Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nolo148, are you talking about the Orca spec systems? The number one issue with them, or any BL system, is the torque they produce. Maintaining corner speed and managing wheel spin are the biggest factors in going fast. Makes me miss the soft launch of silver cans a little bit.

Mini weight: Barely 1200g ready to race. SWB, 3300mah lipo. Corners better at 1400g, but is a pig out of slow corners.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
hey grandpa thanks

the car is a swb but will move to mwb for the race i think as my home track is tight and technical but the ther track where the race is is bigger open and flowing , and of coarse it is carpet ;-) at the moment here in NL there is snow on the ground outside so indoors at the moment

did look towards tweek , altered the shock preload and this helped emensly but i am interested in your Detweeking procedure
Before we do the tweak procedure, the status of the #1016 premounts is this. I managed to talk to Fred Medel today at the track, and my understanding is that the components are here and off to be glued. The ETA is about 1 month before the retailers will have them. Apparently there are two suppliers/makers of the S Grips and that there may have been a difference between the two.

A tweak station may be better, but this works for me. First set your ride height and whatever else you can set like the TX trim to zero. Set with the shock collars even. Locate and mark the midpoint of the chassis. Lift the car at that point with an X-acto or a small round rod or even an allen driver. One tire will lift off the table before the other. Go diagonally across the car and screw that shock collar down and/or raise the shock collar on the same side. If you're checking from the rear of the car, you adjust the shock collars on the front. You have to go up on one and down on the other or you will change the ride height. Turn the car around and do the other end.

There are a couple of things to be aware of though. Your shocks must smoothly fully extend w/out binding or this won't work. Have the car ready to run with the battery installed and hooked up. It will change your steering trim and you should reset you steering linkages rather than banging in a bunch of trim. The first time you do this, it takes a bit of time cause you have to fiddle with the steering linkage. Subsequent times only take a few minutes.

I have a board with leveling screws and 4 small scales, which can be placed under each wheel. I rarely use it now cause the above procedure gets it pretty close.

Last edited by Granpa; 01-12-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: addition of one word
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for going to the source on this one, Bob! I know there have been multiple suppliers for some time. A few years ago, the regular stock would be marked as "made in xxxxxxx" but the really good tires said "made in Japan" on the box. Even though the Japanese tires were softer, they weren't as gummy as this batch! I'll try a few tricks to firm them up.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Nolo148, are you talking about the Orca spec systems? The number one issue with them, or any BL system, is the torque they produce. Maintaining corner speed and managing wheel spin are the biggest factors in going fast. Makes me miss the soft launch of silver cans a little bit.

Mini weight: Barely 1200g ready to race. SWB, 3300mah lipo. Corners better at 1400g, but is a pig out of slow corners.
Yup, the orca BL systems. Looks like there is a lot for me to learn about the minis. So I assume my car pulling to one side on the straight has something to do with the tweak?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

May seem like a silly question, but I assume mixing reinforced gears and standard is ok? No tolerance issues?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nolo148
Yup, the orca BL systems. Looks like there is a lot for me to learn about the minis. So I assume my car pulling to one side on the straight has something to do with the tweak?
It could be one factor of several. It may not have anything to do with it, but when I adjust for tweak, it seems as tho less toe out is needed.

Please, I do know the reason why this is so, if this is so. Don't need anyone to explain it.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I've found it's more often alignment than tweak that does this, unless the tweak is serious. It's possible to have what looks like a perfectly aligned car go our of whack. As GP said, getting the alignment right is preferable to feeding in a bunch of trim to correct for bad alignment. I'm usually able to eyeball my alignment within a hair and adjust sub-trim to correct if necessary. Sometimes I nail it, dead on.

