Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
What he was referring to was that were not seeing as many new Mini racers showing up. I suspect he believes it's due to the new rules. Of course, some started racing Mini because of switch to B/L motors. I suspect tho, that these are not the new racers that he was referring to.
Spot on.. No reason you should be able to spend $600-800 on a new mini setup. Its just crazy
Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Depends where you buy, doesn't it? My V2 was $118. My Gold edition was $132. Shipped, each was under $150. I've seen full, all plastic kits online for around the same prices.

They supply you with a body, sure, but the kit tires are useless and the brushed motor/ESC are equally useless, due to races running brushless.

So, you've got an all plastic car, with a body, but no tires, shocks, bearings or upgraded parts that are useful for club racing. Tell me where the advantage of the regular kit is, outside of new racers entering the hobby.

My apologies if this comes across as harsh, but the reality is that the special editions make economic sense.
Wow, lucky you! Prices around me are not even remotely close, unless I want to order from Japan but then I make up for the low price in shipping costs. Best I could find stateside was about $165 for the all plastic m05, a bearing kit and mini cva shocks. Seems like the minis are a lot more popular in Australia and Japan than they are in the US, which probably makes a big difference in pricing.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sad_rocc
Wow, lucky you! Prices around me are not even remotely close, unless I want to order from Japan but then I make up for the low price in shipping costs. Best I could find stateside was about $165 for the all plastic m05, a bearing kit and mini cva shocks. Seems like the minis are a lot more popular in Australia and Japan than they are in the US, which probably makes a big difference in pricing.
Those prices are in US dollars, shipped from Japan and Hong Kong respectively, to Canada. Shipping from Japan is particularly cheap.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, any recommendations? RCMart.com seems to have everything, but not those kind of prices and shipping on a kit was $45. Those prices are lower than my LHS can get wholesale!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Aitutaki
thanks eric, so than i have to sandpaper the ends. it really does not move as it should. strange.

Change the ballstuds with lower profile studs like those used on the older TRF cars (hex head). They are 1 mm lower, so they'll improve the angle. I am not sure, but if Tamiya makes a carbon shock support you might want to give that a try (that might work with the current ballstuds).
Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, any recommendations? RCMart.com seems to have everything, but not those kind of prices and shipping on a kit was $45. Those prices are lower than my LHS can get wholesale!
Shipping out of the US is 45$ for a couple of screws.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aitutaki
hy guys,

i am heaving an issue building my V2...
at step 17 -19

building the SWB Model , the rear upper mounts for the uprights do not move as they should when attached. the arms hardly can move if attached.
as long as i think tamiya would have known this before releasing, i guess i made some mistakes
but which ?

as you can see on the photo, the angle after attaching is to much..
thanks for your help...
Is it possible that you have the rear uprights flip flopped? they are marked near the grub screw opening. you should see a 2L or 2 R. for left and right.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Banzai Hobby. Not sure what they've got for kits but shipping is super cheap and their pricing is fantastic. EG: $6/pr for S Grips. (about $7.50CAD landed) They'd cost me $15/pr locally.

BTW: I apologize to all the local hobby shops that can't match this pricing. It's not entirely your fault. The thing you have to understand is that I'm a disabled guy on a fixed pension. I can't keep up with local pricing. With S Grips being the mushy things they are now, I can easily burn through a set every week. At about $20/pr (mounted) plus race fees, gas and everything else that goes along with this hobby...well, if it weren't for cheap new stuff and even cheaper used stuff, I couldn't participate.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 06-17-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think anyone needs to apologise. That's what credit cards are for: to vote for competition. Local shops will either adapt or perish. In the great land of Oz where I reside, shops have demonstrated they can adapt and some did so very well, with really competitive prices. Others have bailed out. At a statistical population level it is clear the consumer is still king and shops that don't acknowledge this, pay the price (pun may or may not be intended).
Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Banzai does have very low prices and shipping is inexpensive. For parts inside the SAL shipping option, takes a couple of weeks to the states but you end up paying $3-$6 for shipping and prices are a fraction of towerhobbies.

Kits you don't have the option of going SAL, so you have to use EMS ($35-$40).. Banzais prices though are usually cheaper than RCMart, since they are in Japan / country of oring
Old 06-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by niznai
Don't waste your time and money with useless crap. Buy the Tamiya shocks if you want a good shock. The CVA minis would be a better choice than yours, but you can go the whole hog and get the TRF. One good thing is they'll be with you forever. Use the money you're going to save if you go to your local track before wasting money on tires and get some local advice.
Thanks niznai, will do.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I like ordering from TQRC also. Ships fast and carries a lot of the cool stuff that most other shops don't carry. Sean is a standup guy.

I do support my LHS, but there are things they can't get that TQ can. But thats what happens when you mostly run F1 and mini...
Old 06-18-2014, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was going to order some stuff from TQRC, but they want to charge me tax and shipping which made the prices the same as my LHS. The only place locally that carries mini parts is a track that races them and because they order so little, their prices are usually over retail. $17 from Banzai for 4 mounted tires is a great deal, will definitely keep them in mind.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
I like ordering from TQRC also. Ships fast and carries a lot of the cool stuff that most other shops don't carry. Sean is a standup guy.

I do support my LHS, but there are things they can't get that TQ can. But thats what happens when you mostly run F1 and mini...
+1 TQ have a life inventory system. I had problem with other hobbyshops of finding out an item ordered was not available after I made a payment. We all know how difficult it is to get a refund.

I will never have that problem with TQ. They are the best I ever dealt with. I get my orders shipped and received very quick.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

The M05v.2 is not quite available in the States yet, hence why you can't find them yet. If you have some patience, they'll hit the shelves soon, so look into pre-ordering one at local or online hobby stores.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.