R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #21121
Tech Adept

Oh! And in case this wasn't covered, the new car also is designed to fit a lo-profile servo very low in the chassis
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #21122
Tech Elite

I've been following the posts on the "new" M05 kit with some interest, not much, but some. From what I can discern, the only change in the "new" kit that is of any significance is the ability to use the "square" packs. The rest just seem to be gimmicks or flash to entice the gullible. I don't expect that comment to win me any friends. Being able to run a quality battery should help performance over the "sports" type packs we're presently running.

The fact that the motor is more centered is not the advantage many of you are touting. In order to offset the weight lost from the front wheels that moving the servo to the rear of the car, we were adding weight to the opposite side of the motor can. Now, if you try to add weight up front, the car becomes unbalanced to the opposite side if you add weight at the motor. I've found that adding weight to the front of an M05 is beneficial in most cases and for most drivers.

Droop screws, while causing a great deal of excitement, may not be the benefit that many anticipate. For one thing, droop is a relatively coarse adjustment on a Mini. In other words, you have to make a fairly big adjustment to notice any difference. A 1/4 turn adjustment on the droop screw isn't going to affect things much. Also, droop, is different from a TC and is different in a 21.5 or faster motored car than a Silvercan. I have a feeling it's going to "mess" more people up than it helps.

The other "improvements" seem to be just "chatter". There doesn't seem to be any changes to the steering geometry or tightening of the steering linkage.

With that being said, my main reasons for my lack of enthusiasm, centers on the increased $$$ or batteries and the more complete shrouding of the motor. The motors run hot now, enclosing them more, even though slight, just won't help.

These are just some thoughts on the "new" kit and I hope I'm wrong. I suspect, the success of this car will depend more on the guys using it, than any inherent advantage of the kit itself. The amount of the benefit of the battery is, of course, the unknown here.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #21123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

I think balancing the car through design is always better than through other means, the extra weights can easily be added down the centre line. I too add weight to the front of the M05. I collected a few front bumpers and filled each with a different amount of lead. Its kind of a tuning option lol. I know that locally, guys have been mounting the ESC opposing the motor to get the darn thing balanced. One good hit and your racing budget goes up, and considering its mini, a good hit is to be expected! lol

I do like the droop change, thats huge for me. Im sick of having 2-3 sets of different length shocks to play around with. For us on carpet, its critical.

Benefit of the battery for me, i dont need special packs just for mini. Thank GAWD! lol

The low profile servo etc, blah blah blah lol. A higher COG in the back actually helps from what ive found.

Just my 2c Granpa. I understand the worry about batteries for you guys down there, when will someone step up with a single motor rule! lol We have it and we love it
Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #21124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
Here's some more pics w/ the shorty pack and brushless motor fitment. I'll bring this car to the Tamiya Raceway tomorrow.

Did you have to shim the motor out to clear the tabs? did you try out other motors? thanks
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #21125
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Hong Kong.

Dealt with them a lot, no problems.
Thanks man.

I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
Vincent Van Gogh
tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #21126
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post
Just my 2c Granpa. I understand the worry about batteries for you guys down there, when will someone step up with a single motor rule! lol We have it and we love it
In due time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
Did you have to shim the motor out to clear the tabs? did you try out other motors? thanks
No, and "not yet". I have a speed passion in an M03 that will fit no problem because of the side ports for the wires. I suppose some test-fitting may happen for the guys at the Tamiya track tomorrow when I show the car.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #21127
Tech Elite

Looking forward to seeing the car and watching the trial runs. It will be interesting. In spite of my less than enthusiastic response, I am maintaining an open mind. As always, there is a lot of Harry Truman in my thinking.

I did receive the F1 tire tape. Thank you again for this, for me, hard to obtain item.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #21128
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Should be seeing my new car by about Tues/Weds. I'm looking forward to it as it addresses a few things that could've been dealt with the last time. Square short packs will center the mass, as will moving the motor over. The droop screws will allow me to build a set of shocks to stock length and not have to wonder on race day if i should've gone 1mm longer or shorter. The front bulkhead, behind the shock mount looks a little beefed up. That's been a weak spot since day one with the 05. I couldn't care less about the servo, however.

