on power.

Then it will be a case of making it my routine to clean the commutator after every practise session and at race events after every heat. This will be done with a cotton bud stick (I presume thats what you guys use) and a bit of brasso. This will be rinsed using electric contact spray and the bushes oiled using a watchmakers oiler and watchamkers oil (I already have some).

Having read all the "do the water break in thing" "dont do the water break in thing" i have decided that the motor will break itself in gradually. I will not be putting it near water.

Finally i will be installing the alu motor mount and heatsinks along with a fan if our club allows.

Not wanting anyone to say if this is the best method but i would appreciate someone telling me if i am gonna make things worse.

Two things.

1. Not running in the motor can not be a benefit. Don't run it in water (I never did), but run it in or it will run itself in under full stress and burn your comm in no time flat with all the arcing a pair of unseated/poorly seated brushes can kick up.

Put it this way. Apart from say half an hour there's nothing to lose if you run in your motor, there's nothing to gain if you don't (my comments above notwithstanding).

2. Using brasso/cotton buds. This is just wrong. Brasso is by default an abrasive, so getting it in the motor can not be a good idea no matter what, not to mention once it gets in the bushings there's not much you can do to get it out. Cotton buds are not going to do much. They're good for cleaning tape heads, but not here.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0