but this last weekend I lost 2 lipos batteries in my m-05
took a hit on the side ( twice ) and cook my batteries
I thought it was esc/motor but when it was removed it works fine
1 baTT was a gens ace other was a wolf pack
what / how do you guys run your battery in m-05
it allways seem to stick out the side
I live in canada so lipo selection here kinda sucks here
what to do?
Heya, fellow Canuck here. What kind of hits are you taking that destroyed 2 batteries that quickly? Are the other guys driving bricks with wheels? We get some pretty brutal bashing in our mini class here, but it's pretty rare anything like this happens, if it ever has. I've run Gens Ace, Intellect, Orion, Reedy, etc. without issue.

What's taking the damage? Is it where the wires come out the end of the pack, or a cracked case? BTW, where are you located? There are some good sources (and a bunch of online retailers) that offer reasonable shipping, etc.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #18692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yesterday an M06 (white miata) takes TQ by 3 seconds on a medium grip asphalt track. Still fast if you have good hands.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #18693
Tech Elite

The TCS Regional at Aliso Viejo or the Tamiya USA track was just this past weekend. Nice field of 43 Minis with a lot of close racing. M03 chassis cars were dominant, but the fastest car there was a M05. The top ten were 8 or 9 M03 chassis and 1 or 2 M05s. Sorry Joel, but the fastest M06 was in the C or D Main.

And yes, I wasn't in the hunt, but did Qualify in the middle of the A Main. The car I was "driving" was as fast as any out there, but not in my hands. Still, not too bad for an "old" guy.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #18694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Great work Bob. The MO5 is the fast car here now adays.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #18695
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
And yes, I wasn't in the hunt, but did Qualify in the middle of the A Main. The car I was "driving" was as fast as any out there, but not in my hands. Still, not too bad for an "old" guy.
That's great news Granpa! Congrats on doing so well. Maybe the handout tires (S and A grip) do not match well with the M06?

Last edited by rccartips; 04-10-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #18696
Tech Rookie

For the Wisconsin folks.....

Would there be any interest to run a Wednesday night Mini series this summer in Oshkosh? The carpet scene really dies down during the summer and I'd be interested in running a Mini series if we could drum up 10-15 drivers. I'd also like to run pretty strict TCS rules.....

Any comments, thoughts, etc?

Rob
Rolology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #18697
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
That's great news Granpa! Congrats on doing so well. Maybe the handout tires (S and A grip) do not match well with the M06?
It probably has more to do with the fact that the best drivers there happened to be running front wheel drive chassis'.

At our track there are a few of us running M06s now and the FWD minis that are running can't keep up with us. But I know that if some of the fast drivers decided to run Mini that they would probably beat us easily with whatever chassis they decided to run.

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #18698
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
Great work Bob. The MO5 is the fast car here now adays.
Thanx Calvin. The great work was in the chassis set up and I'm a pretty good Silvercan motor "tuner". I just think the M03 is more suited to the Tamiya track than the M05. I'm going to try developing a set up for M05 cause that's as fast as I can make the M03. My driving "sucks".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Thank you too Joel. No it has more to do with the low grip surface. The guys have tried every tire available to us from ABC, Ride, Sweep, RP, Shimizu, and probably a few I don't know about. I rushed out and bought a kit like all of us. I'll admit to not even taking the wrapper off the box. Saw much better drivers than me really struggling with it.

[QUOTE=kwkride;12030395]It probably has more to do with the fact that the best drivers there happened to be running front wheel drive chassis'.

At our track there are a few of us running M06s now and the FWD minis that are running can't keep up with us. But I know that if some of the fast drivers decided to run Mini that they would probably beat us easily with whatever chassis they decided to run.[/QUOTE

No, that's not true. All of the fastest guys in our area have tried the M06 and none of them races it. I don't know what kind of track surface you run on, but the 06 is only competitive on indoor carpet and only in the hands of a very competent driver.

I'm happy for you that you're doing so well with your 06. I gave my M06 kit away and had a hard time finding anyone who wanted it, even for free.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #18699
Tech Master

Quote:
. . .I don't know what kind of track surface you run on, but the 06 is only competitive on indoor carpet and only in the hands of a very competent driver. . . .
We are running on carpet here. The surface obviously makes a big difference then. The TCS race here was won by Erik Wippler running an M06. Not sure what the rest of the mix was though. I was back in the "B" with my M05.

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #18700
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
We are running on carpet here. The surface obviously makes a big difference then. The TCS race here was won by Erik Wippler running an M06. Not sure what the rest of the mix was though. I was back in the "B" with my M05.
You didn't mention that Erik Wippler was the driver. He could set up and win with a TCS legal bar of soap. He is not in the same class as the rest of us mere mortals. By far the best Mini guy around.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #18701
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Quote:
You didn't mention that Erik Wippler was the driver. He could set up and win with a TCS legal bar of soap. He is not in the same class as the rest of us mere mortals. By far the best Mini guy around.
Hey now, my lowly M05L ultimately ran tbe fastest main in mini in Omaha that weekend, eclipsing Whippler by 1 sec.!! But...its true, Whippler is a beast of a setup/ driver! And yes, he beat me again..i took 2nd overall. Im determined to beat him one day.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #18702
Tech Master

My goal is to be in the "A" with you guys next year. I'm getting better, but still a second a lap off the pace that you guys were running.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #18703
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Creations View Post
Hey now, my lowly M05L ultimately ran tbe fastest main in mini in Omaha that weekend, eclipsing Whippler by 1 sec.!! But...its true, Whippler is a beast of a setup/ driver! And yes, he beat me again..i took 2nd overall. Im determined to beat him one day.
Nah Charlie, we were talking more about the merits of the M06 vs the 05 or 03. As far as set up and driver skills are concerned, I've run with you before and know you are highly skilled. My comments were not to question those, but to remark on his considerable talent. Frankly, he didn't win cause the 06 is better, but because he was a little better.

So in the debate as to the merits of the 06 to the others, leaving the Wippler or Whippler guy out of the equation, which is better????? Knowing your determination, I'll bet if you thought the 06 was better, you would have had the 06 rather than the "lowly M05L".
Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #18704
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

The venue makes all the difference. On carpet, id go 06 or 05. I prefer fwd just becsuse it gives me more ability to change lines, hit the brakes ..drive it like its stolen. The 06 is better than the 04 by a mile..but it really likes high grip surfaces. On asphalt...id pass on the 06. I ran the 03 some and honestly, it had what seemed like more yank out of the corners than the 05. I ran the TA03 diff like you suggested and it worked great.Sadly i didnt have enough time to devote to the 03, but it was within a few tenths of my 05 right out of the box. I do prefer the 03 steering setup. Now that i have a good 03, i can devote some setup time to it and see what i can do.

I agree, the 06 needs a really good driver to get it just right to fight, even on carpet. When 1st to 8th is a tenth or 2 difference per lap..thats when the 06 slips with mortal drivers.

Most tracks here are carpet medium to high grip. So ill be starting from scratch on asphalt. And if i can swing the nationals, the 03 will be ready. I just wish i had more track time on Tamiyas track...lots of lap time to be had with more wheel time on that track.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!

Last edited by Core Creations; 04-10-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #18705
Tech Elite

I almost quickly gave up on the M06. After 4 races, it was still a laggard (1sec off the pace). But of course, the M05s already have around 3 years of tuning experience.

Stuck with the M06 and did lots of time. Lots. And lots. Finally the car showed life and is faster than my M05. Now TQ in our indoor asphalt track. With just 3 months of tuning. Still getting faster.

Hard to keep running the M06 for the first 5 races and kept getting beat. But now it is all good.

Different tracks different results I guess. But nice to see good battles between rwd and fwd, makes the races very interesting.