At the very least, I see no downsides with this car and the upshot is that it's time for me to buy a new mini battery anyway. $40 should get me a pack that's better than what I've got now. Win!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #21129
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm just finishing building my m05 (old version) and I was wondering about weight balance. With the motor and esc to one side it seems like it wouldn't be balanced.
sad_rocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #21130
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_rocc View Post
I'm just finishing building my m05 (old version) and I was wondering about weight balance. With the motor and esc to one side it seems like it wouldn't be balanced.
Putting the ESC on the opposite side to the motor helps.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #21131
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah I think I'll end up doing that. I stuck it on the other little platform just because thats what the instructions showed but it looked odd
sad_rocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #21132
Tech Elite

Eric brought his car out to the track today so was able to see the car and not just some pictures and drawings.

First, a nice looking kit and a "clean" build. My overall impression is still the same as the steering and suspension geometry is the same, so no improvement in performance. here. The one piece arms are really a nice touch, though the front ones may need a bit of "grinding". Don't ask the question as it will be obvious and is simple to do. We got an on the spot ruling as to whether it would be TCS legal and it will be.

The droop screws that all seem to be excited about are still a "eeh" for me. It's going to be a bit of a hassle to get them to work properly and the chassis will need reinforcement. Unless metal plates are installed, all you'll have is a nice little hole in the chassis where the droop screw hits. And the metal reinforcements could pop off every so often unless you use something like small model train screws to attach them.

B/L motors will fit nicely and the tabs appear to clear. The motor doesn't seem to buried so the overheating worries I had may not crop up. Also the lower positioning of the servo may be a positive on some tracks and with the 55m tires.

Again, the improvement in performance will come primarily, IMO, from being able to fit the square battery packs. While I fully understand this will improve performance, which I have no objection to, it will increase most racers battery budget by a factor of about 3 or more, which I don't like very much. Just hate to see Mini becoming a "over priced" class too.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #21133
Tech Elite

The droop screw problem is the same on TC carbon fibre chassies. I use half a double edged razor blade blunted, ground square and glued with contact adhesive (shoe rubber cement) where the droop screw hits to avoid it digging in the chassis and forcing periodic readjustments of droop. If applied correctly, the rubber cement does not come off for the life of the car. Another option is to use polyurethane rubber like that used to bond automotive sheet metal and windshields to the chassis. This is a bit pricy but sticks stuff forever. Sikaflex makes it and I can vouch for it.

For the mini, I think the plastic itself might be too soft, so it is worth considering a thicker metal insert say the blade of a Stanley knife (too thick for my liking on a TC chassis), or a scalpel blade (somewhere inbetween).

I also round off the droop screws in my lathe before using them so they don't have the pointy ends that contact the chassis. Current TC kits have made this operation unnecessary by moving to larger screws (M4 rather than M3) with rounded ends. I still use the steel plates because the carbon fibre still compresses somewhat under the screws and dimples. The razor blade steel is really hard so no such problems.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #21134
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Again, the improvement in performance will come primarily, IMO, from being able to fit the square battery packs. While I fully understand this will improve performance, which I have no objection to, it will increase most racers battery budget by a factor of about 3 or more, which I don't like very much. Just hate to see Mini becoming a "over priced" class too.
I'm not sure what kind of batteries you guys run in minis, but they must be incredibly cheap. The last few stick packs I bought came in over $50. They were IP 3800 (ProTek) and Reedy Wolfpack 3300. I can buy a better quality 4300mah shorty square pack from SMC for $40 or a much better shorty for $60. I'm willing to bet the guys in the lead at TCS races aren't using $20 no name packs.

The bonus for me is that I have to buy a new battery anyway. Buying a square pack means i can use the same battery in buggy, TC, trail truck, mini and anything else I happen to own. (besides my M03 or M04) I'm pretty sure there are loads of people thinking along the same lines and realizing they're going to save money, because they don't need to have a special battery just for mini.

All that said, there is still one other thing to consider: No one has to buy a square pack. The car will still accept rounded packs.

Niznai, good call on reinforcing the droop screw points. I'll try not to hurt myself. I use double edge safety razors. They should be a good source of material.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:27 AM   #21135
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

3 racing include droop screw plates in their Sakura TC kits. They can be bought separately and cheaply
fleetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote