Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
Last time out was my first ever outdoor race with the M05. It was a learning experience for everyone that day as our club has only ever raced Minis indoor on carpet.
Weather wise Ireland is no Southern California or Victoria, but although it was a windy day it was dry for the most part. I know that this will not be the case every round. Can anyone advise on how you rain proof an M05 ?
having raced in the wet with the m05 there really isnt to much you can do in terms of rain proofing to the chassis. just plan to clean every steel part once your done that meeting, otherwise if left all will start to rust.

However the electronics are simply covered by using blu tac. best solution and easily to do just cover all the esc, receiver joints and plug holes etc.

as for the motor a little more difficult if you have lots of vent holes, us running the hobbying there really is only where the a,b,c wire come out which again more blu tac solves that.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You might be interested in reading up on what trail and crawler guys do to keep their cars going. I use a combination of plasti-dip and receiver boxes on my trail rig. Might be overkill for on-road, but it works.

watrproofing electronics

Also, DJ Medic has some great YouTube vids, should you choose to go big.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Got the video thing fixed!

Last edited by monkeyracing; 05-07-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Dennis Lyman passed away this morning after a long battle with cancer. He was a beautiful human being and was a "friend" and/or mentor to many of us in the So Cal R/C car racing community.

I really would like to say more, but I just can't seem to find the words. This has just been a "shitty" day.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

@Granpa
I am sorry to hear about your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Sorry to hear this, Bob. I hope you have a better Thursday.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry to learn of your loss Bob
Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default Dennis

Grandpa,
So very sad to hear about Dennis. He was a cool, friendly and helpful character with a long history in motor sports, and will be sorely missed by all that knew him. I must go cry in my memories for awhile...
Craig
Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default Dennis Lyman

It so sad that Dennis past away.
He is a very good man & very helpfull friendly at the track.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I never knowingly met Dennis, but the response to his passing from everyone I do know and respect is so overwhelming I feel I lack the vocabulary to say the right thing. But I'm going to try.

Please let me express my sincerest condolences to everyone who had the privilege of knowing him, and graced with his friendship.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I picked up an M05 early this year and have been racing it in my local club events this season. My first race I was dead last out of about 15 racers. I spent the next several weeks upgrading my shocks and steering (all linkage and servo saver) to get the handling to perform and center correctly. I placed 10th out of 15-19 racers in that event. Again, I did more upgrades and continued to tweak, this past race event I placed 3rd!

I am really loving my M05 'cooper and this class.

I have a ball diff' and Tamiya racing slicks ready to go in for my next event. Here is my question,
After 9 races (representing 3 racing days ...we run 3 heats). I tore my car down this weekend to clean everything and get ready for my next event at the end of the month. I noticed that the main chassis is literally crumbling apart. The plastic on both halfs is crumbling ...one side it is near the steering linkage, and the other side is near the motor mount area.

My last Tamiya product was a Hornet from about 1986, ...I've been racing w/ HPI, Ofna (H4 pro), Associated, etc for the past decade. I was immediately suspicious of the brittle plastic when I put my M05 together several months ago (as I remember my 80's hornet's chassis cracking and falling apart back in the day). I was very careful to not over-tighten screws as I knew the brittle plastic could crack easily.

Is it normal for the chassis to crack like this? Fortunately they are only $11 for a new chassis.

Does anyone know if RPM or some other manufacturer makes a version that does not use that crappy brittle Tamiya plastic? Or do you know if the blue, red or "chrome/black" versions use a different less brittle plastic for the chassis?

Has anyone else had this happen?

thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

..if there are no other chassis options available I am considering casting my own chassis w/ a more durable resin. There are are many strong resins out there that are not brittle. Curious why Tamiya uses such a brittle plastic. I get that it is rigid and you don't want the chassis to flex, yet there are tons of rigid plastics out there. anyway, thinking of casting my own chassis.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eR1c
Is it normal for the chassis to crack like this? Fortunately they are only $11 for a new chassis.

Has anyone else had this happen?

thanks!
I "operate" seven different m05 that get BEAT up (1 is mine, 6 are "company" cars that are treated exceptionally rough by novice coworkers). not one of the chassis has ever cracked. they are all black plastic. Not heard of anyone else having this happen either.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

that is good to know,
maybe I did over-tighten the screws in a few areas which led to stress cracks?

Here is another thought,
have you ever heard of chemicals reacting w/ the Tamiya plastic chassis to make it break more easily?
I use "Simple Green" to wipe it down (after a race day).
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The 05 is a bit more brittle than any Tamiya I've run before. We see front shock mounts and lower suspension mounts popping pretty regularly. Chassis colour make no difference. My gold fell apart as fast as any. The revised version appears to resolve a few of these things.

You must race someplace with extremely liberal rules. Moulding your own chassis? Wow, that's dedication!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

You must race someplace with extremely liberal rules. Moulding your own chassis? Wow, that's dedication!
No, it wouldn't be legal I am sure!! we go by the standard TCS rules.

I am just amazed at how my chassis crumbled. -and resin casting isn't a big deal for me, i've casted many things in the past. Yeah, running my own homebrew chassis is definitely not legal and prob- not going to do it!

I may just be so used to the durability of CF chassis's that I forgot how easily plastic can break.

Good to know that someone has seen this on the M05's ...i guess at $10-$12 a new chassis isn't that bad. Also, I did get 9 races out of it (plus countless parking lot runs).

there is the possibility that my chassis when formed was defective in the process, yet probably not likely ...I am sure they have a pretty stringent process for their injection molded parts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.