Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I've run a couple Protek 4200 45c packs for 3 years now and they still run strong with zero puff. The Reedy 4200 is probably the best pack right now and it's cheap.. Usually around $30-35.

On a side note our TCS race was last weekend and my observations are with the current rules.. The M06 with brushless is 0.5 a lap faster than the fwd cars period. The fact that they can carry more corner speed, less wheel spin and running superior shorty packs are going to make it very difficult for anything fwd to honestly compete on carpet. Very well setup fwd cars were at least 05-0.7 slower. Just my observations.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Now the red headed stepchild of the M series is the one to have! Lol.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
I promise Tamiya didn't slip me a $50 to say that since they are sitting in a pile of M06s
Old 02-20-2014, 12:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
The M06 with brushless is 0.5 a lap faster than the fwd cars period. The fact that they can carry more corner speed, less wheel spin and running superior shorty packs....
Interesting. I've been running my M04 for the past few months and have found it faster than my M05 where I drive most of the time. (well grooved in) It must be said that when I took it to another track (greener and dustier) it was a dog compared to my FWD cars. Interesting side note: Tire wear is very low with an M04, compared to my usual 03/05 setup. I ran a set of the newer S grips on the rear for close to a few months, twice a week and they finally blew out last Friday.

Do TCS rules allow shorty packs? I didn't think they were, as it would present a unique advantage. Our rules follow the "all packs must fit an M05/05 chassis without modification" model.

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
The M04 is the red headed step child. The M06 is the potentially prodigal son who ended up being a disappointment, due to complex personality issues (and many, many screws).
Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

On a side note our TCS race was last weekend and my observations are with the current rules.. The M06 with brushless is 0.5 a lap faster than the fwd cars period. The fact that they can carry more corner speed, less wheel spin and running superior shorty packs are going to make it very difficult for anything fwd to honestly compete on carpet. Very well setup fwd cars were at least 05-0.7 slower. Just my observations.[/QUOTE]

Core,

I looked at the results from the race, wasn't Wippler driving M06. That dudes a mini legend he could probably spank all of us with M01.

B.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've run a couple Protek 4200 45c packs for 3 years now and they still run strong with zero puff. The Reedy 4200 is probably the best pack right now and it's cheap.. Usually around $30-35.

On a side note our TCS race was last weekend and my observations are with the current rules.. The M06 with brushless is 0.5 a lap faster than the fwd cars period. The fact that they can carry more corner speed, less wheel spin and running superior shorty packs are going to make it very difficult for anything fwd to honestly compete on carpet. Very well setup fwd cars were at least 05-0.7 slower. Just my observations.
Thanks Core Creations. I'll stick to my reedy's then.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The M06 with brushless is 0.5 a lap faster than the fwd cars period. The fact that they can carry more corner speed, less wheel spin and running superior shorty packs are going to make it very difficult for anything fwd to honestly compete on carpet. Very well setup fwd cars were at least 05-0.7 slower.
Does this mean you (and therefore I) will be swapping over to the M06?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

I agree Whippler is a ridiculously good driver. But if you look back to last year check lap times in mini. My name is Charlie.There is and has been about .1 or less between him and I am a diehard M05 driver. I feel comfortable comparing with him as I've raced and placed 2nd to him more than anyone I've ever raced with.. Lol. I pull every last .1 out of my car and lady year in A3 I was able to surpass his fastest A main time by about a second. This year during the course of practice day his car with no changes other than brushless was almost .7 faster no matter what than my car and if anything my car is a little better than last year. In addition, the only cars to go sub 13 sec laps were all M06s , but those were new to those drivers. I bet with a little setup time they will be untouchable by the fwd cars. This is most likely only relative to high grip surfaces but that's a big gap.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

I agree Whippler is a ridiculously good driver. But if you look back to last year check lap times in mini. My name is Charlie.There is and has been about .1 or less between him and I am a diehard M05 driver. I feel comfortable comparing with him as I've raced and placed 2nd to him more than anyone I've ever raced with.. Lol. I pull every last .1 out of my car and lady year in A3 I was able to surpass his fastest A main time by about a second. This year during the course of practice day his car with no changes other than brushless was almost .7 faster no matter what than my car and if anything my car is a little better than last year. In addition, the only cars to go sub 13 sec laps were all M06s , but those were new to those drivers. I bet with a little setup time they will be untouchable by the fwd cars. This is most likely only relative to high grip surfaces but that's a big gap.
I was wondering why you didn't run Mini. It's no fun having someone run circles around you, and knowing it's the car. All that new-fangled rear-wheel-drive technology is amazing in the right conditions, eh? It's just a matter of time before the rest of the racing world discovers it. Oh, wait a minute...
Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

I was right in the 13 flat range when my 03 was at about 90 percent. I had to leave some push in it because I was sharing it with my 9 year old and was having a hard enough time keeping him from killing it. I know it had at least 2 tenths left in it with a more aggressive setup. Assuming that would have put my fast laps around 12.8, I bet Whip would have found a few MORE tenths in his car too.

I also finished 2nd to Whip a few years ago when we ran 17.5. Spread was about the same, about .5 advantage fast lap to the 06. HOWEVER, the FWD cars seem better in traffic and more forgiving, especially if things get AHEM rowdy. On the old carpet the groove was pretty narrow and I was definitely able to get around lapped traffic much easier with the FWD platform.

That being said, given the choice on the new higher traction carpet at the Plex, absolutely I would run an M06. I wish my son Charlie had won one of those!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by howardcano
I was wondering why you didn't run Mini. It's no fun having someone run circles around you, and knowing it's the car. All that new-fangled rear-wheel-drive technology is amazing in the right conditions, eh? It's just a matter of time before the rest of the racing world discovers it. Oh, wait a minute...
Well I was prepared to run 3 classes and my son was going to run 2 and it was apparent quickly that was going to be way too much. And seeing the gap it was an easy decision.. First time not racing mini at TCS for about 7 years.. Btw.. 1/12 is awesome with the RM01!

Ive had an M06 for a few years and sold it a month or so ago.. I won't be reinvesting.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So, is the use of shorty pack in an M06 just a loophole in the rules? Seems a bit of a glaring omission.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
So, is the use of shorty pack in an M06 just a loophole in the rules? Seems a bit of a glaring omission.
I was told last year from tech that it was clarified with Tamiya USA that it's ok to use square packs in the 06 because you don't have to modify the chassis to fit them. But geez, there's a huge difference in power from the latest and greatest shorty or brick packs over the rounded stick packs used in the fwd cars.

I will say Whippler was not running new packs, he had packs that were at least a year or two old. And he made sure with the track that it was legal so no bad on his part. But if I had the option of running the latest brick pack in my 05 I sure as hell would want to!!

I still love mini.. Just not interested in a particular car being better and different venues. For high grip the M06 is definitely better. On med low grip carpet the 05 shines and on asphalt it seems the 03 rocks so.

Last edited by Core Creations; 02-20-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

For me, Mini = Front-Wheel-Drive. That's what makes the class so wierd and wonderful. I have plenty of other rear-drive cars if I want to go faster.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by howardcano
For me, Mini = Front-Wheel-Drive. That's what makes the class so wierd and wonderful. I have plenty of other rear-drive cars if I want to go faster.
+1 Emphatically!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.