R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #19861
Tech Adept
 
Boons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Re the amount of steering travel on my M05, I've left my servo alone and haven't reduced the overall travel at all. Is this the norm? Or do people back it off a little? All I've done to reduce travel is use the steering system and hub rear mounting holes. I also set -50% exponential to reduce the sensitivity when on long partial steering sweepers.

Cheers
__________________
Tamiya Mini M05 V2, Tamiya Mini M03, Carisma M40S brushless
Boons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #19862
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somerset, UK
Posts: 106
Default

Ryan

The numbers refer to how hard the rubber is, referred to as shore. It's normal to run a harder tyre up front. Probably as you did with m and s grips
markrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #19863
Tech Adept
 
Boons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrobinson View Post
Ryan

The numbers refer to how hard the rubber is, referred to as shore. It's normal to run a harder tyre up front. Probably as you did with m and s grips
Ah I see, thank you
__________________
Tamiya Mini M05 V2, Tamiya Mini M03, Carisma M40S brushless
Boons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #19864
Tech Regular
 
fresnojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Ok so I have had a few good runs with the CA'ed fronts and have been playing with turning down the D/R to additionally tune out the dreaded traction roll. The CA'ed fronts went a long way to taming the car down as has the turning down of the D/R. I have tried many of the tips and suggestions given here. They have all helped LOADS.

My problem is as traction comes up over the day it still gets harder and harder to keep all 4 on the ground. Usually towards the end of the second heat I start 3 wheeling. In the main I look like a stunt driver going around corners on 2 wheels. Now it doesn't seem to me that I am really driving any faster in the corners. But we all know its not often the case.

So here is the question. I remember being told to try CA on the rears to further quell the beast. But inside or outside first? Is there another point of focus I am forgetting? I will review my bookmarks in my online mini info folder to see if I am missing something as well.

Jason
__________________
Tamiya TB-02, Tamiya M-05 V2 Pro, Tamiya TA-05, Tamiya F103,
fresnojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #19865
Tech Rookie
 
typhon92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: France
Posts: 18
Send a message via MSN to typhon92
Default

The Honda CR-X Raybrig is very nice, you have pictures more size?
__________________
this is not the car that makes the driver but the driver makes the car

http://www.petitrc.com/
typhon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #19866
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnojay View Post
Ok so I have had a few good runs with the CA'ed fronts and have been playing with turning down the D/R to additionally tune out the dreaded traction roll. The CA'ed fronts went a long way to taming the car down as has the turning down of the D/R. I have tried many of the tips and suggestions given here. They have all helped LOADS.

My problem is as traction comes up over the day it still gets harder and harder to keep all 4 on the ground. Usually towards the end of the second heat I start 3 wheeling. In the main I look like a stunt driver going around corners on 2 wheels. Now it doesn't seem to me that I am really driving any faster in the corners. But we all know its not often the case.

So here is the question. I remember being told to try CA on the rears to further quell the beast. But inside or outside first? Is there another point of focus I am forgetting? I will review my bookmarks in my online mini info folder to see if I am missing something as well.

Jason
Always the outside, occasionally the inside also. Try this on the fronts. Carry the cyano right onto the tread itself and cover just the edge of the 1st rib. It's better on asphalt to go too far than not far enough. The reason being that the cyano will wear back to where it should be in a few batteries. If you go too far the car will push till it wears off. If you did not go far enough, you'll continue to have traction rolling problems.

These suggestions are for asphalt only and particularly Tamiya S-Grip tires. Carpet is a different story cause the cyano takes forever to wear down. If you go too far there, you'll probably have to manually trim it back on something like a tire truer.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #19867
Tech Regular
 
fresnojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Grandpa, I have ca on both inside and out but tested which handled better on our track, Inside only vs inside and out. The inside and out was hands down better. But looks like I need to run it up the tread some more. Will do some more testing on the fronts before I mess with the rears. Thanks for that.

Jason
__________________
Tamiya TB-02, Tamiya M-05 V2 Pro, Tamiya TA-05, Tamiya F103,
fresnojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #19868
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnojay View Post
Grandpa, I have ca on both inside and out but tested which handled better on our track, Inside only vs inside and out. The inside and out was hands down better. But looks like I need to run it up the tread some more. Will do some more testing on the fronts before I mess with the rears. Thanks for that.

Jason
You can also do the outside of the rears, but it will in some cases make the car "loose". Whether you want to do that depends on what your car is doing or what your set up is. For example, when using the 1.0 blocks on the rear, you usually don't want to cyano the rears. when the 2.0 blocks are used, I generally will use cyano on the rears. Cyano when using the 2.0 rear blocks or rear uprights will help the car rotate better.

Couple of other points, using cyano on the inside doesn't do much, but may help in extreme cases. When using cyano on the rears, don't go as far. Carry the cyano short of the treads.

These are just general suggestions only. The amount and how far will vary from car to car and the amount of grip you have at your track. Where I run, we often have to change tires and change the set ups a bit to accommodate the track conditions on that day.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #19869
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

Personally I have never found CA glue on the rear to work for any condition. The CA glue is there to reduce the traction, once the car rolls over onto the CA, so it doesnt continue to roll over. The benefit of CA on the front tires, once the car rolls to the CA, the car will understeer, which can be controllable. However, if you run CA on the rear, your car will spin out as soon as it reaches the CA on the rear tires.

Also CA only on the outside. Inside of the tire does not work.
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #19870
Tech Apprentice
 
Marklas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 85
Default

Danish M-Chassis race last weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTs82WHcyH8
__________________
/Mark
Marklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #19871
Tech Adept
 
Boons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrobinson View Post
Ryan

The numbers refer to how hard the rubber is, referred to as shore. It's normal to run a harder tyre up front. Probably as you did with m and s grips
Do you use additive on the sweeps? Or do they just work on carpet?
__________________
Tamiya Mini M05 V2, Tamiya Mini M03, Carisma M40S brushless
Boons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #19872
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somerset, UK
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boons View Post
Do you use additive on the sweeps? Or do they just work on carpet?
I clean and apply additive every run. When I've forgotten to do this I find the tyres "come in" on the 3rd or 4th lap
markrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #19873
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Hey, not much mini action in this, but a film-maker has begun a documentary series on RC racing in western Canada. He's starting with our WCICS series. (biggest in the world!) The first episode is online. Some of these guys are incredible, world class drivers and a few can completely blitz the competition in mini. Have a look!

Come Drive With Us - Part 1
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #19874
Tech Adept
 
marcos graveyar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newtownforbes, Ireland
Posts: 211
Send a message via AIM to marcos graveyar
Default

I have the 54410 lightweight swing shafts fitted to my universal drives but it turns out they are made from blancmange.







Is it possible to get the original swing shaft as a separate item or will I have to but the whole UJ ?
marcos graveyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #19875
Tech Fanatic
 
cartix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 915
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Hey, not much mini action in this, but a film-maker has begun a documentary series on RC racing in western Canada. He's starting with our WCICS series. (biggest in the world!) The first episode is online. Some of these guys are incredible, world class drivers and a few can completely blitz the competition in mini. Have a look!

Come Drive With Us - Part 1
Thanks for posting this, good stuff!
__________________
Cars and boats, lots!
cartix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (1 members and 6 guests)
PapOdie
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:19 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0