R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #20701
Tech Adept
 
Boons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Thumbs up

An interesting one, or maybe not! I've asked about silvercan tuning/cleaning a few posts up as a few guys at the club's silvercan powered mini's are very fast. Last night during practise I ran my black can. Well, I could only manage the same top speed as these silvercan cars along the straight and no faster.

Does this sound normal for a 'tweaked' silvercan vs an out if the box black can? Note, these guys tell me they aren't running fast gears and we're all using 20t pinions with NIMH power.
__________________
Tamiya Mini M05 V2, Tamiya Mini M03, Carisma M40S brushless
Boons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #20702
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fargo, ND, USA
Posts: 87
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boons View Post
An interesting one, or maybe not! I've asked about silvercan tuning/cleaning a few posts up as a few guys at the club's silvercan powered mini's are very fast. Last night during practise I ran my black can. Well, I could only manage the same top speed as these silvercan cars along the straight and no faster.

Does this sound normal for a 'tweaked' silvercan vs an out if the box black can? Note, these guys tell me they aren't running fast gears and we're all using 20t pinions with NIMH power.
Check your ESC's calibration. I know that my M03's seemed to have one faster than the other, but it turned out that one of my ESCs were mis-calibrated, so I was only getting 80% of the max power out of it. re-calibrated so that it'll max out at full throw and it's much faster now.
pizzaboy192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #20703
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boons View Post
An interesting one, or maybe not! I've asked about silvercan tuning/cleaning a few posts up as a few guys at the club's silvercan powered mini's are very fast. Last night during practise I ran my black can. Well, I could only manage the same top speed as these silvercan cars along the straight and no faster.

Does this sound normal for a 'tweaked' silvercan vs an out if the box black can? Note, these guys tell me they aren't running fast gears and we're all using 20t pinions with NIMH power.
You have a PM
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 AM   #20704
Tech Addict
 
Schs2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 710
Default

Are the black reinforced spur gears more durable than the stock ones?
Another one bites the dust in the middle of a straight away.
__________________
VBC Lightning 10LM, Xray T4 Touring/USGT, M05v2
Losi 8ight 3.0 E Truggy, Losi TEN MT
Traxxas Summit & RC4WD TF2 SWB

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #20705
Tech Champion
 
whitrzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 5,569
Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
Are the black reinforced spur gears more durable than the stock ones?
Another one bites the dust in the middle of a straight away.
Yes, they still suck though...


It's a $4 gearset, it might become a 'maintenance' item every 4th race
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #20706
Tech Adept
 
rramjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Everett WA in the Summer Mesa AZ in the Winter
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
Are the black reinforced spur gears more durable than the stock ones?
Another one bites the dust in the middle of a straight away.
Wow what are you using for a motor? I assume it's the spur gear portion that is going. Are you getting a good mesh between the pinion and spur. What do the teeth on the pinion look like? I did put the hardened pinion in mine early on.

I've still got the original plastic gears that came in my M03. I've been running it for over a year now and I have used everything from the Silver Can to a boosted 17.5 in it. Currently running a boosted 21.5 on a large road course. Never used any lube.

Of course because I said that I'll probably tear them up next race. I do have a set of the "high speed" gears to try out if that happens but I've been told they won't last.
__________________
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya M05 Ver II Pro
TC4 Late Model
CW GBX2
rramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #20707
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boons View Post
An interesting one, or maybe not! I've asked about silvercan tuning/cleaning a few posts up as a few guys at the club's silvercan powered mini's are very fast. Last night during practise I ran my black can. Well, I could only manage the same top speed as these silvercan cars along the straight and no faster.

Does this sound normal for a 'tweaked' silvercan vs an out if the box black can? Note, these guys tell me they aren't running fast gears and we're all using 20t pinions with NIMH power.
Two things...

1. There can be a massive difference between NiMH packs. If someone has managed to keep hold of some decent race cells then they are significantly better than cheap stick packs. And some cheap packs are better than others. NiMH's are basically a pain in the backside whereas LiPos create a very even playing field.

2. Any class that doesn't specify a labelled motor is far too easy to cheat in. There are so many silver can motors out there that nobody ever really knows what is being used. Some "cheating" may be entirely unintentional. We have run labelled HPI SATURN 20s for years and I don't know of a single dodgy motor being used. I can't say the same about other silvercan classes i've raced in.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #20708
Tech Addict
 
Schs2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramjet View Post
Wow what are you using for a motor? I assume it's the spur gear portion that is going. Are you getting a good mesh between the pinion and spur. What do the teeth on the pinion look like? I did put the hardened pinion in mine early on.

I've still got the original plastic gears that came in my M03. I've been running it for over a year now and I have used everything from the Silver Can to a boosted 17.5 in it. Currently running a boosted 21.5 on a large road course. Never used any lube.

Of course because I said that I'll probably tear them up next race. I do have a set of the "high speed" gears to try out if that happens but I've been told they won't last.
Using included 20t from kit which is set properly.
Using 2s and orca q'spark combo/2200kv motor
Max temp was 120F
No i dont know what went wrong this time.
It gives me an excuse to upgrade stuff as well
__________________
VBC Lightning 10LM, Xray T4 Touring/USGT, M05v2
Losi 8ight 3.0 E Truggy, Losi TEN MT
Traxxas Summit & RC4WD TF2 SWB

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #20709
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Lose the stock pinion gear and get a good one in there. The stock ones are very soft and the teeth get carved up and go all italic chewing u every spur you put in there within minutes. You should be able to get a Robinson Racing (pn1120) pretty easily. They're cheap and last for a long time.

Other makers include Duratrax and Kyosho. If you can get one, the Kawada is the cat's ass. Quiet and durable.
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #20710
Tech Addict
 
Schs2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Lose the stock pinion gear and get a good one in there. The stock ones are very soft and the teeth get carved up and go all italic chewing u every spur you put in there within minutes. You should be able to get a Robinson Racing (pn1120) pretty easily. They're cheap and last for a long time.

Other makers include Duratrax and Kyosho. If you can get one, the Kawada is the cat's ass. Quiet and durable.
It will be done! What about hpi pinions any better than stock?
I seen some so thought id ask
__________________
VBC Lightning 10LM, Xray T4 Touring/USGT, M05v2
Losi 8ight 3.0 E Truggy, Losi TEN MT
Traxxas Summit & RC4WD TF2 SWB

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #20711
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Don't know. Do they make them in the weird .6 mod gear pitch?
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #20712
Tech Addict
 
Schs2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Don't know. Do they make them in the weird .6 mod gear pitch?
Yes for the cup racer if i remember correctly
__________________
VBC Lightning 10LM, Xray T4 Touring/USGT, M05v2
Losi 8ight 3.0 E Truggy, Losi TEN MT
Traxxas Summit & RC4WD TF2 SWB

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #20713
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Nah, those show up as being 48p. 0.6 is sometimes (erroneously) referred to as "metric 48" but it's completely different. I even got a Duratrax pinion once labelled that way. Not the same!

Great Hobbies should have no problems getting in a Robinson for you. The Kawada is available online. Tamiya also does a hardened pinion. PN 53509.
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #20714
Tech Adept
 
Boons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Two things...

1. There can be a massive difference between NiMH packs. If someone has managed to keep hold of some decent race cells then they are significantly better than cheap stick packs. And some cheap packs are better than others. NiMH's are basically a pain in the backside whereas LiPos create a very even playing field.

2. Any class that doesn't specify a labelled motor is far too easy to cheat in. There are so many silver can motors out there that nobody ever really knows what is being used. Some "cheating" may be entirely unintentional. We have run labelled HPI SATURN 20s for years and I don't know of a single dodgy motor being used. I can't say the same about other silvercan classes i've raced in.
Thank you Sir, all interesting stuff.

The NIMH packs are on my list of things to look into. I've got a top ESC, good servo, great car, good radio etc so I'd love to know what are the best NIMH cells out there??
__________________
Tamiya Mini M05 V2, Tamiya Mini M03, Carisma M40S brushless
Boons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #20715
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boons View Post
Thank you Sir, all interesting stuff.

The NIMH packs are on my list of things to look into. I've got a top ESC, good servo, great car, good radio etc so I'd love to know what are the best NIMH cells out there??
Decent NiMH cells haven't been in production for about 5 years. All that's left are the dirt cheap ones for the RTR and power tool markets. That's why it is crazy to insist on people using them.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:32 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0