The other things to watch for are, of course, the aforementioned tweak, some kind of parasitic drag on one side, or something broken. About your launch out of corners: What have you got for a diff. Most of the faster guys in WCICS are running tight, oil filled diffs or spools. (...and they're really incredible drivers. Our talent pool compares very well with any other. I'm still wearing water wings in the shallow end.)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
May seem like a silly question, but I assume mixing reinforced gears and standard is ok? No tolerance issues?
Yes. No problems. Which chassis are you running? The M03 has/had some clearance issues with the reinforced spur gear that requires some careful work with a Dremel.

Jim
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I've found it's more often alignment than tweak that does this, unless the tweak is serious. It's possible to have what looks like a perfectly aligned car go our of whack. As GP said, getting the alignment right is preferable to feeding in a bunch of trim to correct for bad alignment. I'm usually able to eyeball my alignment within a hair and adjust sub-trim to correct if necessary. Sometimes I nail it, dead on.

The other things to watch for are, of course, the aforementioned tweak, some kind of parasitic drag on one side, or something broken. About your launch out of corners: What have you got for a diff. Most of the faster guys in WCICS are running tight, oil filled diffs or spools. (...and they're really incredible drivers. Our talent pool compares very well with any other. I'm still wearing water wings in the shallow end.)

Jim
Im running the stock gear diff stuffed with putty.
However, my car seems to have a problem after turning left or right. For example, I've noticed when I turn left and then let go of the steering wheel, the left wheel has like 3 or 4 degrees of toe out. Same with the right wheel. Im using a sanwa digital servo so I dont understand why its happening.
Also how are you guys measuring toe out/in?
Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thetweeker
Are posted weights with body on or off ? We are getting 1240g with lipo and no body on M05. Also we run 17.5T with sensored ESC. With body 1340g.
My M05 LWB weighs in at 1289g, body off, but with Black Can, motor fan and 2400mah NiMh.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Nolo148,

I would be checking my servo saver if you using one. Sounds like it is not working correctly. I would also check the linkages between the knuckles and steering to ensure they are not bent.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im running the stock gear diff stuffed with putty.
However, my car seems to have a problem after turning left or right. For example, I've noticed when I turn left and then let go of the steering wheel, the left wheel has like 3 or 4 degrees of toe out. Same with the right wheel. Im using a sanwa digital servo so I dont understand why its happening.
Also how are you guys measuring toe out/in?
Thanks
I've noticed on the M05 that the steering is sloppy enough that it doesn't fully recenter after turning in either direction. Tis is a bit annoying when you are trying to center the servo, but doesn't seem to be a problem when driving. Just don't let go of the wheel and expect it to drive straight: steer it there, instead.

I did also have a problem with one of the bell cranks bending and causing the steering to bind. In my case, it prevented full steering travel, and caused the steering to fail to recenter when it was far off center.

Alan
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robindog
I've noticed on the M05 that the steering is sloppy enough that it doesn't fully recenter after turning in either direction. Tis is a bit annoying when you are trying to center the servo, but doesn't seem to be a problem when driving. Just don't let go of the wheel and expect it to drive straight: steer it there, instead.

I did also have a problem with one of the bell cranks bending and causing the steering to bind. In my case, it prevented full steering travel, and caused the steering to fail to recenter when it was far off center.

Alan

what kind of servo saver are you using?? the kit one would cause some of what you're talking about...put upgrading to a kimborough or the Tamiya hi-torque will help minimize some of the centering issue
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

sill question...

does anyone know if the Eunos body will fit the M05?? I wanna try something different
Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by k_bojar
sill question...

does anyone know if the Eunos body will fit the M05?? I wanna try something different
Yes the miata fits so does the alfa
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

This may have been posted before, but has anyone tried a spool???? What are the driving characteristics and how durable are they?????

When you "stuff" a gear diff, how tightly do you pack it???? I've always just shimmed mine and my one attempt to "stuff" a gear diff was a disaster. Took me hours to clean it all up. What do you use?????

Who has the best oil filled gear diff???? Presently I have the SpecR unit sitting on my bench, but really have some misgivings about how fragile the gears look. It still hasn't seen the inside of my Outlaw Mini.

Outlaw Mini. Definition. One that does not comply with TCS Rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.