R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #20296
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Got my M05 up and running today. Ran about 25 laps total. Broke a left front steering knuckle then later on I completely demolished a servo saver which parked the M05 for the rest of the day.

During the time it was on the track I felt the motor was over powering the front inside wheel during the corners. Looking at getting a TA03 ball diff for my M05 to try and get better forward drive. Need to toughen up this guy so I can finish a 5 minute run.

Any tips on what I need to do or should do?
AudioStylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #20297
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
Can anyone supply some links to M-Chassis rally cars? All the old threads' links are no good it seems. I wanna put together an m03RA.
Here's some links: http://www.geocities.jp/feriocruise/minirally/

http://www.tam.ne.jp/nic/tires/tires_01e.html (Making cheap rally tires)

And then a few pictures of a chopped up $10 Tamiya Mini body to fit TC tires. (and what the chassis looks like.) (Not completely recommended. Silly thing likes to traction roll and it ate a pair of diff cups, and threw a pinion) http://imgur.com/a/WkcjR
pizzaboy192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #20298
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is a TA03 ball diff better than a m05 ball diff? or are they both the same?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #20299
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioStylz View Post
Got my M05 up and running today. Ran about 25 laps total. Broke a left front steering knuckle then later on I completely demolished a servo saver which parked the M05 for the rest of the day.

During the time it was on the track I felt the motor was over powering the front inside wheel during the corners. Looking at getting a TA03 ball diff for my M05 to try and get better forward drive. Need to toughen up this guy so I can finish a 5 minute run.

Any tips on what I need to do or should do?
When I built my M05 a few weeks ago I started out with the TA03 diff from the get go. I got a second M05 for the wife to play around with (she just loves the Mini Cooper) and it has the stock diff. Even just running them around the basement, every time she turns I can hear the inside wheel spin up. Since I have my spare diff I was going to try putting some silly putty in it and drop it in her car to see the difference.

I see you're in Kenosha. You practicing at Harbor Hobbies? I bought my M05 with the intention of running the TCS in March. I'm hoping to make it there this weekend as well for some practice; weather permitting.
Samich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #20300
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just got done test running my mini for the first time on brushless. All I can say is . I think I am going to like this.

Jason
Old 01-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #20301
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samich View Post
When I built my M05 a few weeks ago I started out with the TA03 diff from the get go. I got a second M05 for the wife to play around with (she just loves the Mini Cooper) and it has the stock diff. Even just running them around the basement, every time she turns I can hear the inside wheel spin up. Since I have my spare diff I was going to try putting some silly putty in it and drop it in her car to see the difference.

I see you're in Kenosha. You practicing at Harbor Hobbies? I bought my M05 with the intention of running the TCS in March. I'm hoping to make it there this weekend as well for some practice; weather permitting.
Yeah I race/practice at harbor hobbies. My main class is VTA and I have my TC3 fairly setup. I bought a TA05 and M05 with the intentions to race them both at the TCS event as well. Right now it's looking like the TA05 will not make the event mainly because I still need body, wheels/tires, servo mount hardware and a servo that will actually fit! Looking at roughly $125 to complete it.

I got my M05 running but not very reliable. It will run down a VTA car fairly easy but still seems kind of slow IMO. Last time I ran a M05 I packed the diff with the tamiya silver based grease which worked great. Might have to do that next week.

I plan on racing this Sunday as long as the track is open, last I heard northern IL was put under a Winter Storm Watch which will most likely turn into a Storm Warning by tomorrow afternoon. I've heard snow amounts of up to 7-9".
AudioStylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #20302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to SerpentCT4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
I have another question.

When I'm not using my Mini, I'd like to mount the body lower, but it seems it hits the front shock tower. Is there a way to mount it any lower?
Anyone have any info?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #20303
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Is there any demand for the HPI miata bodies? I have a NIP one I was going to send to TBG to have copied...
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #20304
Tech Rookie

Im having a total brain fart moment with the rear hub carrier. I took the standard hub carriers off to fit the 3racing rear hub carriers with adjustables and i cannot for the life of me work out how to fit them. Ball ends etc are there but looking at the original and these there worlds apart in shape. Any advice or pics of your adjustables attaches to ball on hub would be great.
Green_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #20305
Tech Regular

Well my plans to hit Tamiya this weekend are a bust as the whole trip fell apart. So the mini will have its first trial run locally tomorrow. Hopefully Carlton you can make it and bring Daniel with you. I really would like a run together to compare notes and performance.

Jason
Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #20306
Tech Addict

Are super mini CVA shocks worth the money?
Can not afford the tfr shocks. Maybe the 3racing ones.

Which ones would most of you suggest?
I am at least upgrading the shocks to have less basketball affect on the track when i hit a small bump or imperfect surface area

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #20307
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
Are super mini CVA shocks worth the money?
Can not afford the tfr shocks. Maybe the 3racing ones.

Which ones would most of you suggest?
I am at least upgrading the shocks to have less basketball affect on the track when i hit a small bump or imperfect surface area
I think the TRF's are well worth it besides being TCS legal. I might be wrong but if TCS means nothing the 3racing ones should be good too. When I have the TRF's and seemed to me to be one of the single biggest upgrade I did over the stock plastic shocks I had on mine.

Jason
Old 02-01-2014, 02:09 AM   #20308
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Is there any demand for the HPI miata bodies? I have a NIP one I was going to send to TBG to have copied...
Since the discontinued it there seem to be more people looking for one. It's very low profile and fits the M05 pretty good, especially when using a set of M03 front body posts at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Machine View Post
Im having a total brain fart moment with the rear hub carrier. I took the standard hub carriers off to fit the 3racing rear hub carriers with adjustables and i cannot for the life of me work out how to fit them. Ball ends etc are there but looking at the original and these there worlds apart in shape. Any advice or pics of your adjustables attaches to ball on hub would be great.
Which car are you working on? Any part numbers for the items you're attempting to fit?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #20309
Tech Rookie

Which car are you working on? Any part numbers for the items you're attempting to fit?[/QUOTE]

Hi yeah its MO5 chassis adustable upper arms # 54182 and fitting them to the 3racing aluminium rear hubs.
Green_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #20310
Tech Addict

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnojay View Post
I think the TRF's are well worth it besides being TCS legal. I might be wrong but if TCS means nothing the 3racing ones should be good too. When I have the TRF's and seemed to me to be one of the single biggest upgrade I did over the stock plastic shocks I had on mine.

Jason
Well i just need something better than the friction shocks. I do not race tcs. If i could afford the tfr shocks i am still not looking to spend over 30$ for shocks on a mini. So thats why i asked about the CVA shocks and 3racing ones.

Marc

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote