Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fresnojay

My problem is as traction comes up over the day it still gets harder and harder to keep all 4 on the ground. Usually towards the end of the second heat I start 3 wheeling. In the main I look like a stunt driver going around corners on 2 wheels. Now it doesn't seem to me that I am really driving any faster in the corners. But we all know its not often the case.
Sounds familiar!

Are you saying they aren't supposed to do that?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I've always heard of CA'ing the sidewall on the mini tires but never actually seen it done. How do you guys apply it or is there a technique? Just smear it on and hope it doesn't make a mess?

Is this only done on 60D tires or have people done it on 55mm tires as well?

Just curious...
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I apply the glue to the middle of the sidewall using the bottle. Then put my finger inside a plastic bag and rub it around in a circular motion. I use losi standard tire glue. Works good and it stays off the tread.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ive attached a pic of the tire to help with the explanation. I only use the bottle (no finger etc), and i would recommend a gel or thicker type. Its still easy to use the thin tire glue, but it runs very easily if your not careful. I use the end of the bottle to move the glue around, and slowly add CA. When I use thin CA, i put it on very lightly, to stop it running.

See the ridge on the side, right at the edge of the tread blocks? I use this to place the glue on the edge of the tread blocks, as the glue doesnt need to go up the side wall. If your using CA on the sidewall to increase the stiffness, thats another issue. To begin with, I only add about 1-1.5mm of glue from the ridge. IMHO its better to add a little more CA each time, otherwise you will need a dremel with a sanding disk. Try the 1-1.5mm, if the car still comes up, add another .5-1mm. Its ok if a little runs between the blocks, its the CA on the tread surface we are working with. Try to make sure that the extent of the CA is the same all around the tire each time. Let the CA set, with the outside of the tire facing up.

This of course is for carpet racing, we dont get alot of asphalt racing unfortunately

The reason for adding a little each time is that, especially locally, we require so much steering to be competitive, 1mm too much CA and your out of the A final. I usually put on enough to stop it traction rolling, but the car still comes up on two wheels when run very hard into a corner, but not much. this way you still have enough tread and grip to make it through the slower stuff quickly. Hope that helps
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
MGrip.bmp (197.8 KB, 160 views)
Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know how top speed is affected with different tyre sizes? I am running 60d tyres and going to try Sweep slicks.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by markrobinson
I clean and apply additive every run. When I've forgotten to do this I find the tyres "come in" on the 3rd or 4th lap
What additive do you use? And how do you clean them mate?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boons
Does anyone know how top speed is affected with different tyre sizes? I am running 60d tyres and going to try Sweep slicks.
Yes. The difference between a 60mm and a 55mm tire is about 9%. You might get a slightly better launch on the small tire, but the lower top speed will outweigh it overall.

It's a shame. There are loads of good 55mm tires available, premounted and ready to go.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Yes. The difference between a 60mm and a 55mm tire is about 9%. You might get a slightly better launch on the small tire, but the lower top speed will outweigh it overall.

It's a shame. There are loads of good 55mm tires available, premounted and ready to go.
So 55MM tires for very curvatious tracks, and 60mm ones for tracks with long straights?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you.

The two tracks I race on with my silver can take around 10 secs to complete and constant corners with one straight, so I'm hoping the new tyres can hold off the 60d equipped cars!

Probably a stupid question but when I drove my car around the house on domestic carpet earlier, whilst on the new slicks, it had little grip. I'm hoping it's a combination of new tyres and household carpet! Do the slicks take some bedding in? Will they certainly need additive on carpet?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192
So 55MM tires for very curvatious tracks, and 60mm ones for tracks with long straights?
You'll still have to be a demon on the infield to stay with the pack. It is fun going into corners really hard though.

Originally Posted by Boons
The two tracks I race on with my silver can...

...I drove my car around the house on domestic carpet earlier, whilst on the new slicks, it had little grip. I'm hoping it's a combination of new tyres and household carpet! Do the slicks take some bedding in? Will they certainly need additive on carpet?
Silver cans might make a difference. There can be so much inconsistency between them that a high revving one could change things up.

You'll likely need a little sauce and he right carpet to make them do their thing. They don't need bedding in as much as a good cleaning and a few laps to set them straight.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

Just picked up a Tamiya M03 kit.

I am wondering what lipo I can use in it. Also, can I use a lipo with the stock ESC that came with the kit?

Also, what electronics would make it a bit faster than the silver can motor? Is brushless a bad idea for this chassis?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S

I am wondering what lipo I can use in it. Also, can I use a lipo with the stock ESC that came with the kit?

Also, what electronics would make it a bit faster than the silver can motor? Is brushless a bad idea for this chassis?

Thanks!
This lipo is perfect for it Peak Power Max Sport 45C 4200 Lipo 7.4V
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2745
Yes you can use a lipo with the stock ESC.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

Nice, I'll order one tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S

Thanks!
Where on earth did you find a M03 kit? I thought they weren't available any more or upgraded to M05,M06. I'm in Central Calif. so online ordering is all I have access to. Our LHS only carries off road racing stuff.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

You'll still have to be a demon on the infield to stay with the pack. It is fun going into corners really hard though.

Silver cans might make a difference. There can be so much inconsistency between them that a high revving one could change things up.

You'll likely need a little sauce and he right carpet to make them do their thing. They don't need bedding in as much as a good cleaning and a few laps to set them straight.
Thank you Sir.

Would you recommend a particular sauce? And how do you clean the tyres?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.