Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 10-03-2006, 03:44 AM
Tech Adept

makes sense tony, tanks for letting me now

hey i got another question: besides rocket minis and crazy experiments like that trying to beat a speed record, which is the fastest motor + pinion you run in a normal club track?, i mean not oval or something
Old 10-03-2006, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We always run Sport-Tuned with 20t pinion, Thats the standard over here.

We tried 23turn motors once and only went a tiny bit quicker. The reason why? On a mini, you lose all the extra grunt in wheelspin. And around a track you really dont gain any advantage.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

i am runnig novak SS4300 Brushless , as i am the only one running mini , the other guys run tourings so i have to push the mini to the limit ... novak says that the 4300 is simlar to a 19T brushed

i realized the wheelspin , i have to gun it slowly, but once its on the way it goes very fast on the straight
Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

If you've seen the tracks we run on (Check out the video) a brushless wouldnt work, even the mild one you're running.

However, on the oval.....
Old 10-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default servo saver

earlier posts talked about a high torque server saver. Can someone tell me how it would improve performance/handling?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

i was looking not to improve performance , just to avoid the play the standard servo saver can have

i just re-checked mine and it looks like the play was coming not because the standard servo saver is playly , it came from the plastic input piece where the servo match , it looks like it was weared, so im gonna replace it for a newer one which matches more stiff and try again
Old 10-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

I think you'll find that you can spend a lot of time playing with servo savers and such to remove the play, and end up with a car that's actually a pig to drive.
Contrary to what you might think, some cars are engineered to have that little bit of play in them. I had several Corallys a number of years back where they specifically said to NOT take out any of the play in the steering system

Minis are similar. We spent ages taking it all out and ended up with a car that was truly awful. They just dont work like that. We use the standard servo saver with Tech Racing turnbuckle and ball joint kit. Still has a little play, but lasts a lot longer in normal use.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by minimanintaiwan
earlier posts talked about a high torque server saver. Can someone tell me how it would improve performance/handling?
If the servo saver is too weak as you turn the wheels might not turn because the saver flexed.
On the otherhand you don't want too strong of a servo saver for a particular servo because it wouldn't "give/flex" from an impact before something (gear) breaks in the servo.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

TonyGray

Did you finish the mini Assassin yet? If you did I want to ask if you see any wheel chatter when you turn the front wheels and throttle with the car off the ground. Thx

Also where did you guys get the ABC Genetic? The shipping from an HK place to the US is a killer.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

The Baby Assassin isnt going to be a runner, shelf-queen only I'm afraid. So I wont be able to tell you what it runs like... Got way too many 4WD Minis as it is and I cant run them all. Sticking to only running the Jap cars (Active Hobby, HPI etc) as they're easier to get bits for.

The Genetic came from rc-champ in Japan. Although for us Japan or HK are both OK shipping wise to Australia. Bit further for you guys though.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

The mini assasin actually runs quite well besides the wheel chatter. It's quick with lots of steering. Then again I'm running carpet with foams.

I'll check RC Champ for the ABC. You mentioned a belt drive version soon. Do you have any pics? Thx
Old 10-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

We have a couple of pics somewhere but the cars only been shown once or twice. And no official word on production yet.

I'll try and find the pics we had.....
Old 10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default servo

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
If the servo saver is too weak as you turn the wheels might not turn because the saver flexed.
On the otherhand you don't want too strong of a servo saver for a particular servo because it wouldn't "give/flex" from an impact before something (gear) breaks in the servo.
yah I run the tamiya white heavy duty saver everything else is stock/tcs legal
cur runs fine with some play in it....
Old 10-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Why does Tamiya include shafts with the M03 bearing kit?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Anyone working on the gear diff to stiffen it up? Pack with grease? Seems to me that if the diff action was slowed down, there would be less wheel spin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.